The bike Honda never built - or, my MR250 Elsinore for the Vintage 1000

adventurco said:
Looks sweet man, when's the race?

I leave Monday for it. Its near Chattanooga TN and over to Mississippi and then back. Gonna do all I can to stay off the sweep truck!

Mr.E said:
I leave Monday for it. Its near Chattanooga TN and over to Mississippi and then back. Gonna do all I can to stay off the sweep truck!
hey man have seroius fun you will probaly want to use max preload if you have the bike packed heavy
but just hang onto the bike and letting it stand up straight on its wheels and all packed up the main thing is it wants to be into the the travel 1/2'' is ok measurted on the shock you just dont want it topped out
on the front you want a bit of sag with the weight of the loaded bike alone as well
but if you do preload the springs or use some air which is the best thing to do
be careful with having them dropped so deep in the clamps if you are gonna be on dirts roads at all you need the front tire planted so i would lean towards bringing them up well into the hash marks
having it chopperd out and a load in the rear wil make the front tire slippy on slick dirt turns
putting the fork oli level at 5-1/2 will help prevent bottoming

get ya a mascot a passenger a mupet troll ,or a rubbert chicken to lash on the bike in a hideous manner....orrrrr drag an efagee of hilary thru camp nightly

Ha, thanks everyone. I'm sure this bike will have some kinda tagalong mascot-I'd hate to break my own trip tradition. It's all packed up and ready to go tomorrow. If I get some spare time I might fill in some detail gaps about breaking the clutch cover, the rest of the gear shelf, etc. But as of now, Levi offered bunch of phone support last night, and Flug burned the midnight oil and brought a timing light too, and the short story is that it's ready to make tracks. Thanks everyone for the help and opinions, etc. Now I need some sleep, as that's been in short supply

3067-140816220345.jpeg

Ha, not so good. Had a bit of mechanical trouble about 28 miles in on the first day, ended up riding the boo-boo truck. Worked on it that night, kept thinking it was spark, fuel filter, something. It briefly ran better so I loaded up for the next day. Got on the next morning and it felt OK for a few and then started losing power, revving weird, etc. Opened up on a two lane for about 7 miles and was doing OK even tho it sounded bad, then laid it down in a sandy corner a little bit later. After that it struggled to go a mile. Back on the truck. Rode in the support truck the rest of that day and was the navigator and dead bike picker upper. The next day I got a ride to lake Marina Honda or something and the owner thought he found the problem as a source coil wire rubbing on the flywheel. Fixed that, still had an issue. Bike could barely climb a 1% grade. So I was out the next day too. At the last camp I pulled the clutch cover and found the primary gear bolt backed out and was eating thru the cover, eating the clutch basket, and only engaged about 10% of the time it turned. Fun. So for the last day I borrowed an sl175 with no suspension or tail light, and using 3 quarts of oil to 1 tank of gas, and rode that little burro all the way from waynesboro TN to within 20 miles of Chattanooga.

Oh sure I had good fun on the trip. Wish I'd been able to ride more, but in all it was a great time. Also, that SL175 lost the top end on a Dam with no shoulder to pull off on. The Land Rover support truck i was riding in also lost the clutch on the trail. Pretty sure I had some very bad moto mojo going on the whole time.

I know you would have appreciated riding Your bike the whole way rather than being a member of the pit-crew;a surprising turn of events :D

Dang dude, sounds like you had a black cloud over your head this past week, ha. Hope to see this thing at barber though ;)

Yeah thats the plan. I'll have it bandaged up for barber I hope. And yeah, I'd have prefered to ride it, but I had a good time helping the chase trucks too. All in all a great week.

Back
Top Bottom