KZ440 First build, FINISHED

jsnabbs

Been Around the Block
So i picked up this KZ440B 2 months ago got in to the tear down over the first couple of weeks then had to put it on hold until i found a workspace to continue(sorted now :D)

question is, where to now? i have a bit of mechanical knowlage did 3 years in a engine recon shop when i was 15, 15 years ago, so its been a while. And i've not undertaken such a project ever

I have the idea that i want to do a teardown and rebuild, motor out rebore new pistons, re-seat valves, frame work to lose tabs and brakets re-paint, seatpan to hide all electrics smaller battery, 2-1 exhaust. 1 fork has a small leak so need new seals, then repaint, also paint rims. LED lights
I have no idea when it comes to electrics so will have to take it somewhere when at that point

Now i've had a couple of weeks not working on it and spent alot of time online researching i feel i've become a little lost of where to go and in what order.
My first thoughts are to get the lines looking good, the tank needs to sit down in the back and then i guess rearloop and seatpan.
will drop the motor out this week
should i leave elecrics where they are for now until seatpan is done or take them off?

would love some ideas on how to make a plan of attack in a order that makes sense

thanks for any help

Attachments

• BIKE PIC.jpg
    BIKE PIC.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 2,226
  • now 2.jpg
    now 2.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 2,335
Re: what to do first? KZ440

Buy a shop manual and perform ALL regular maintenance first.
That means suspension, brakes, engine and electrical. Ride the bike ,
then decide what you want to change. To many clowns start by making
it all pretty before they even know if it will move under it's own power.

I have the Haynes manual
It was running when i picked it up, changed the airfilter over to pods without the airbox and was still running fine. Now its not running as i started the stripdown

Running fine or running as well as it could be?

Build a badass custom, but first make sure it'll perform as well as it looks. Map out your mods and keep them as simple as possible while still achieving your goal.

Re: what to do first? KZ440 First build

Well i know that the bike runs before teardown, and i thought best to leave the fine tuning until after the rebuild as i will be using aftermarket carbs and exhaust

How about brakes... does it stop as well as go?
If you are to the point of total disassembly. Get yourself a box of Zip-lock baggies, a roll of masking tape, and a Sharpie. Bag-n-tag EVERYTHING! Don't assume you will remember where something goes. Even if it makes complete sense when taking it off.
Best tool is your digital camera... Take TONS of pics from different angles. It helps to refer to them not only when going back together but when modifying. Don't want to cut off a tab you will need later.
On some bikes it's better to leave the motor in until last then lay the bare frame / engine combo on it's side and lift off the frame. Others it's best to pull the engine while the bike is still a roller. Determine which is best for your KZ then you will get an idea of what needs to come off next.

Brake all need to be done pads for sure and maybe a new front disc

A better idea of how the bike is now

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 2,204

jsnabbs said:
Brake all need to be done pads for sure and maybe a new front disc

A better idea of how the bike is now

I'd purge all the old brake fluid out if I were you as well. My brakes worked fine, but decided to purge everything out, looked like orange cottage cheese haha. Bike looks good, shoot over to kzrider.com and poke around.

Got the motor out the otherday, next step i think is thinking about the seatpan and where to place the battery. Was thinking of incorparating it into seatpan, right up the front behind the airpods.

Anyone got some tips on what battery to use?

Here's what i looked at
http://shoraipower.com/lfx14a2-bs12-p66
http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/8cell.php

Attachments

• motorout.JPG
    motorout.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 2,065

On the cards tomorrow, get that tank sitting right. And grinding the back of the frame ready for the loop, will all so take of some tabs.
Im still wondering if or not i should grind off the triangles that the exhaust normally attaches to, im going to get a 2-1 system so maybe i should leave the righthand side one on, ideas?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 2,350
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 2,340
Re: KZ440 First build

A little update, a buddy dropped by and helped me sort the line of the bike re tank placement,starting to get the idea of the shape now. one the cards this week is the rearloop

Attachments

• grind off.JPG
    grind off.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 2,035

Have you considered using the original style gas tank?
What year of 440b is that? I thought all 'B's came with spoke wheels
and a drum front brake.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqRHJE0FB5SHlJU7BQo8cqtWu!~~60_57-1.JPG
    $(KGrHqRHJE0FB5SHlJU7BQo8cqtWu!~~60_57-1.JPG
    290.5 KB · Views: 365

I have got the original tank but im really not into the shape of it.

The bike is a 81 but im in germany and to be honest im not soooo sure of the model, it has a tank from a kz440B and i thought the frame all so but the PO has hacked and welded things up so who knows

Did the mock up of the rearloop (with some PVC) today, and tried out my new headlamp
The little stick of plastic holding up the loop is cut so long that the tire wont rub if the shocks bottom out, i like the angle that gives me for the rearloop

Attachments

• rearloop mock.jpg
    rearloop mock.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 1,976

I like the stance a lot. I like the tank too. Is that a custom tank mount to flatten it out from the stock position?

I'm sure someone is going to mention it, but make sure you have enough clearance on the rear to the hoop.

Keep it up!

For the rearloop clearance i cut the piece that is holding it up longer than the shock would be if it bottomed out.

The orginal tank was a KZ440B, but i like the shape of this more, all i did was cut some out of the rear frame so it could sit flush and the front mounts will be moved from bottom to above from where they used to sit.

thanks for your support

Things slowed up a bit as i had to find someone to make and weld the rearloop for me, after a week or so searching i finally found a guy who will do, and is excited to work on such a project. Was hard to find a workshop that was willing to do a one off piece. Anyway it sorted now and i will have it back in 2 weeks

Today i spent a few hours sodablasting, worked a treat. I forgot to take some before photos :eek:

But im happy how it came out

Attachments

• motorsoda.JPG
    motorsoda.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,166

Got the frame back from the guy who made my rearloop

Attachments

• loop 1.JPG
    loop 1.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,094
  • loop5.JPG
    loop5.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 1,090
  • loop6.JPG
    loop6.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,088
  • loop7.JPG
    loop7.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,097

Those are really cool rims. A little similar to some of the Laverda 1000 and Jota rims of the '70's. They'd look great in gold powder-coat.

yeah im not 100% sure about paint yet, but was thinking of lots of black and charcols

Back
Top Bottom