Hollywoodmx's XV920 Tracker - Quick Build

Umm. So not happy with the 2 into 1 carb and not happy with the stock carbs and don't have the energy to put in FCR's again like my Cafe I bought a turbo and a bunch of turbo parts instead for this bike. Keep it simple right!

Intake manifold and blow through carb test fitting, needs some slight modifications but a good start. (Ignore the filter, its for my KZ, just didn't want to disconnect it from the elbow)

Attachments

• 20150919_135808.jpg
    20150919_135808.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 420
Ok so I gathered some parts while on vacation. I am at the tail end of planning out the intercooler and piping design for purchase.

I have the biggest GT15 you can get, a GT1549s turbo, 9 blade turbine wheel (more HP than the 10 blade), malpassi fuel regulator, Greddy type RS bov (knock off), HSR42 carb setup for blow through.

For anyone interested the GT15 I have is a good turbo for someone just wanting a bump in power that comes on sooner, my next choice would be a GT2052 48 trim where the boost comes a little later but is producing less heat than the GT15. Since I am intercooling I am less worried about the heat and will take the earlier spool because of the shorter red line of the XV. I could upgrade the valve train and ignition on this bike too but I'm trying to do the turbo system on the cheap for a bang for buck experience because I have a habit of blowing too much money on bikes already.

I don't mind shopping for bike parts in the evening after work, but my weekends are dedicated to xv cafe project until its done. I have to finish it before working on adding the turbo system to this bike. I have 3 bikes at 90%'ish and its killing me. Part of me is even thinking working on the KZ before this turbo kit.. not sure we'll see, I bought parts for the KZ too to finish it.

Attachments

• GT1549S-Turbo-452213-0003-Turbocharger-For-Ford.jpg
    GT1549S-Turbo-452213-0003-Turbocharger-For-Ford.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 382
Well I had no time to mess with the turbo work is too busy and too much overtime. So I started cleaning the project up to finish it. I haven't been posting the progress but I will we done tomorrow.

I got the decals on and made a two into one exhaust because the carb was not liking the Jardines and cams. The Jardines were too load too as they can be repacked. They y part of the manifold was a good 6 hours because of its complexity and cause my bandsaw died.

I'll have the final photos tomorrow with the exhaust done I figure.
27628d8c65f64c52793239efda7aa3b8.jpg
31468e045130178dd4ccfb5b51df6d5b.jpg
61d5693f445a3232b481b9a4b85a7fa1.jpg

Hey Mr. HollywoodMX,

so did you run into the same oil-pressure issues with taking the oil-pressure from the union bolt as I did?
I am going to run a GT1548 (cheap and plentiful in used condition overhere) on the next setup as a replacement to the T3...

Cheers,
Greg

der_nanno said:
Hey Mr. HollywoodMX,

so did you run into the same oil-pressure issues with taking the oil-pressure from the union bolt as I did?
I am going to run a GT1548 (cheap and plentiful in used condition overhere) on the next setup as a replacement to the T3...

Cheers,
Greg
Hey man. Define oil pressure issues? Did you run a oil restrictor on the turbo? The oil restrictor restricts it to very small hole. You have to run those on smaller turbos like that. Even for cars. Those turbo bearings need temperature cooling so the oil needs to move faster through the housing. The actual area for oil is small.

Ps Im not running the turbo. No time for that.

Final pics as promised. The bike is a blast. 0 to 30km it's faster than my hayabusa. It shoots me to the back of my seat when I launch. Fun to ride when the peak power is lower rpm. With these cams the 2 into 1 exhaust really helps with the 42mm carb.
a9102d894f6373381ee9658d0be099ba.jpg
dd7691f4177edfc1c1d291a748e2b816.jpg
961c601cc08ceb320a6dfe040e09a468.jpg
a6db73c0cf8ca79bf3b2d04c8a7ef72a.jpg
5dcc76755502a0683bd3ce2781138a09.jpg
22a381b75be36345effc27775f73cdaa.jpg

HollywoodMX said:
Hey man. Define oil pressure issues? Did you run a oil restrictor on the turbo? The oil restrictor restricts it to very small hole. You have to run those on smaller turbos like that. Even for cars. Those turbo bearings need temperature cooling so the oil needs to move faster through the housing. The actual area for oil is small.

Hey! Yes, I did run a restrictor, but still I couldn't get enough oil-pressure to the turbo. I'll try a completely different approach on where to pick up the oil for the turbo next. I was just wondering, whether you had the same issues and how you got around them or whether it was something to do with my engine (as it seems).

The bike looks gorgeous, even without a turbo! ;)

der_nanno said:
Hey! Yes, I did run a restrictor, but still I couldn't get enough oil-pressure to the turbo. I'll try a completely different approach on where to pick up the oil for the turbo next. I was just wondering, whether you had the same issues and how you got around them or whether it was something to do with my engine (as it seems).

The bike looks gorgeous, even without a turbo! ;)
That's good to know. Seems like you have a few choices then. I thought I remember reading you can upgrade the 920 pump with an xvs pump but I can't remember. Did you try opening the lower bolt a little for more flow?

You could add a mechanical oil pump which will be a pain and full custom as it will have to be driven off the crank on the left side.

