1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer - Kustom Cafe Racer Project

Re: 1958 Enfield Indian Twin - Kustom Cafe Racer Project

I'm pretty weak, apparently, on my old Brit bikes. It appears that the Royal Enfield Constellation, "Connie", was imported to the US and branded as an Indian in the 50s? Also, is it safe to assume that the Constellation isn't one of the models that the current Royal Enfield, an Indian (as in South Asian) company continues to make and export world wide? Anyway, a very nice build.

rundown said:
I'm pretty weak, apparently, on my old Brit bikes. It appears that the Royal Enfield Constellation, "Connie", was imported to the US and branded as an Indian in the 50s? Also, is it safe to assume that the Constellation isn't one of the models that the current Royal Enfield, an Indian (as in South Asian) company continues to make and export world wide? Anyway, a very nice build.

From 1955-1959 Joe Brockhouse worked out a deal with Royal Enfield to build bikes and badge them as Indians and import them to the US. The twins were actually based off of the Super Meteor platform, the Trailblazer being pretty much identical except for badging, and the Chief got 16" wheels and the fat fenders. There was also a Woodsman 250 and an Apache which was based off of the Connie. At the end of 1959, the contract was cancelled, and the merger of the tooling and name of Royal Enfield was beginning to be transferred over to the country of India. Enfield/Indian bikes were sold up unto 1963, but they were all built by 1959. When India took over all manufacturing towards the early 70's only the 350 Bullet was produced. In the late 80's the 500cc Bullet was reintroduced, and by the mid 90's the 500cc Bullets were being imported to the US and other countries. In 2010, the UCE Bullet model was released with EFI and electronic ignition, and just this spring they released the 535cc Continental GT. Ironically, ALL of these models are still based off of the 1950's British engineering. In fact, here is a pic of my 1958 Trailblazer 700 twin next to a 2012 UCE Bullet C5 Military.

Started buttoning up the electrical today. It's coming along nicely, a little work here and there before and after work. Luckily, the shop is kind of slow right now and my bike has been hanging out at home right in my work bay. Got the box officially installed today with the ignition switch and rectifier mounted. Damn near all the wiring is run, I just need to lengthen the wires from the EI so they reach into the box. Tomorrow I will finish up the wire harness and finalize that, and then it is onto the front end swap. :D

rundown said:

There has been a 700 / 750 "Connie" running around as a protoype built for evaluation by the Indian manufacturers for several years. They have continued to deny the "rumours" - but probably a cunning bit of marketing to see how the interest is. I think with the current success and growing popularity of the Bullet range - that could well spur them on.

The last involvement I had with a Connie was to fit an engine / box into a Featherbed rolling chassis. I often wish that was one I'd kept ! [Amongst many ]

This rumor has been around for many years, and RE has said several times they have absolutely no intention of building a twin motor. All of the Connie rumors turned out to be the new 535 Continental GT.

So whats the story with the front end swap? and are you going to fit that suzuki swinging arm too?

I'm installing the front end from my '59 RE Chief. It is an inch wider than the trailblazer and also the top nacelle where the fork legs screw into is naked and so it will eliminate the factory gauges. The Suzuki swingarm will be installed next year likely when I do the motor swap.

Dunno how I missed this one. Signing on.

The electrical is complete! :D Well, everything except for the headlight and killswitch, which I will do after I swap the front end out and get the new controls installed. It didn't come out exactly how I had planned, and I may make the fused battery leads a little bit longer and try to get the plug under the fuse panel. There are a lot of wires and plugs in a very small area and it is a little bit of a rats nest. But once the lid is on it looks great!

Every circuit now has it's own fuse: head light, brake light, tail light, coil and ignition.

You don't know how excited I am to finally have a key for my bike! ;D

The wiring is all nice and tidy now. No lose wires or exposed connections and fuses. :)

Nice work on the wiring, dude. Mine is still flayed out everywhere while I wait for a few more things to arrive. ::)

Went to swap my front end today and realized that the hubs on the 2 wheels are different, and are not just spacers on the axle. So I kept the Trailblazer front end on and cleaned up the legs a bit and replaced the fork oil. I did get the handlebars installed and put the tank on to see how things look.

Damn, dude. Times are a-changin. Congrats on the progress.

You, apparently, will never go back.

Fender chopped and mounting bracket welded on. The fender is just clamped on with vice grips in this pic, but it is bolted on now.

Back
Top Bottom