'73 CB125S Cafe

xb33bsa said:
BONUS when somebody asks you why you don't run a pod and the "open triangle" look, you can retort
"because i am not an ignorant poser"

Entirely accurate!

Just can't justify a performance loss for any reason.

One more ignorant question: The front forks feel really "mushy", and it seems like I can hear the oil sloshing around in there. I'm assuming that's not quite right haha? I haven't gotten them apart just yet, but when I do, what issues/worn parts should I keep an eye out for?

Sorry, another dumb question. But, heck, that's why I bought a cheap bike to dig into and learn all this stuff for!

Yup, that happens over the years.

order some OEM fork seals, read the manual and service those babies up.
Or do the same.....but with a CB350 front end that some racer tossed.......

surffly said:
Or do the same.....but with a CB350 front end that some racer tossed.......

Was thinking about doing that swap to something similar down the road, but if I find the parts cheap enough I might do it upfront!

Anything else I'll have to adjust/mess with for the 350 front end swap?

Should be a simple bearing swap.
Gain
-Larger/stiffer forks
-Better fork internals
-Larger and better TLS front drum

And the front ends should be semi free.
Racers throw them out all the time because they upgrade to 35mm

surffly said:
Should be a simple bearing swap.
Gain
-Larger/stiffer forks
-Better fork internals
-Larger and better TLS front drum

And the front ends should be semi free.
Racers throw them out all the time because they upgrade to 35mm

Awesome thanks! Already got a fellow lined up who thinks he has a set or two!

Love the idea of swapping parts from larger bikes onto the 125!

Functional improvements.
After you have upgraded a few parts....that look will just magically happen.
If you mod stuff to look a certain way....guess what....the function goes out the window.

Normally I give people my "weak link" speech.
I talk about how these projects are less of a build and more of an evolution. I tell people to go out and ride the bike. Figure out what the weak link is to get more performance or just usability out of the machine. Then upgrade that. You cant know if a mod worked if you don't have a good base line.
But with the small Honda singles you don't need many miles to know the forks suck...lol

Next you will want to make sure the swing arm bushings are in good shape.
You can buy the rubber shock bushings that go into the swingarm from Honda still. Cheap and you should change those.
Then buy real shocks. Not the junk DCC sells. Spend the $150/200 on hagons or something that actually works. If you get creative you can figure out a cheaper shock. Maybe something rebuildable?

i am all for upgrades but a cb35o front wheel and forks is way to much for a 12 hp 46mph bike, too much extra weight and just overkill, it is dumb mod
service what you got and see how she goes, but the cb350 front wheel will slow down everything about an already slow bike

350 drum isn't that big.
Wheels should both be 18 right? Don't even think the 350 is wider.

Best mod to these bikes is the beer rack though
875B247A-B033-44A3-BEEE-3C09E79350D6_zpslwhtewgg.jpg

surffly said:
350 drum isn't that big.
Wheels should both be 18 right? Don't even think the 350 is wider.

Best mod to these bikes is the beer rack though
875B247A-B033-44A3-BEEE-3C09E79350D6_zpslwhtewgg.jpg

it is fucking huge compared to what you can use, about 8 extra lbs EASY

I used a CM200 front end. 31mm IIRC and same size wheel as the rear. Easy swap, just ordered a kit from all balls.
Not a 2LS drum, but probably twice the diameter of the 125 drum.

keeping the front end stock with fresh service and new shoes, in my opinion
the rear shocks and swinger bushes are worth changing out
a cb/cl175 front end/wheel is quite a bit lighter than a 350 but still overkill
you could custom build a 17" wheel using a vintage honda or yamaha yz/mx conical hub and 2ls brake plate that would be tits and very light and all you need for a 170lb bike or a 17" disc brake wheel of an mini mx 80 CR80 rm yz kx
that and a set of 32mm forks would be sweet

Jesterhead said:
The front forks feel really "mushy", and it seems like I can hear the oil sloshing around in there. I'm assuming that's not quite right haha? I haven't gotten them apart just yet, but when I do, what issues/worn parts should I keep an eye out for

Hey Jester,
I'd say it is normal to hear the oil squishing through the damping mechanism, although yours might be low on oil (should be 4.5 oz. in Cb/CL or 6.3 oz. in XL) or someone might have used a too-light oil or wrong type in them. Honda recommended 10-30 motir oil in the shop manual but as I recall a later service bulletin recommended ATF in forks, I think because it has less tendency to become aerated. But any actual fork oil should work fine as well. I changed and flushed mine with Motul 10 wt. and I find the stock front forks work really well for what they are.

The biggest handling gain will come from new or reworked rear shocks. I modified my stock shocks to make oil changes, and thus damping, adjustable. It is a bit of work and certainly not the equal of higher quality shocks, but I just like the challenge of fixing stuff! Here's from a post I made on another forum:

Most of the early shocks came factory equipped with very little damping, I suppose for a plush ride. In the old days I modified one pair to allow changing to heavier oil with good success. So I grabbed a spare set of used CB125 schocks from ebay to experiment on and am delighted with the results. Now instead of each bump causing the shock rebound to build up more and more, the bouncing is controlled and the bike feels way more connected to the road, especially when cornering. They are still a cheap shock but are night and day improved over stock. I have documented the steps at the following link. Click on each photo in succession and you can read captions explaining the steps:
http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/billspurlock/library/CB125S

DISCLAIMER: You're on your own here, I am not responsible if anyone's shocks are ruined by their attempt to follow this procedure.

