Product for softening leather?

gribbs

Coast to Coast
I scored a brand new jacket and want to soften up the leather with some rub/spray on. I think I heard somewhere about beeswax? I am new to the game - any help would be great :)

gribbs said:
I scored a brand new jacket and want to soften up the leather with some rub/spray on. I think I heard somewhere about beeswax? I am new to the game - any help would be great :)

Find a fine boot/shoe store, good local people who know thier product, not some big box store! Talk to them and they will fix you up with what you need. take the jacket with you, as different grades, varieties, and thickness of leathers vary, so will the methods of cleaning, softening, and protecting!

I wear high quality boots every day! This is how I keep them in good shape!

Cheers!

I use Fiebings saddle soap to clean,and then a rubdown with the Pure Neatsfoot Oil. http://www.fiebing.com/Leather_Care.aspx
I use this on all my leather stuff,boots,jackets,gloves you name it.
Ive been using it on my Dads old jacket for 15 yrs. its 40 some yrs old. And it looks great.
Were I live "Tractor Supply CO." carries it.

I have tried lots of leather conditioners over the years. The best I have found for old leather is Leather Therapy Restorer and Conditioner,www.leathertherapy.com . Meltonian Leather Balm, made by Kiwi, also works well. For just general cleaning and conditioning I like Leather CPR , which I get at Walmart. Also, I like to use Armour All (gasp) as a finisher after the conditioner has soaked in. I have heard many times not to use Armour All, but have been using it on one jacket since 1979 and it still looks great :eek: :eek: :eek:. Sometimes you will buy a jacket that you just can't break in. I have had one 10 years and it is still as stiff as new and looks new even though it has been worn quite a bit. I special ordered it from Vanson, it took nine months to get it, and it must weigh 10 pounds. It is made of the thickest leather I have ever seen on anything except a heavy work shoe :p :p :p....

Back
Top Bottom