1953 Triumph TR3

Dale

Coast to Coast
So this has been my brothers build over the last, like 3 years I think. Ive helped out on weekends, but the credit goes to him mostly. He's been at it and hes done a great job so far. It was a real rust bucket, and lots of parts were missing. Our dad was chatting to one of the Triumph guys one day at a show, and the guy mentioned he had a '53 TR3 that was basically a right off, and wasn't worth restoring, it was in too bad condition. So my brother made him an offer, and it was his.

Our dad restored cars more cars than I can remember over the years, and my brother and I lived in his garage. We watched and learned. Got shouted at. Were made to do the grunt stuff. But in the end it served us well. Cos now we'z doin our own buillds. And its awesome. :)

Bad cellphone pic, but you can see the cool.

TR3_02-1.jpg

TR3_01-1.jpg

TR3_02.jpg

TR3_01.jpg

TR3_03.jpg

:)

Thats an absolute beauty. If you havent heard of it, theres a vintage race here in Pittsburgh every year, the Pittsburgh Vintage Gran Prix. Cars in several classes, from the 1910s - the 1970s race on a street course through a public park.
There are always quite a few vintage MGs from the same era as yours.
One of these days Id love to find one and build it to race as I believe that the last race I attended, there were cars from 20+ different states, as well as Canada, but only a small number from the Pittsburgh region.

Wow the attention to detail on your little build there is stunning... that will be one fun little car.

Both myself and Mike (aka Von) have quite the affinity towards older cars like this, yours is no exception. A 50's era TR3 has always been on my "wish" list. Keeps us updated!

Cheers

Thanks guys! The Pittsburgh Vintage Gran Prix sounds like a lot of fun. Watching classic and vintage cars doing what they were designed for is always an awesome sight.

I was watching a show on Discovery the other night where they followed an Aston Martin DB7 team during the 2010 Le Mans Classic. Just watching them take that machine to the absolute limit (discs red hot, rear end getting smashed up, and then aluminium being cut off and pop riveted back onto the car to get it out again. The original (yet rebuilt) motor stressed as hell, and the mechanics working on it mid race) And its worth like what $100K or more? Maybe even double that? I don't know. You're cringing and loving it at the same time.

Always been a fan of the MG A.

Could have picked up a 356 A Porsche in 2001 for $3K. Metal body, so it was genuine, but had lots of stuff missing - bumpers, badging, VW beetle parts all over it. I think the guy had used it for a donor vehicle for another 356 he was restoring. Still, could kick myself for not getting it. Would have cost a packet to restore, but they're worth silly money today.

Ah, but bikes are easier and more fun anyways!

What a beauty!
I really like those old british sports cars, they have tons of character

I'd love to sometime have an Austin Healey "Frogeye" prepped for vintage racing, but my gf doesn't want me to get one and race it, she thinks they're too cute to be raced :(

But anyway, great TR3, tell your brother that he gets thumbs up for restoring such a beautiful classic!

dakine_surf said:
Both myself and Mike (aka Von) have quite the affinity towards older cars like this, yours is no exception. A 50's era TR3 has always been on my "wish" list. Keeps us updated!

Cool I will!
My brother originally paid 700 bucks for it, so they can be had for a good price if you know where to look...

I'm not sure what his burn is to date, but I would guess maybe ten times that amount. But he's a perfectionist. He even ordered specific bolts that are visible on the bodywork from somewhere in England, so that they would be 100% original.

Hey thanks Hellcat450. Yup, the Frogeye Sprite is a nice one! The classic car racing fraternity do respect each others cars (mostly), and they tend to not get that banged up (that much). A friend of mine used to race a 50's MINI. In other classes (raced simultaneously) he would have to avoid bashing into GT40's and E-type Jags. His little MINI was so fast around the corners, that he was actually competitive!

VonYinzer said:
Thats an absolute beauty. If you havent heard of it, theres a vintage race here in Pittsburgh every year, the Pittsburgh Vintage Gran Prix. Cars in several classes, from the 1910s - the 1970s race on a street course through a public park.
There are always quite a few vintage MGs from the same era as yours.
One of these days Id love to find one and build it to race as I believe that the last race I attended, there were cars from 20+ different states, as well as Canada, but only a small number from the Pittsburgh region.

What's the name of the park? It starts with an "s" right? And is very hilly? I played golf there a few years ago.

OP : Love the Triumph. My brother and I plan to fix up our grandfather's 73 MGB. It sat for years and then about 5 years ago we fixed it up and got it running and gave it to my grandfather for his birthday about a year before he passed away.

Can't wait to see the TR3 done. Keep us updated!

Stunning!
A TR6 has been on my Wish List for quite a while now.
My bro had an early '70's Spitfire. One of the most fun cars I've driven. Like a gocart with an attitude. The top never went up on it, unless it was parked... overnight... with a chance of rain lol. During light rain, as long as you were moving the rain would fly right over. At redlights he'd pop an umbrella until the light turned green. Talk about getting funny looks! :D

Redbird, its really difficult typing with that animated handle youve got there. :p ))

Spent the day yesterday at my brother, not too much done on the TR3 over last month or so, but slowly but surely its looking more the part! (Click on pics to expand to 100%)

TR3_20.jpg

TR3_21.jpg

TR3_22.jpg

Ha! Thanks guys. yup, she's looking pretty! My brother's been restoring a 1930's saxophone, and the TR3 has been a little "neglected" latety. But awesome seeing it come together...

Back
Top Bottom