First bike First Mods Ideas?

Firsttimer15

I was given this bike free today and is my first street legal bike. I fell in love with the bobber/chopper style mods while googling information about the stock bike.
It is a 81' maxim xs 650 it has sat about 5 years .I am convinced modding this bike is the only options any ideas/tips etc are welcome
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20150812_175846677.jpg
    IMG_20150812_175846677.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 288
Do the maintenance, make it run and ride well in stock form, title and register it, ride it for a while, then come back for mod suggestions.

And most of all, congratulations on your first street bike.

Going to transfer the title in the morning,I have experience on dirt (19years) just haven't played on a true street worthy bike. Personally this things a little on the ugly side not my style of bike, I figure while I have electrical work to do she will be stripped down and would be a good time to do any mods.

It's always recommended on this site to get the bike running and ride it before tearing it down. However most of the bikes I buy are in way too bad of shape to do that. I would essentially have to rebuild the bike twice to do this, so I don't. Regardless, if you want to tear it apart and rebuilt it, go for it.

If this were my bike, I would definitely bobber it. XS650 is a perfect candidate for a bobber. If you have the chops, or know someone who does, you could hardtail it, or look for inspiration for a softail bobber. You could get away with the stock tank and front end if you want. Biggest thing would be finding some spoke wheels from an older XS650 to swap out.

Obviously the xs650 has never been turned into a bobber before ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=xs650+bobber&safe=off&espv=2&biw=1278&bih=608&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIwojnz7SmxwIVwqSICh3nOgJz&dpr=2

The Maxim is an XJ, not an XS. Very different bikes, for the record.

Congrats anyways and good luck with your build

Ya, that Suzuki would make a great project bike. Assuming you have, or can get a title for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Suzuki I'm unsure of the title the back story is an old friend hid it out during a divorce and never came back to get it that was ten years ago and we have lost touch

I have an 80' GS1000G in my barn but I don't think it has as many spiders as your 850. The zook would be a great all around bike especially if you felt like putting in a few hundred miles in a weekend but which ever one is closest to riding shape usually gets my vote. That little yamaha will do the trick too.

I actually plan a 9 hr ride to Pikes Peak when I have one street safe, other than the larger engine what would make you choose the zook over the yam?

Firsttimer15 said:
I actually plan a 9 hr ride to Pikes Peak when I have one street safe, other than the larger engine what would make you choose the zook over the yam?

It's just my opinion so remember that first. The GS has a bigger stronger (and reliable) engine and a low maintenance shaft drive, not to mention classically good looking lines with that frame and tank. The XS is a good bike but it's 80's cruiser "fugly" and (again in my opinion) would take alot more cosmetic work to look near as good.

Also, the GS would be a much more satisfying bike on the highway and road trips or even canyon carving on the weekends.

These are your bikes man but I would pick one and focus on it rather than dicking around with a bunch of "project" bikes.... ask me how I know.. ;)

Back
Top Bottom