Sakura the Sake Rocket

looking great man... love the colors! have you looked at the VW coils, for some reason i remember people where using a i think bug coil on these?

I hate points. That is all on that subject. But I love the bike. That tank color is perfect.

Those coils from Z1 look like just the ticket! I've been wanting a couple blue Bosch VW coils but $15 beats the pants off $50 any day. Also nice, the silver will lend itself to what I have in mind for the exterior treatment. Thanks for pointing those out.

Kiley: I'm right there with you, if it weren't for to idea of the visual element I'd already be set on electronic myself. Fact is I'll likely ditch'm. The tank paint.....well.....got a solid plan for that.

Thanks guys!

Thanks Joey!

Ok, here's another update with all the info (and some boobies) at the blog:
Homagemotoworks blog

I've been thinking about my tank mounting and there just weren't any good answers coming to me. The Wards/Riverside-Bennelli dirtbike tnak in neato but it's made form some really thin sheet and I tried a couple test beads that blew thru no matter how low I turned my machine so ..... I got a little creative.
The tank will be held to the frame with a leather belt that will match the seat.

Attachments

• tankmount2.jpg
    tankmount2.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 351
  • tankmount4.jpg
    tankmount4.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 353
  • tankmount7.jpg
    tankmount7.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 320
  • tankmount5.jpg
    tankmount5.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 337
I see how you made that brass piece for the back end of the tank on the back bone. Could you make some kinda clip to go over that end piece just for a lil added security along with the strap?

haplo_84: Yeah I could, there's enough material to work with but I don't think it'll be needed. Just the same, probably not bad to be prepared.....thanks!

Tim: Yeah I've got some 1/8" d55 silicone that should do great there and some chubby O-rings for around the peg. I will likely solder in some additional surface area to the front mounts too just for shits and giggles.....this tank hold around a gallon and a half so not a lot of weight to worry about....

actually i think i may have just had a stroke of genius depending on if you can fo this. But ig you where to machine it in such a way that it slots into a divot in the brass clip so that when you bolt it down it locks into place that way there would be no need for a clip. Idk if that made sense or not?

Yeah, I get it.....not a bad idea. Since the belt and tension spring will be pulling forward anyway it wouldn't be difficult to do at all.....kinda dumb not to in fact. Thanks man, what a good idea!

Glad to give ideas where i can, I was just cooking dinner when i was like * :eek: lightbulb came on*, to bad my ability and lack of tools prevents me from following through on my ideas.

Thanks, it's starting to imply 'motorcycle' again instead of 'heap-o-parts'.

After listening to several people tell me I'm a moron and (unfortunately for my ego) also point out exactly HOW I'm a moron, it looks like I'll be redoing the mounting. Same setup just a little more developed. I'll be implementing Haplo's rear peg locking idea (that's a good one) and redoing the front mounts to allow for larger bottom contact pads. My plan was to build up a silicone rubber 'pad' to take the vibration so the crap tank material doesn't fatigue and die. I just didn't leave enough surface area this time around so they'll have to be redone.

damnit........

I haven't had much time to mess with the project, lots of work and such....that's a good thing. Oh...and Dad decided to climb his 69 year old butt up a ladder then fall off his roof...so there's that.

But....I did have time to do a little work this afternoon.....
I made the finned bits you see in these pics and am in the process of making matching motor mount plates because fins make it faster.....right? RIGHT!! By making I mean I've painted dyechem on a piece of aluminum and scribed all the important cut lines....and propped the entire thing up against the wall with the intentions of getting 'round to it'....soon(?)

These parts are sand blasted post process..

In the mean time, I decided she needed a little contrast so I added some pretty brass bits just for giggles.

Unfortunately the camera I'm using in the shop (crappy old D510) makes the otherwise lovely patina on the cases look like shit so I'll likely be yanking hte engine and painting then at some point....soon(ish?)

Attachments

• P1010323.JPG
    P1010323.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 334
  • P1010324.JPG
    P1010324.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 356
  • P1010325.JPG
    P1010325.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 339
Top = timing cover
middle = oil filter cover
bottom = stator cover

The oil filter cover was an amazing pain in the ass to make, as the engine oil passes thru this piece like some kind of crazed Rube Goldberg bad dream. In this case the fins are functional as an oil cooler. I think it's neato but I'll never make another unless someone throws GIANT piles of money at me. It's got roughly 220% the surface area of the original flat piece so can only help...

Thanks Rich! I promise you're manifolds are coming I could just sneak a few minutes on this one.....

For general edification, the brass 'cup washers(?)' are inset into the aluminum 4mm deep. Here's the only pic I have of that particular piece of the puzzle:

Attachments

• P1010320.JPG
    P1010320.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 323
  • P1010322.JPG
    P1010322.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 341
No rush on my end. The current ones are starting to split a little, but some gasket material is holding up just fine. Once they split I'll call the red phone in your office........

Ya know, those finned parts would look great on a 400F as well.......

Back
Top Bottom