DWMS Racing RD350 Cafe Racer! New Gold Leaf Lettering And Graphics!

Re: DWMS Racing RD350 Build! New Custom Frame Work Photos!

joeyputt said:
Thank You Brother Green199, it really means a lot to everyone involved with this build that you like the frame! This is only the beginning of the frame work, we are adding a couple of new gussets in other places and have a cool rear guard that we are planning on incorporating into the frame as well so I hope that you will continue to enjoy the rest of the build!

I certainly will! The rear guard is looking very nice, love how it tucks away so nicely.

Joe, when something looks this awesome "in the raw" we can only imagine how sweet it will look when it's done. Thanks for taking the time to get these small details perfect. Getting this foundation right is what will ensure my custom RD will be not only cool now, but that 15 years from now people will still appreciate it! Watching this thread will certainly make my New England winter a little easier to take!! lol

phat13 said:
Awesome mate!!
Don't you just love cardboard to :D

Cheers Wayne :)

Yes I love cardboard Brother! Sometimes I have ideas that sound good however I may not like them when I actually build the parts so I build a lot of things out of cardboard so that I can set them on the frame to see what they will look like!

Green199 said:
I certainly will! The rear guard is looking very nice, love how it tucks away so nicely.

I am very happy that you like the design Brother, I hope you enjoy these photos as well!

bluesmokey74 said:
Joe, when something looks this awesome "in the raw" we can only imagine how sweet it will look when it's done. Thanks for taking the time to get these small details perfect. Getting this foundation right is what will ensure my custom RD will be not only cool now, but that 15 years from now people will still appreciate it! Watching this thread will certainly make my New England winter a little easier to take!! lol

Brother I can not wait to see her all together and I truly hope that people will continue to enjoy her now and in the future! She is definitely going to be different and really cool with everything that you have planned for her! I will try to take some extra photos to help get you through the cold winter!

I cut the rear guards out of 1/8" inch thick aluminum plate today, I still have some more filing and shaping that I want to do however I thought I would share a few photos of how they look so far!

The guards are not mounted yet, I taped them in place so that I could take a few photos of how they look on the frame.

000_0001-1.jpg

000_0004-1.jpg

000_00052.jpg

I love the look, but where are the air filters going to go? I have an RD and it is really tight fit for the Y-boot and filter. Even less if you do individual pods for each carb.

Nice man, real nice lines to that :D

sunnamp33 said:
I love the look, but where are the air filters going to go? I have an RD and it is really tight fit for the Y-boot and filter. Even less if you do individual pods for each carb.

We are very happy that you like the look Brother, we have not made any decisions about the air filtration system yet so I am not sure if we will run something conventional or build a complete custom system however I did check for room with the engine and carburetors in place when we first started planning the frame modifications and we actually have a nice amount of room to work with so hopefully we will be able to do something cool!

phat13 said:
Nice man, real nice lines to that :D

Thank You Brother!

Your clearly able to think out side the box , im sure there's Guna be a lot of nice stuff going on with this one, lol I'm excited to see your progress mate ;)

Thank You for your support Brother, it is awesome to have you here with us and I am very happy that you are enjoying this build!

I got back to work today after a very nice holiday with family, I cut the two new gussets for the front of the frame out of flat plate steel to replace the factory stamped steel ones that we removed and I also cut two new gussets to go behind the top of the rear down tubes to help strengthen the rear frame section. I designed the new gussets so that the outside of the plates are flush with the outside of the frame rails to keep everything looking really smooth, after I cut out the four new gussets I welded them to the frame.

I truly hope you all had a very nice holiday as well!

000_0001-2.jpg

000_0003-1.jpg

000_0009-3.jpg

000_0013.jpg

I've been thinking this for a while, but your frame proves it. "No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better at than you are! Lesson is, don't try!"

Haha - well I'm trying anyways - really nice piece of steel you got there.

I love where this is going Joe! And for those holding their breathe..... The steering lock and the center-stand are history! lol

Looks really nice Joe! ;)

andrewlk said:
I've been thinking this for a while, but your frame proves it. "No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better at than you are! Lesson is, don't try!"

Haha - well I'm trying anyways - really nice piece of steel you got there.

We are all equals Brother, some of us have different styles or different ways that we like to do things however at the end of the day that does not make any of us better than one another it only makes the way that we reach our personal goals a little different. Always try no matter what happens my friend as the sense of accomplishment that you will receive when you reach your goal is a truly rewarding experience!

stroker crazy said:
Stunning stuff Joe!

