Bobber donor for a fat guy?!

axe

Hey guys,

I've put on a hundred pounds since i last rode, and getting back into the hobby this season.

So i tip the scales at 415.... I am mainly looking for a bike that i can bob (eventually)

My main concerns right now are cost/availability

I would go with a Rebel 250, but I doubt i could ever ride it on highway.
I considered a shadow 600 vlx, but am worried it too might have issues, with the 4 speed transmission.

Any reccomendations? low CC's are a must, since i am considered a new rider again after letting my license laps :(

anything over a 500 might be a little too steep insurance wise. If i wasn't sucha fat bastard I'd be going for a rebel right away.

Main use for the bike will be commuting, and occasional rides on old highways (no 400 sereies for Ontario guys)

Thanks in advance everyone!

Hey Axe, welcome to DTT!

low CC's are a must, since i am considered a new rider again after letting my license laps
Not familiar with your laws but is this mandated? Is there a CC limit on riders that are considered "new", or is it because you haven't riden in a long time you are thinking you should stay away from large displacement bikes until you've regained your skills?
In my ignorance, this may not be a choice, but if I was your size I'd be looking for a bike that is designed to be ridden two-up on a regular basis. 750cc or higher. Nothing says you have to run wide open throttle all the time.... and you would be much happier with the tourque thats on hand when you need it.
Not to be biased or anything but take a look at my "Bomber" linked in my sig at the bottom. That bike is a Full-figured Gal compared to my "Lil Sister" CB and would be more proportionate to a larger guy.

Hey Hoosier, nice rides so far!

The small cc's thing is mainly for insurance cost. If i had my way, i'd be buying another sporty to behonest, i really loved that bike. but being newly divorced, and on a REALLY tight budget, for the time being, smalla nd cheap rules the roost. the vlx600 seems nice, as does the vstar 650. I need to get ahold of my insurance company to see if an older cb650 or 750 would be nice and cheap (since they are considered "classic")

I had been looking at Hyosung and Johnny pag as my main choices, but when i turned 35 the other day, my rates dropped a nice chunk, so i can consider up to a 650-ish ride.

thompsonmx100 said:
what about an xs 650 theyre great bikes with a large following. Plenty of hop up potential

Well after hearing back from yet ANOTHER insurance company, it looks like I can afford something in the 750-800 range. so a 650 would work fine, but I am leaning towards either a
Honda shadow 750 ACE
V-star 650 classic
Kawasaki Vulcan 800

Still being a cheap bastard, i am leaning towards the v-star. I know Blue collar Bobbers does some kit work for the v-star and vulcan so that puts them ahead of the ACE in that regard.

My favorite bike of all time is the WWII WLA and WLC models, so I was thinking of doing something based on that... all the bikes have the "faux hardtail" looks (good so i don't compact my spine before id rop the hundred or 2 pounds my doc wants me to) so that is good. Mainly thinking of a bobber done in olive drab. maybe a US army star on the tank, metalwork powder coated flat black, simple wrapped exhaust. sort of an idealized version of a wwII dispatch bike. I also chose the fat "classic" looking models so that I could get that wide front look without heavy modification to the front end. I am not a metal fabricator, and though a buddy is helping me, I need as much as i can to be shade tree and bolt on sort of work.

I love the look and simplicity of the Vstar 650, but being a heavy guy, i can't ignore that the vulcan 800 classic puts out almost double the horsepower.

DECISIONS!

i own a 750 shadow ace. they are great bikes and have nice torque. i wanted to bob this one for a while, but its my dads bagger.

shocks are soft on em; might want to upgrade them, but my dad plus me riding two up on it with some cargo nears 450 pounds or so on her and she does just fine.

not much in terms of hop up potential, but a set of pipes, a cut open intake, proper jetting and the 3 degree timing mod make the bike feel crazy quick for a cruiser.

its hard... but try and loose some weight man. it can be done! working on the bike a lot helps... keep at it and you could be back to your old riding condition man! :D

Hahaha, thanks Rocan.

yeah, I realize that it is better for me to drop a hundred pounds, than to try and mod a middleweight v-twin for more power... cheaper too! This is all part of "reclaiming my life" now that i am divorced froma womanw ho was not "good" for me.

Lots of water, lots of apples and less carbs... with a little luck it'll all work out fine!

As to the bike, I am still leaning towards the vulcan. The extra horsepower is hard to pass up, as well as the fact that my local dealer has a few nice ones in my price range, ready to go... they are ALL dressed mind you (not officially touring models, but bags/big assed windshield...

but that can be changed!

Having been with a woman who was less than beneficial to have around, I can completely identify, and while a divorce is never a pleasant option (especially for us guys) I'll bet your life takes on a far more positive note. Hang in there man, feel what you have to feel and ALLOW yourself to be happy again. The rest will fall into place.

As to the bike, I think you're on the right track, hope to see a build soon man!

