And then there were two.. 1976 GT250 Rebuild

Still can't get the girl to fire up. Maybe being 15 degrees in the shop has something to do with it.

Using Tru Fuel for the initial startup/storage till riding weather. It's expensive, but it's ethenol free and pre mixed so oh well.
12e596215f850494ca65f89584b46cb9.jpg

Also got the new shoes mounted today.
8dea4305e8dc467dbdb06c82de93cdea.jpg

6e10290ae5bd336c22990c810ea24139.jpg

Got some head pipes to use for my chambers. One of em was a little beat up around the gasket seat. Nothing a little tig welding and filing can't fix.

bad675dbe58258be45b4ed58600d8bbc.jpg

3ebf7fa01bd0cc0b59574d28359d84d5.jpg

Spandies mockup
04ee9b3b2aa3c47b1da2268aa4881df1.jpg

Hit the intakes with a little barymans and get it to pop or put the wifes hair dryer to the plugs, but first chech the points are open and closed at the right time ;D

yeah, the way I figure, it has to be something with spark timing. All the things that it needs to run are there (fuel, spark, compression) it just must not all be happening at the right time. Ive tried the boom can tun-a, had it popping before I had fuel in it. It also wasn't so blasted cold in the shop at that point. I had the heater going, but not long enough for everything on the bike to get heat soaked. Tonight, I may try to put a ceramic heater pointed at the engine for a few hours to get stuff above freezing before I try much more again. If that doesn't work, ill have my old man (the two stroke guru) come out. The way that usually goes, he will look at it, tinker for 5 minutes and away she will go haha

hurco550 said:
yeah, the way I figure, it has to be something with spark timing. All the things that it needs to run are there (fuel, spark, compression) it just must not all be happening at the right time. Ive tried the boom can tun-a, had it popping before I had fuel in it. It also wasn't so blasted cold in the shop at that point. I had the heater going, but not long enough for everything on the bike to get heat soaked. Tonight, I may try to put a ceramic heater pointed at the engine for a few hours to get stuff above freezing before I try much more again. If that doesn't work, ill have my old man (the two stroke guru) come out. The way that usually goes, he will look at it, tinker for 5 minutes and away she will go haha

Yep, my old dad would make a heater from a coffee can and oil soaked rags... lucky he never burned the damn truck to the ground! Those old smoker sleds always start in winter, this will too!!

Tune-A-Fish said:
Those old smoker sleds always start in winter, this will too!!

haha that's funny about the rags. I just saved my buddys 66 gto the other day from greasy rags burning underneath while he was welding in floor pans. The difference is, he didn't mean to have a fire, especially not one that had the flames licking the rubber gas lines underneath lol

and the smoker sleds always starting in the winter is a long shot =P lol I have had quite a few that really don't want to lol

Key with sleds is to open the throttle wfo and hit the kill so it fogs the chambers, then hit the filter with ether in the am with less chance of damage haha

if you have the idle screws set high then you aint gettin much enricher action
try backing down the idle speed screws ,how did you set them anyway?
the less air gap at the slide the more fuel will come up the enrichener circuit

xb33bsa said:
if you have the idle screws set high then you aint gettin much enricher action
try backing down the idle speed screws ,how did you set them anyway?
the less air gap at the slide the more fuel will come up the enrichener circuit

honestly I set my idle screws to where they were set when I tore the bike apart. it ran at the time, so I just counted revs and set everything where it was before teardown for a starting point. idk if that is the best way to do it or not

hurco550 said:
honestly I set my idle screws to where they were set when I tore the bike apart. it ran at the time, so I just counted revs and set everything where it was before teardown for a starting point. idk if that is the best way to do it or not
that is a true good method to get them back somewhere close to a running lash,but everything was apart then together,did you cable hang bench sink the slides ?
in othere words when slides are open a bit from twist of throttle is air gap same both sides?

xb33bsa said:
that is a true good method to get them back somewhere close to a running lash,but everything was apart then together,did you cable hang bench sink the slides ?
in othere words when slides are open a bit from twist of throttle is air gap same both sides?

I did not to be honest. ill take a look at that when I get home. In my head they were the same, but I don't know for sure

tut tut bugger all that shoulda been done already,i doubt if it is creating hard clod start but...yeah pull the carbs off,its the only only way, 2 identical popcycle sticks work well
you can do it from the airbell side but its just a lil trickier

It's alive, and tune gets a cookie. Must have wired the coils on the wrong side. I assumed that that they both fired with a lost spark but I guess not. Switched the plugs side for side and fired up first kick. I had to cut er off, oil pump must have lost its prime,so that needs sorted. I am running pre mix, but the bearings aren't getting oil without the oil pump.

hurco550 said:
It's alive, and tune gets a cookie. Must have wired the coils on the wrong side. I assumed that that they both fired with a lost spark but I guess not. Switched the plugs side for side and fired up first kick. I had to cut er off, oil pump must have lost its prime,so that needs sorted. I am running pre mix, but the bearings aren't getting oil without the oil pump.

Yip yip yahoo!!!!!! ;D

Back
Top Bottom