Shake the Box CL360/378 - The Hedgehog - Done

Re: Shake the Box CL360

I found those locks on McM-carr, pretty expensive though at $62 each. They did say bolts were 6x1x25mm though

crazypj said:
I found those locks on McM-carr, pretty expensive though at $62 each. They did say bolts were 6x1x25mm though

Stainless button heads would look good even on top...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#92095A242

3DogNate said:
Stainless button heads would look good even on top...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#92095A242

Yes they would. When I do the reassembly there'll probably be lots of stainless button heads on the thing.

A little more baking in the kitchen tonight. Cutout cookies? Sort of, I guess. The front is out and cooling:

The rear wheel just went in for it's sauna session.

You're doing nice work with the paint, always looks great. You get any smell in the kitchen from baking the parts in the oven?

HerrDeacon said:
You're doing nice work with the paint, always looks great. You get any smell in the kitchen from baking the parts in the oven?

Thanx! The brake disks didn't smell at all. There was a very small amount of odor from the wheels but it wasn't bad and didn't linger.

Another note on those wheels: They ended up being a pain to paint. Perhaps if I had sandblasted them it would have been different. I cleaned them up very well and then used 400 grit paper on them before primer. Regardless, there were some spots on them that just didn't want to take paint. I used this same paint on the engine side covers and it went down very nicely with absolutely no problem, same thing w/ the brake disks. I finally got them to the point where I knew they weren't perfect but were "acceptable". The heat cure really did the trick, though, and helped a whole lot to get them looking good. So, not only did the baking harden the finish it also seemed to smooth and even it out. What did I use? VHT engine paint. Why that on the wheels? Well, that's what I used on the engine side covers and I like the color (Black Pearl) and wanted the disks, calipers, wheels, and rear spring to be the same color. I'm hoping it all holds up, time will tell.

Someone had probably used a silicon polish/spray for cleaning or tyre fitting at some time? It's almost impossible to remove without special 'silicon remover' Someone more familiar with bodywork/painting could probably give more details/better explanation

crazypj said:
Someone had probably used a silicon polish/spray for cleaning or tyre fitting at some time? It's almost impossible to remove without special 'silicon remover' Someone more familiar with bodywork/painting could probably give more details/better explanation

I'll bet you are correct. I've heard that about silicon before. The other day a friend was describing his painting ordeal on a vehicle; got all of it looking beautiful except the hood. Even after taking it down to the metal twice it still wouldn't paint up without lots of orange peel. He finally managed to get hardware store primer and semi-gloss black to cover and drove the thing that way.

You can add Fisheye remover to your paint to deal with silicone contamination. It sucks... but for spray cans... no idea what to do other than clean the absolute shit outta it... maybe even resort to bead blasting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazypj said:
Steam cleaner might work? (if you can find one?)

I have one, didn't think to use it. It's too late now, though, they're painted, baked, and satisfactory. If I run into the problem again, though, I'll try it.

Re: Shake the Box CL360 (Howakiha CL378)

Got a little bit done in the last few days. No pictures of some mostly because I hate cutting and grinding so much that when I have to do them I go into a "git-r-done" mode. I needed to cut off my top rear set mounting lug on both sides so they can be reattached a couple of inches differently; mostly so the pegs aren't too low and to get the linkage for the shifter to line up better. Also got started on cutting out the brace that we did such a beautiful job on... only to discover that it interfered w/ carbs, choke parts, and air cleaners. (Oh well, it sure did LOOK nice! :-[ ) I got that done and then broke out the grinder to clean things up. I'll be lucky the whole thing doesn't look like an old corn cob before I'm done! :mad:

On a more positive note I was also able to get started on my electronics tray for under the seat. I did some measurements and then cut my template out of cardboard. At the moment I have it shaped in an angle to give maximum depth at the front and then less to the rear and then angling up so it meets the seat base hump bottom so the thing forms almost a fender/splash guard affair. I could still change things so the depth of the tray doesn't angle, but so far I'm not finding this objectionable. So, here's what I've got so far:

Cutting the thing shouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure about getting it bent up. Hopefully Levi will be able to offer some assistance or at least advice in that. Once it's a box I'm sure he'll weld all together and into place for me. I hope!

Was talking w/ The Mad Scientist (my brother) and he convinced me that he should form my electronics tray out of aluminum stock, so this morning I sent the template, as well as one for the seat hump floor to him to mess around with. He always comes through for me, so it should be good. He's also in the middle of doing up a wiring schematic for the thing, too. I'll be heading south for the winter in a couple weeks, though, so I guess I won't find out how it all turns out until March. Maybe he'll send pictures. :D Speaking of The Mad Scientist and pictures, here are pictures of a couple of his current projects:

The boy has some skills.

Holy shit, man. I want that gatling gun.

irk said:
Holy shit, man. I want that gatling gun.

The thing is a Hotchkiss Rotary gun. I can't remember what the scale is; maybe 3/5? It fires 410 shotgun and with a good crew and the cash to buy the ammo I think it would probably put out somewhere around 60-80 rounds a minute.

Tune-A-Fish© said:
410 hell load er up with 45 cal rounds :eek: my Judge fires both
45 long colt gatling gun. MERICA' !! ;)

Tune-A-Fish© said:
410 hell load er up with 45 cal rounds :eek: my Judge fires both

I believe 45 cal won't eject right, the shells have to have the rim that's on the 410 shell, I guess that's the way it's machined. Hotchkiss was developed in the mid 1800s and was used into WWI. I guess his is extremely faithful to the original design except to the use of 410 which was the closest available to scale. The Hotchkiss was slower than the Gatling but more accurate and had a far greater range. It fired a 38mm fragmenting projectile and most Gatling guns fired 45 cal lead. Both pretty devastating in action.

Back
Top Bottom