*** Painting Forum *** - Don't you think we should have one?

SrgtBear

The arsenic has oddly shaped feet...
After some deep thought I was thinking we should have a separate Paint Forum under one of our main sub-categories. In no way do I have the authority to create this subform but I wanted to put this out there to see how many people would second the idea.

I realized people have posted their paint questions under 1-800-cafe-help but I find that painting and the art of it is a real fascinating area. Other than myself, I would imagine others would like to find out more about it and learn the master techniques.

Obviously there would be much to discuss, HOK, Kandy's, Sealer, Epoxy vs. Enamel vs. Laquer vs. Urethane, HPLV Guns, equipment, paint booth/area setups, rattle can paint. etc.

With your help, I hope there would be a large enough request that Tim would notice and be able to facilitate our needs. :)

If you agree, please "second" this thread with any comments below.

I think a paint thread could be a very nice feature for this forum. A good paint job is what makes a bike. I know I always like to learn new paint tricks. I vote yes.

A paint thread would be great. Maybe even a 'paint and powder' thread. There seems like a deep well of knowledge in this subject to be exploited to everyone's benefit.

Paint, Powder, and Detailing. Personally, of all the forums I've been on there are not that many topics created. Sure new guns and fillers come out from time to time but they all basically do the same thing. A lot of the topics turn out to be praise threads on various products. I think the forums here are well divided into their appropriate categories already.

I like that idea. It would be nice to have a central spot to discuss all of this, and maybe even polishing tech as well. I know a lot of guys are in the dark when it comes to making things shiny.

I'm with Jugg on this one. I'm not sure there's enough new content coming out all the time to warrant another section on the forums. There's only so many times you can cover a topic before that sub-forum will just sit there with nothing else to add.

Have you guys checked out the sticky in 1800 help called Rattle can bling? has a lot of do it yourself help on paint. Not quite exactly what you are talking about but a lot of good info in it. It might make sens to have a paint sub board in the 1800 section though to keep all the painting questions in one place, and put the rattle can bling sticky in it.

i think a whole forum would be overkill since the same questions would just get asked again and again. A sticky would be perfect, or just how we roll already with just asking as it comes up in our own minds.

Really, all we need is a sticky with all the info in orderly fashion. Like the stickys we already have. Any pro paint men want to put a thread together?

Just went through Twisted's rattlecan thread. Awesome thread! If you're a regular garage guy and want to attempt a decent paintjob its all there. I'm going to be painting up my NSR soon, and definitely going to follow his method.

The Rattlecan thread is good. It should definitely be included, but I was thinking more professional paints. Mix Ratios, Hardner, Slow, Medium, Fast, Thinner, etc etc.

Best thing to do is start a thread. If there's enough interest, it can be stickied. If there's enough variety to indicate the need for multiple threads, then we can create a board for those threads to be grouped into. No problemo.

I'm here to answer if someone wants to start the thread.
38 years as a pro.
Tim said:
Best thing to do is start a thread. If there's enough interest, it can be stickied. If there's enough variety to indicate the need for multiple threads, then we can create a board for those threads to be grouped into. No problemo.

Back
Top Bottom