KX60 - mini motard maybe?

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
DTT BOTM WINNER
So I went to pick up a craigslist Elsinore the other day .... and this 95' KX60 followed me home.

Attachments

• 95kx60_1a.JPG
    95kx60_1a.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 371
  • 95kx60_1.JPG
    95kx60_1.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 384
So.... I never really noticed these before so I started doing some homework. This little 15hp Kawasaki was made from 85' to 03' so there is plenty of stuff available for it. I also learned among other things that a gsxr shock will fit and help the bike handle an adult. So I have one of those on order.

Also found a place that makes adult rate springs: http://www.performancespring.com/fork-springs.html

The guy I got the bike from was riding it last week and the head gasket supposedly let go. Confirmed when I was able to start it up and hear it for a short bit but shut it down pretty quick. I have a new oem head gasket on order.

I guess I'll just see how far down this rabbit hole I go eh?

Honda, yamaha, and suzuki stopped making 60's around the time they started making this one in the mid 80's. This was they only option to race the 60cc class for many years. In other words there are a ton of these in the states so parts should be easy. Check and see if the kx65 top end fits on it.

Lol, Eric if I bring it to Barber, you can play with it.

Even my wife and daughter want to ride this little guy. Wife knows how, daughter will learn.

Waiting on the gaskets and shock still. I think I'm going to up the weight of fork oil and a bit of air assist in the front, those new $90 front springs are more than I want to spend on this right now. (edit: I'll probably end up with them anyway, just being a cheapass)

clem said:
Honda, yamaha, and suzuki stopped making 60's around the time they started making this one in the mid 80's. This was they only option to race the 60cc class for many years. In other words there are a ton of these in the states so parts should be easy. Check and see if the kx65 top end fits on it.

There a lots of swappable parts on this guy. I have learned a bit over at http://planetminis.com/forums/forum.php

I got the gixxer shock and head gaskets in the mail. Pulled the head and the gasket was indeed fugly:

Attachments

• kx60_head1.jpg
    kx60_head1.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 353
  • kx60_head2.jpg
    kx60_head2.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 352
Back
Top Bottom