CX500 Too many miles?

onelifeonelove43

Been Around the Block
looking to pick up a cx500 fram a guy, it runs but has a shit ton of miles. the bike is an 86' with 140,000. he wants 500$ i want to offer less, like 300-350. is it worth it with that many miles?

If you are planning to bring it back to life, then that's too much money in my opinion considering the $$ it will need.

For parts and a clear titled frame, maybe.

I don't doubt the mileage for a second, as these bikes were often used for Currier duty and logged mega miles.

That being said it will be needing some love I suspect which could be in the form of another, lower mile motor.

How much of a fixer upper are you after? What's your time worth?

I picked up 2 CX's in NC for $200...

I got my 1979 CX custom from the original owner for $750 in San Diego. It only had 14k miles on it. Still had the original tires on it. Driving it home was scary as hell. I felt sure they woud both blow out on the freeway at the same time and send me under a truck at 70mph. But I digress.

Bit high for the mileage but will probably run fine with just new rings and valve guide seals (hell, it will probably run fine to 200,000)
If its been run around 6~7,000 rpm it actually lasts a lot longer than if it was run at low rpm (2~5K)

these bikes were the choice of London's bike couriers many years ago,alot of them were pissed that the model was discontinued....BIG miles can be had with this model,,,common problem is the crank case halves leak

Back
Top Bottom