1975 CB400F Resto-Mod

JustinLonghorn

No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
So, as some of you already know, I picked up a 1975 CB400F in beautiful almost stock condition. Here she is the day I picked her up:

4f512a16.jpg

fcef1a24.jpg

ff162e2a.jpg

I had picked up another parts/project CB400F earlier this year, and it just happened to come with a set of Stock CB400F hubs laced with SS spokes to Aluminum Sun hoops.

c0b3e943.jpg

c4cc39f6.jpg

I don't like the look of the stock turn signals and headlight bracket, so I ordered these:

25-8300-vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-electronic-lighting-parts-rectangular-aluminum-amber-turn-signals-blinkers21_1.jpg

60-1440-vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-lighting-parts-mediumweight-dimpled-chrome-headlight-brackets-7.jpg

And this tail light which I will tuck up under the stock seat:

62-21521-vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-lighting-parts-chrome-lucas-taillight-6.jpg

The alloys are currently at the shop getting trued, new rubber, and balanced.

This is the sad current state of the 400:

test-1.jpg

That's a very fine looking stocker. looks like it needs very little. But sometimes we find that looks can be deceiving. What kind of handlebars are you putting on this bike?
I like that tail light piece from DCC

The bike runs beautifully, man. It sat in a climate controlled airplane hanger 1979 until 2008. The PO rebuilt the carbs, cleaned the tank, adjusted the valves, etc.

The handlebars will not change. The stock bars are already very low, and the stock peg position is very comfortable.

I've said it before, but great bike Justin. Can't wait to see it in person......

This is a nice score Justin. I hope to see her in person at barber. I just posted my 450 for sale to hopefully get the funds to afford the trip. Fingers crossed, there is a crap load of bikes for sale right now.

I used the same signals and tail on my bike. They look great on there. The hoops should make her nice and twitchy in the turns. Good thing.

revheadgl said:
You guys are so lucky that you can get decent bikes like that for low prices. I wish I could have started with something that good, but they fetch 3-4000K and + over here at the moment.

Let me see now.......mild resto for now.........how long til the bug bites to go a bit wild on it ?

Yep, I paid $750 for her. Not too Shabby.

And I know it is only a matter of time before I get the serious itch to start tearing her apart. That is why I am currently looking for a two-stroke triple project on the cheap, so I will leave this poor girl alone.

So I got the aluminums all trued up and balanced with new rubber. While removing the old bearings, I realized how odd the sprocket looked.
Upon closer examination, I found the letters NEP followed by "Tuff One"

Google to the rescue. A company called N.E.P. manufactured Tuff One sprockets in the 70's. It is made of a nylon/plastic material and is 50% lighter than a steel sprocket. Here's to it actually holding up for me. Ha.

e2f6ce96.jpg

I know we joked about it earlier, but that would be on my "to be replaced" list. Maybe it's my ignorance behind the technology used, but better safe than sorry.

I have been reading up on the non-metal sprockets all evening. From what I've read, the sprocket will be just fine. They are lighter and quieter than steel, and if alligned properly will last as long or longer than the stock sprocket.

So, no pics but I did get the new tires all mounted up and back on the bike. I also threw the new ears on and the new front signals as well.

I still need to put the rear signals on and the new tail light.

I also have to fix a stuck float. Damnit.

I ran a plastic sprocket on my yz490 for an entire season of desert racing and it made it to the end. I normally replaced sprockets on that beast every few weeks of hard riding. I don't remember the manufacturer of that one but I'm glad I checked in here...reminded me of that! Nice bike mate.....

Got the new turn signals installed and hooked up. Unfortunately they do not blink. In fact, the right front one and the dash light will come on, and the left rear and the dash light will come on. No flashing. No clue what is causing this issue. Any suggestions?

I also replaced the front fender with just a fork brace and adjusted the chain/rear wheel.

I would replace the flasher, DCC has them for $15 I'm getting on because I'm switching to LED flashers and didnt want to risk getting the new lights only to fry them cause the old flasher isn't compatable. Plus, the flashers flash so slow a normal person wouldn't recognize I am trying to signal a turn haha! It's like 3seconds on 1 off...

I may have missed it: stock turn signals, correct? Most likely a bad ground near the wire connections or the bulbs themselves. The fact that each side is lighting up os good- means your switch isn't toast.

Put good bulbs at the dark corners and see if they light up.

Are they LED? That shouldn't affect the solid state at opposite corners regardless. Did all 4 lights work before? I'm sticking to the bad ground/ wiring theory.

Back
Top Bottom