Jacket found me

Erch

Been Around the Block
So I've been on the hunt for a jacket to patch up, thinking I'd look for something along the lines of a schott perfecto.

Head into Doc's leather for the first time in probably 5 years, see they've got a whole wall dedicated to $300 perfecto ripoffs.

Then a legit schott vintage perfecto found me:

DSC00104.jpg

Sorry for the terrible light in the pic. Didn't check the year on it. It's worked in on the elbows and waistbelt, otherwise no wear, rips or holes. Looks like it has maybe 20 years on it. Dude in the store claims in came in 2 days earlier.

Size m, fits like a glove and they want $200 even for it. Told myself if I go back on the weekend and it's still there then Kharma is telling me to buy the damn jacket.

Did you note the size? You can buy nice Perfecto's in that style for 1/2 the price on eBay. But once you pay for shipping, taxes (if you get nailed for that) etc. you're looking at $140 easy. So $200 isn't too bad I guess, if it's $200 taxes-in.

Tim said:
Did you note the size? You can buy nice Perfecto's in that style for 1/2 the price on eBay. But once you pay for shipping, taxes (if you get nailed for that) etc. you're looking at $140 easy. So $200 isn't too bad I guess, if it's $200 taxes-in.

Yeah, it's a tricky call. I've spent most of the evening lurking around on craigslist and ebay to see if I could find a better deal. Going price seems to dip as low as $120-140 but then shipping becomes an issue.

I should have really paid attention to the size. Remember it was a medium, which usually means a 38 but I'm 5'11" and 180lbs and this thing wasn't snug. I'm thinking it was a 40 but I'm not sure. Think I'm headed back that way this weekend with a second opinion in tow to make sure it looks as good as I think it looks on me.

Basic Perfectos are not that rare. You can probably find one in Kensington Market for half that.

DrJ said:
Basic Perfectos are not that rare. You can probably find one in Kensington Market for half that.

Hmm, I'll have to take a look. I've definitely found some real steals in the thrift stores on Agusta. Last time I took a look in exile they were charging an arm and a leg for any of the decent looking leather though.

aw camon...
like DrJ said, you can pick up a perfecto in Kensington Market for $90.

Go talk to Roger at Flashback in Kensington Market, hes got a shit load of Perfectos in "the back"...
They are not on display so you have to ask for them...

locO leoN said:
Go talk to Roger at Flashback in Kensington Market, hes got a shit load of Perfectos in "the back"...
They are not on display so you have to ask for them...

But do I need to know the secret handshake?

Erch said:
But do I need to know the secret handshake?

secret hand shake??.. hell no... no such thing

However, you have to first show your DTT patch... then do the super secret DTT Indian Rain dance...
I
f it rains you get the jacket free.. if it doesnt rain and you just show your DTT patch, you just get the DTT price.. If you cant do neither... you dish out $200 for a schott perfecto...

;D

Epilogue:

Roger hooked me up. Check it out:

DSC00105.jpg

Here`s a closeup of the chain pullers on the pockets:
DSC00106.jpg

It was marked at $125 but he appreciated my effort on the dance and gave it to me for a bill even and threw in a free mink oil rubdown.

The morale of the story is: Listen to J and Noel.

DSC00107.jpg

He said he thinks it`s out of the 80s. No date on it that I could find.

Personally I think I`m a little more comfortable in newer leather anyways.

very nice...
Its steerhide..

You can tell by the "animal" thats on the label. The Perfectos that had a horse on the lable were...guess what??!!. Horse hide...
etc..etc..

The modern 80's perfectos had a motorcycle on it... So Im gonna guess that your jacket is mid-late 70's....

Back
Top Bottom