What is your favorite motorcycle from the past?

My dads drag bikes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    936.8 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 239
A few more

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 215
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 222
I've had a hell of a lot of bikes over the years since my first Yam 100 in 1975. But the stand out ones for me are, my CBX1000z from 1979, Suzuki GSXR1100G slabbies from 87 to 98, and my all time favourite............Suzuki T500. They have all been sold on to make way for the new arrival, except the 500's. I bought one in 77, (below), and one in 78, and I still have them both !

Attachments

• alpina 12 003.JPG
    alpina 12 003.JPG
    514.7 KB · Views: 224
My RD400 that I bought new in '75. Living in Charlestn, SC there was a long season, and being a young, single sailor it was perfect. My '06 GL1800 comes close, but not quite as sporty. Both fairly stock.

just bought a Super Hawk Yesterday. Funny these days I have a Aprilia Touno with 150+ h.p. but a 305 Super Hawk was the first bike that frightened me, all 24 h.p. of it. http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/uploads/cars/honda/4189933.jpg can't wait to get this thing up and running. My kid thinks I've lost my mind, but it sure looks cool next to my Triumph and Aprilia. With my wife's Harley and my kids R6, my garage looks like Christmas....

Nice one AB! As a kid I lusted after a Super Hawk. Never had the money for one. The best of luck with it. Color me jealous!!

AJS came out with some really advanced stuff. All this hype with the new H2R, 300hp Kawasaki? Pfftt, AJS had that in 1939, Super charged V-4!

Attachments

• AJS-Supercharged-Vfour-1939.jpg
    AJS-Supercharged-Vfour-1939.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 265
Sounds kind of corny.... but watching Top Gun as a kid made me fall in love with the Ninja 900. I'd love one of these someday.

Attachments

• ninja900r.jpg
    ninja900r.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 227
well,re the AJS, i might agree with u except it looks like it was built with parts from someones parts collection, had teeny drum brakes that wouldnt stop a tricycle,carried its center of mass way up in the middle of the huge tank,and rode on skinny period tires.Other than that, nice bike.However ,the H2R would eat its lunch in every category and never break a sweat..bj

Thomas_Hudson said:
I hope this is the right picture, hard to tell from a thumbnail pic, but the 1966 Honda RC166 was a work of art. DOHC four-stroke inline six, four valves per cylinder, just under 250cc, turning 18,000rpm, 251 pounds, seven speed, 60hp, with a top speed a little over 149mph, just fantastic.

This... just because I'm a Honda guy and got to see one of these up close. Always been a fan of done-right Tritons as well.

But if it's stuff I've owned, as some are responding, that's a toughie, but I've owned a CB550 for 35+ years and it's been damn good to me. Not a rarity, nothing fancy, just a workhorse and fun to ride. The $100 CB160 would be a close second, I guess...

hocbj23 said:
well,re the AJS, i might agree with u except it looks like it was built with parts from someones parts collection, had teeny drum brakes that wouldnt stop a tricycle,carried its center of mass way up in the middle of the huge tank,and rode on skinny period tires.Other than that, nice bike.However ,the H2R would eat its lunch in every category and never break a sweat..bj

Methinks you underestimate the Ajay and overestimate the Kwaker.

as for bikes i haven't owned,,,an original katana (1000cc though, much rarer, just as fast and the wire wheels look sooooooo much better than the poxy stock GSX alloys)
and an early single seat CB1100R
and a Z1300 while i'm at it
oh alright, an '85 GSXR 750 if you insist

Naw,Hoof, I give the AJ kudos for advanced tech for the time and I would love to have one, but it wouldnt handle and wouldnt stop.Go fast in a straight line it would. But the Kwacker would do all the things the AJ wouldnt and outrun it in a straight line as well.If u were running a MotoGP at Road Atlanta, which one would u want to be hanging out with?bj

I don't now where you got the idea the Ajay doesn't handle or stop. Put the two on the Island and see who gets back to Glenctchery Rd. first. Or even Road Atlanta. I'll take the Ajay any day. I'll assume we are referring to the Porcupine Sonreir posted. It did win the initial 500cc World Championship in 1949. You don't do that by not handling or stopping.

Hoofhearted said:
Methinks you underestimate the Ajay and overestimate the Kwaker.
When the supercharged Kwak came out, I was underwhelmed. The H2R version has 300hp and my turbocharged ZX-14 only has 320hp. I can pop in a boost spring and map, tame it down to 238hp for street use. The H2R engine is made to handle 300hp, I hope. Being a nasty Uni-block it has the same issues as the ZX-14 when you scuff a piston. Complete teardown unlike a Busa with separate cylinders.

He-he.Great discussion.I would point out,Hoof, that in 1949 nothing handled or braked worth a poop so the AJs raw hp gave it a huge advantage, I take the Kwacker and I would be back at the finish line at I of M or RA about 2 days before the AJ.bj

P.S. ST: Have u ridden an H2R? I have and I was not underwhelmed, I was scared poopless. Of course at age 75 I probably should not have been on the damn thing anyway, but it is a great bike and if I was a young man again, I would have one. In the meantime, my 82 KZ 1000 and 86 Yammy Radian 600 will have to suffice.bj

I've ridden several H2s. All very impressive until you try to turn. I still don't understand your statement that in 1949 nothing handled or braked. Freddie Frith had the fastest lap at the 1949 TT at 84.23 mph. This was done on 80 octane gas. I raced a Suzuki RG500 (production racer) back in the late 70s. A huge step above the beat up Manx I had. It would make an H2 blush in all depts. Particularly handling. I confine my efforts now to land speed racing which would suit an H2 just fine.

Yep. In 1949 ur probably right. Ever put an H2R on a track? Hang ur posterior out? Or just ride. If an H2R couldnt beat 82 mph on any track, I would eat a handle bar grip without catchup. Comeon Hoof ur eat up with nostalgia.I appreciate ur Bonneville exploits. But remember, A stock 1973 Kz900 ran Daytona 24 hours faster than anything u have done at Bonneville.Humbling aint it.BJ

Back
Top Bottom