Thanks for thewords of wisdom Swagger. Getting back into riding is just one of the many things i am reclaiming now that i am "single guy" again. Hell, i may even start playing in a band again!

On the bike front, i stopped by a bike shop i used to get stuff from (bike/salvage yard) and talked to the guys there. They happened to have a 600 vlx, and i didn't even have to sit on it to know it wasn't going to work. I am sure it has lots of get up and go for someone who is 5'8 and 140 pounds... but it was not an option for me at 6'3 400 pounds. it was pretty, and in minty fresh shape, but it was so small I would have all my buddies saying i looked like a bear int he moscow circus!

the had a 750 ace too, but it had just sold.

I gotta stop by the shop that had a vew vulcan 800's and aces to pick up my helmet when it comes in (besides being relatively huge, i had to order a 3xl helmet... hope this one fits!)
so i'll get a chance to check them out in a little more detail.

Hey Axe, glad to hear you are getting back into bikes. The vlx 600 is actually scary under powered, not much better than a rebel 250 cause it weighs a lot more. I would say since you are not really a newbie, just a bit rusty, I would go for the 800 or if you are cruiser shopping even the V-star 1100 or a bike in that size, vtx 1300 etc. you won't get into trouble at your size and not really being new to bikes, your throttle control should come bak quick. I am 6 foot and 200 pounds, have ridden a friends 600 and it was no faster than my 400, i currently am riding a vintage GL1000 and that bike is perfect. Love it. Just like Hoosier said, if you can wrench, these things are great for larger guys, a little less cruiser and more vintage sport tourer when n'ked. I have read the Viulcan 800's are nice. my boss had one and liked it a lot, upgraded to a 1600 for 2-up touring.

Cheers,

Maritime

man i would look at a 1100 wing... either that or a shadow 750 they would move and look sick bobbed out!

Well, put a bit of $$$ down on a vulcan 800 classic this afternoon (after ordering in a new helmet for my MASSIVE head!)

Of everything they had in stock, it felt the closest to "right"

Was pretty cheap cause it has the midnight blue paint (blue black) that nobody seems too keen about and the sad generic pinstriping.

Not my ideal bike stock, but i figure for my first year back, it'll be fine to tool around on, and get back to my riding form.

next year i can look at stripping it down a little, and painting it a colour i like.

now i gotta go write the paper, then callt he insurance company.

the work never ends!

Like this?
vulcan-800-classic.jpg

Hey good deal man! What are you plans for it? I mean besides hooning around town scoring babe......

Lil tweekin... Removed fenders, chopped the seat, and a little of the rear frame horns. relocated the tail lighte and turn signals then lowered the handlebars.
I think that'll do nicely!

Thats the plan Hoosier!

I figure next year i can bob the rear fender, put a new seat on it. cut down or eliminate the front fender, paint it olive drab, and wrap the exhaust, after cutting it down.

Hey Axe. I have cb750 fever and I'm just as big as you.

I rode a buddy's cafe 750 that has a 836 kit and it is scary fast even with my big ass on it ! Looked kinda like a giant frog tryin to hump the poor bike but other than looking funny it drug me around just fine.

Here's some pics of mine that I chopped. 75 CB with 836 weisco and andrews "A" grind, Dyna ignition DOHC front end 2" over, big twin oilbag HD controls, and assorted other stuff. The Lesters are getting polished and goin on the Matic most likely.
http://s382.photobucket.com/albums/oo261/nheckler/Bobber/

OKAY I'M BACK!!!!

So heres the horrific updates lol.

I thought iwas in the 415 category, turns out i had mis-estimated by 50 pounds!!!!! BEing in a horrible relationship where all you do is hate each other and eat can really pack on the pounds! after dieting and walking more often for the past 6 months, and trying DESPERATELY to change bad habits I am at 400... about 60 pounds gone, (not to mention the ex!) the new GF is great, and is helping me along with the weight loss.

The Vulcan 800 survived the first season realatively unscathed, i think the fork seals are almost gone, gotta get the front end worked on... BEing in a condo is kinda sucky though, they won't even let me change the oil!!! so i gotta find somehwere to work. I am currently figuring out my path, for a few weeks i was considering another sporty, especially after seing the current 48 at a bike show.. it's what i wanted my old sportster to look like... the price isn't too too high, BUT after getting a quote with taxes and delivery and yadda yadda I realized it was way out of my range.

So the vulcan must be chooped!

Right on man. Way to go on the weight loss. Thats gotta feel good. As far as the Vulcan...

Make sure that you want to chop it up man. The second you do it DROPS in resale. Now, normally Im all for cutting a bike up, but itll be really difficult to get that lean, stripped down look youre after without dropping some serious coin on the Vulcan. Why dont ya just get it all cleaned up, and running strong, than trade it in on an HD of your liking. Or sell it and get that bike you REALLY want...

Just some thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom