Baja Yaris - for shits and giggles

Love it Mike!

On that skid plate, if you can get the measurements and make me a drawing I can CNC cut it for you.

SONIC. said:
Love it Mike!

On that skid plate, if you can get the measurements and make me a drawing I can CNC cut it for you.

Thanks! I'll see what I can find. It goes in place and you can still access the oil filter and drain bolt so is a great design. It completely protects the engine and transmission from damage.

Well, didn't get any work done on weekend on this. Master bath reno got started, ripped about 80% of old crap out. I'll hopefully get some time this week to play in the garage, we'll see. Anyway the spacers came in and I think they'll work for the rear so the lift is sorted. I need a little bit of fab work done one the second front and then they can be installed. Plan is to lift, then drive around and see how it works. It's completely reversable if I find anything weird, but I don't expect any issues. After that I am going to wrap a wheel/tire in something to make it the size of the new ones I am buying and I'll install it front and back and see if there are any rubbing/clearance issues. then I can get ready to buy the new tires when the old summers wear out. I'll know if I need spacers or have to hammer out the wheel wells or cut bumpers etc. also I'll figure out the install of the roof rack and order up the basket from evilbay. I want to carry a full size spare to so need to figure out best way to carry that around. Need to find a wheel as well. would like a matching alloy if I can swing it.

I feel you on the bath redo. I remodeled the downstairs bath two years ago for the wife as we reach the point where we "age in place". Had a guy help me tear out the one-piece shower/tub fiberglass monster and install a walk-in shower with seat and sliding doors. Then rip out the rubber last-forever floor tile, install Hardy backer and level it all. Had to hire a guy to lay the mosaic tile, then I grouted it and sealed the grout. Re-did the sheet-rock and beveled a place out that had to bow ~15mm - can't tell it now. Repainted it all and installed new threshold and base trim. Takes a lot of time, but made the wife happy.

Did a little work last night, got the second front lift closer to finished. also found my old Thule rack, will need to move feet and trim bars down but should work. Need to find the best way to attach it. The Foot kit came with bolts that stayed in the X-Trail so I need to make something else, Thule uses an expansion nut for some but they don't sell them separately. I need to figure something out.

1732-070219073246.jpeg

irk miller said:
Well nuts won't last. I would use a rivet nut or a nutsert.

Thanks for telling me this after I got some. The Thule Yakima kit comes will well nuts? But I actually trust your judgement more than theirs LOL. I was actually considering removing the headliner and putting proper nuts and washers so maybe I should just do that. I was looking at a couple different install sheets and it was a Yakima foot that used well nuts. Looking at it further the well nuts are used because they are water proof but they don't have a lot of strength the yakima kit I looked at used like 9 of them on a rail so that would be why they worked. I am going to have to use something stronger for sure and just seal the holes with caulking etc.

irk miller said:
This is how the rivet nut works...

90720ac1-b01l.png

yep, metal version of the rubber well nut.

Edit. and I went back and looked, the Yakima Jawns are rubber coated riv nuts so they are water proof but stronger. Dammit.

There's always the permanent solution:

Attachments

• Aluminum-GMA-MIG-Welding.jpg
    Aluminum-GMA-MIG-Welding.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 627
Ha yes, if I could weld, I would. Found the inserts Irk posted. Whole kit for 24 bucks I can buy with a tool to install them. Will grab them next week when I am down in the town with the store. Ordered on amazon.ca for 15 bucks and will arrive by Monday.

CrabsAndCylinders said:
Something to consider?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a29758/toyota-yaris-matt-farah-one-take/
Oh yes, I know him, he's on Yarisworld and is the guy to talk to about yaris performance. My comment early in the thread about a 2zr swap is based on his and he has the whole how to and parts list done to follow. as soon as my engine needs work it will be find a corolla motor and swap it in instead of fixing.

Nah, the swap costs the same as a good turbo job and is way more reliable for 35-40 hp gain bone stock. Add an intake and exhaust and you are in 60-65 hp gain on a car that is 103 stock and weighs nothing. I can get a 2013-2017 engine with 30-40k miles that will out last me lol

Back
Top Bottom