Crazy

Thank You Brother!

bluesmokey74 said:
I love where this is going Joe! And for those holding their breathe..... The steering lock and the center-stand are history! lol

Looks really nice Joe! ;)

I am very happy that you like it Brother!

I decided to work on the front of the RD frame today so I started by welding in a new cross brace frame rail between the two front down tubes, this new frame rail should add some strength to the front end and relieve some of the stress that is on the front engine mounts as well. Both of the front engine mounts only had a small weld at the top and bottom on each side from the factory so I went ahead and finished welding them all the way on both sides of each mount, hopefully this will help prevent cracking in the engine mount area and it will also look a lot smoother once we paint the frame. There was a hole that was left open from where I removed the steering lock so I welded it closed and I also did some more finish welding around the factory gussets on the front of the frame.

I still have more smoothing and finish work that I would like to do however I thought I would share some photos of the work I did today for you all to enjoy!

000_0002-3.jpg

000_0003-2.jpg

000_0007-1.jpg

000_0008-2.jpg

000_0012-2.jpg

000_0013-1.jpg

000_0014-2.jpg

phat13 said:
Good job mate ;) be a shame to hide that under all the bodywork

Actually that's something I'm looking forward to , the panels an paint :D

Long way off I know but I'm with ya on this :)

phat13 said:
Good job mate ;) be a shame to hide that under all the bodywork

Actually that's something I'm looking forward to , the panels an paint :D

Long way off I know but I'm with ya on this :)

Thank You Brother! Unless the plan changes this bike is actually not going to have very much body work on it other than the fuel tank and the tail section and the only panels that will be on the bike are the two aluminum rear guards that we built, we really want to keep this bike as clean as possible! I am really looking forward to seeing everything painted as well! Thank You for being here with me on this Brother, that truly means a lot to me my friend!

Joe u are more than welcome mate,

A confession , I'm a bit slow on the up take, I have just been on your site an the penny has dropped that u are a very very capable pro builder, now I feel like a total knob!! :eek:

Sorry if I may have sounded patronising or out with any of my comments.

I agree with the clean simple look ,it's so hard to get wright but thats were the trick is ;)

I'm sure u have many nice ideas in your thoughts :)

Cheers Wayne

Thank you for the kind words Brother however I am not a pro I am just a regular guy that loves to build bikes like everyone else here, I am just very blessed to be able to make a living for my family by doing what I love to do! As far as your comments we are all equals here Brother and I always look forward to and appreciate you sharing all of your thoughts and opinions, we are all here to share ideas and support one another! There is nothing at all to be sorry for as your comments mean more to me than you know, Thank You for being here with us on this build my friend!

That's great that u can do the job u love :)

I have this idea that this is wot I want to do for my work but it just not that simple for me I'm afraid , I do love building things, cars have been my main interest but as I grow older I'm slowly slipping back to my two wheel roots lol

If you get a few mins please take a look at my build thread, I would be more than pleased to share , and i would apriciate any comments and help as I progress

Again cheers Joe , an keep building :D

I apologize for the delayed response Brother, I have been very busy here at the shop and I have also been building the new website pages for the Ramshox so I have not been able to be here on DTT as much as I normally am. I have seen your build and it looks very nice however I have not looked at it recently so I will go read it in just a few minutes!

Now that I have completed most of the work on the front of the frame I decided to work on the mounting tabs for the rear alloy guards some more today, I drilled the guards and welded the tabs in place with the rear guards inside of the frame rails and flush with the back of the rear down tubes so that when you look at the bike from the side everything looks really smooth. Now that I am able to bolt the rear guards in place I can finish the final shaping of them around the edges.

I am thinking about adding one more mounting tab to the lower guard and we will be using smaller stainless steel hardware for the final assembly however I took a few photos to share with you all!

000_0001-3.jpg

000_0002-4.jpg

000_0003-3.jpg

This may be silly and not in keeping with your style on this bike but.. I do this from time to time. On the open frame tubes (toward the rear) I'd weld a nickle to cap the tubes. Sprint car guys weld nickles on the top of the traditional push bar, for good luck? On the left, the year the bike was manufactured, on the right, the year it will be finished.
Cheers, 50gary

Back
Top Bottom