1971 Kawasaki G3SS 90cc

1971G3SS

I've been in he process of a complete rebuild of a 1971 G3SS. I wanted something small that I could build in the extremely small space of the basement that my wife allowed me to use. This is actually my first bike and first time working on really any type of vehicle besides my own car which is just the typical oil change etc... I do like taking things apart and seeing how everything works mechanically so this has been a lot of fun to work on. I've gone through everything and I mean everything and cleaned everything including nuts and bolts. I believe that no piece should be untouched or cleaned when doing a rebuild. I have done everything myself except the powder coating. All pieces have been disassembled and media blasted and cleaned. I would say 80% of the bike has been powder coated. The colors I chose to go with are Granny Smith Green and Satin Black. Not the traditional kawasaki green. I wanted something along the lines of that color but with a little more pop to it. I have also purchased almost all new old stock parts for the bike from bolts, wiring and cables, and all new bearings. Way to many to list. This is pretty much a brand new bike. A lot of people may think that this is way to much work for a little bike like this but in my opinion every bike deserves to be well maintained and cared for regardless of what it is. From a cheap little single cylinder two stroke to the more expensive Italian and British bikes. Anyway, I'll be posting some progress pictures of the build. Like I said, this has all been done in the basement of my house and with only basic hand tools and I've never done anything like this before so its completely self taught. I do have another 1971 G3SS that I will eventually work on as well and maybe do something a little different. These first pictures are what the g3 looked like when I got it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 324
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 301
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 276
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 290
Motor split, cleaned, and rebuilt with new gaskets and bearings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    842.9 KB · Views: 284
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 285
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 267
The previous post was right after I split the case so nothing had been cleaned and nothing new added. Splitting the case was fairly easy.

Forks, oil pump, and carburator rebuilt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 292
Work space. Barely enough room but its worked out so far.

Wheels were sandblasted. Got them back from powder coating.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 277
Added new Michelin gazelle 3.00-18 tires. Stock were 2.5-18. These are a little bigger and in my opinion look better

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 269
Frame and most of the other parts back from powder coating

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 282
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 278
More from powder coating

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 290
Almost every piece was powder coated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 312
New rear shocks installed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 272
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    849.2 KB · Views: 264
Found a NOS headlight unit

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 318
The seat will not be the one I use. I'm going to build my own aluminum cafe style seat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    732.9 KB · Views: 320
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 335
The work area is getting crowded. I have a Honda MB5 in there as well. Don't know to much about them but it was practically given away to me. Crazy thing is that it fit in the back of my Honda Fit

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    794.3 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    747.4 KB · Views: 241
All new bearings and oil seals going in

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 220
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 224
The new wiring harness and all the wiring is very simplistic and minimal which was nice. Made it very easy to do the wiring. Right now I'm waiting on the battery to come in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    965.1 KB · Views: 224
Wheels and tires on. Almost a complete bike. Getting anxious to fire it up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 236