I was hoping to be able to drill into the lower shock body and find no obstructions, so then I could simply tap for a 1/16-27 NPT tapered plug. But after drilling a small exploratory hole I found the actual damper cylinder is just inside the shock body only about 1mm away. So instead I brazed a nut onto the shock to accept a screw plug. The steps are outlined in the link above, but here are some additional points:

-After drilling and draining I found the original oil was very dirty and a bit metallic, so if nothing else being able the change oil seems like it would extend their life.

-I have read that claimed viscosity of fork oils are all over the map so a 10 wt. in one brand might be the same or even lighter than a 5 wt. in another. So using a viscosity tester as described is the only way to get some handle on relative viscosity of original versus replacement.

-Some original oil stays in nooks and crannies of the shock after draining, so filling, working the shock, then draining and refilling to flush is a good idea.

-After completing the modification but before reassembling the springs I compared the before and after resistance when pulling the shock shafts in and out by hand. By that test I thought I would be needing to go heavier than the 10 wt. I had on hand. But after road testing I decided they were just about right.

-I looked briefly for quality aftermarket shocks but could not find the exact same length plus most were too fat at the bottom to clear the chain guard. One problem with going longer than stock is your rear wheel will no longer clear the ground when on the center stand.

-Bill

IMG_7903_zps440a4f01.jpg

IMG_7910_zpsd0835f0a.jpg

Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Just sold my old mobile... Hagon shocks are awfully tempting right now! But I have enough work on my plate and my part pile is growing haha!

Can's stop thinking about buying new rear shocks!

Would Hagon be the top brand to pick up? Or would you all recommend a different name? Price isn't really an issue, but I suppose keep in mind the scope of my project/bike...

Also, I've read around that slightly longer shocks are the way to go? Is this sound advice? I believe the stock shocks are 320mm, so what would be a good length to go? Might not pick these up for a little while, but I'd like to know what type/size I'll be after up front when it's time to upgrade.

no hagen would not be the top brand simply because they are unservicable you cannot refresh the oil or have the valving fine tuned
top shelf would be ohlins, fox or works performance, all servicable konis or ikons would be a good choice as well
it is a very light bike so you do need to get something that is sprung and valved accordingly
slightly longer is fine, like 1/2"

spurlock said:
Hey Jester,
I'd say it is normal to hear the oil squishing through the damping mechanism, although yours might be low on oil (should be 4.5 oz. in Cb/CL or 6.3 oz. in XL) or someone might have used a too-light oil or wrong type in them. Honda recommended 10-30 motir oil in the shop manual but as I recall a later service bulletin recommended ATF in forks, I think because it has less tendency to become aerated. But any actual fork oil should work fine as well. I changed and flushed mine with Motul 10 wt. and I find the stock front forks work really well for what they are.

The biggest handling gain will come from new or reworked rear shocks. I modified my stock shocks to make oil changes, and thus damping, adjustable. It is a bit of work and certainly not the equal of higher quality shocks, but I just like the challenge of fixing stuff! Here's from a post I made on another forum:

Most of the early shocks came factory equipped with very little damping, I suppose for a plush ride. In the old days I modified one pair to allow changing to heavier oil with good success. So I grabbed a spare set of used CB125 schocks from ebay to experiment on and am delighted with the results. Now instead of each bump causing the shock rebound to build up more and more, the bouncing is controlled and the bike feels way more connected to the road, especially when cornering. They are still a cheap shock but are night and day improved over stock. I have documented the steps at the following link. Click on each photo in succession and you can read captions explaining the steps:
http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/billspurlock/library/CB125S

DISCLAIMER: You're on your own here, I am not responsible if anyone's shocks are ruined by their attempt to follow this procedure.

I was hoping to be able to drill into the lower shock body and find no obstructions, so then I could simply tap for a 1/16-27 NPT tapered plug. But after drilling a small exploratory hole I found the actual damper cylinder is just inside the shock body only about 1mm away. So instead I brazed a nut onto the shock to accept a screw plug. The steps are outlined in the link above, but here are some additional points:

-After drilling and draining I found the original oil was very dirty and a bit metallic, so if nothing else being able the change oil seems like it would extend their life.

-I have read that claimed viscosity of fork oils are all over the map so a 10 wt. in one brand might be the same or even lighter than a 5 wt. in another. So using a viscosity tester as described is the only way to get some handle on relative viscosity of original versus replacement.

-Some original oil stays in nooks and crannies of the shock after draining, so filling, working the shock, then draining and refilling to flush is a good idea.

-After completing the modification but before reassembling the springs I compared the before and after resistance when pulling the shock shafts in and out by hand. By that test I thought I would be needing to go heavier than the 10 wt. I had on hand. But after road testing I decided they were just about right.

-I looked briefly for quality aftermarket shocks but could not find the exact same length plus most were too fat at the bottom to clear the chain guard. One problem with going longer than stock is your rear wheel will no longer clear the ground when on the center stand.

-Bill

IMG_7903_zps440a4f01.jpg

IMG_7910_zpsd0835f0a.jpg

that is brilliant i thought it was only me that did stuff like this :D
i did this to a friends audi mcfearson struts back in the day but used a self tapping screw and a sealing warsher

Jesterhead said:
Also, I've read around that slightly longer shocks are the way to go? Is this sound advice? I believe the stock shocks are 320mm, so what would be a good length to go?

Longer shocks will drop the rear wheel a bit so just be sure that doesn't cause problems with the chain rubbing the top of the swing arm pivot at full extension. Also depending on tire sizes and front end mods you might end up with the center stand being too short to raise the rear wheel off the ground without a board under the stand.

-Bill

Back
Top Bottom