Last option is get a new turbo. There are turbos while pricey that don't require oil or coolant feeds. They use these on Harley's and I've seen wierd setups where they put them at the end of the exhaust too.

http://compturbo.com/products/turbos/ct2

Thanks for the feedback on the bike. Graphics really make the difference. In my city I've never even seen a vintage street tracker. Lots of cafes and street fighters tho.
b6b53ab80ebe13144e21a1b457db3843.jpg

HollywoodMX said:
I thought I remember reading you can upgrade the 920 pump with an xvs pump but I can't remember. Did you try opening the lower bolt a little for more flow?

You could add a mechanical oil pump which will be a pain and full custom as it will have to be driven off the crank on the left side.

Last option is get a new turbo. There are turbos while pricey that don't require oil or coolant feeds. They use these on Harley's and I've seen wierd setups where they put them at the end of the exhaust too.

http://compturbo.com/products/turbos/ct2

Already running a very late XV oilpump, which is similiar to what is installed in the BT and XVS models. I thought about adding a mechanical oil-pump out of a pit-bike pump (I've built something along those lines years ago as a scavenge pump for a completely different turbo setup), but you'd have to build a complete filtration system etc. so it's not really worth it.

I have to admit, before I go down that oil-less-turbo route, I'll put a classic blower on the bike. I already have an Eaton kicking around, but currently simply not enough time to engineer a drive-system from scratch.

der_nanno said:
Already running a very late XV oilpump, which is similiar to what is installed in the BT and XVS models. I thought about adding a mechanical oil-pump out of a pit-bike pump (I've built something along those lines years ago as a scavenge pump for a completely different turbo setup), but you'd have to build a complete filtration system etc. so it's not really worth it.

I have to admit, before I go down that oil-less-turbo route, I'll put a classic blower on the bike. I already have an Eaton kicking around, but currently simply not enough time to engineer a drive-system from scratch.
Well I can tell you. I have a supercharged kz1000 and it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay more work than that expensive turbo in the long run. The xv also doesnt have the room for it either. My sc the size of another xv cylinder and head. Maybe Ur thinking centrifugal, but it's major headaches regardless.

Even though I thought of turboing my xv and got the stuff, I now can't imagine a FI xv really now. I hit red line so fast as is and have to shift all the time Na. Now my cafe xv has a higher limit 8500 but that bike gets through the rpms faster than this tracker.

But you already mentioned the two points that both bug and challenge me: expensive and more work/more challenging.

I am an engineer and currently (sort of) working at uni. Means no money, but a lot of time and I have the workshop to suit. If I wanted simple, I'd simply get a different bike. It's the challenge that gets me with this one... ;D

der_nanno said:
But you already mentioned the two points that both bug and challenge me: expensive and more work/more challenging.

I am an engineer and currently (sort of) working at uni. Means no money, but a lot of time and I have the workshop to suit. If I wanted simple, I'd simply get a different bike. It's the challenge that gets me with this one... ;D
Well my cafe engine was far from simple and enough engineering to keep any builder busy. Think of the people who pioneered the xv1100 conversion to 920s. I did the same with big bore 920s. Piston kits exist on the market because of the engineering done by Greg (big twins), Arias and I. Mine was the first to prove it as well.

That cafe is a gambit of all the best ideas new and old. Modified frame, under 400 lbs, 41mm dual fcrs, equal length exhaust (to the inch), ignitech ignition, race cams, modified head to fit the cams, race valve springs for higher red line, roller cam bearings, R1 coils, 9 pack vx1100 clutch (was that you? I can't remember) I took it a next step by adding race springs which you now get a free workout pulling the clutch, ported heads, 190 rear tire on a stock swingarm, I think was the first for that as well. I pioneered the triumph shock swap. The gsxr steering stem is also on the market because of me.

What I'm trying to say is there is enough engineering you can do without going FI to make a rad bike. I look forward to finishing the cafe next but I worry about how many hours are left.

When I think of all the lost time I spent building these bikes I would rather be riding them. This tracker has taught me that lesson. FI just makes everything that much more complicated and this tracker with cams, cam bearings, 42mm hsr, custom 2 into 1 exhaust, dynateck coils, its fun enough to ride as is. It would almost be time to shift before the boost can really do anything. It would likely die from either heat or hitting the redline too much. You should have an intercooler on this bike as the notable increase in compressed air temp plus air cooled twin is a recipe for disaster.

Not trying to tell you what to do just some wisdom from someone who knows these bikes better than most. There are only an handful of people in the world who have taken these bikes to another level and I'm not talking about the copy cats who make a few bucks copying Greg H. design and selling them or the bigger shops who put a modern front end but then cheese out on the rear wheel with mismatch wheels. That's not innovation, that's cutting corners.

Sorry for my rant. I'm just happy to ride the bike at 98% completed. There are a few things I need to clean up.

HollywoodMX said:
Well my cafe engine was far from simple and enough engineering to keep any builder busy. Think of the people who pioneered the xv1100 conversion to 920s.

In the US you mean, right? The 1100 conversions on both TR1s and 750ies started about 20 years ago in Europe. (check out TR1.de, the oldest references of hopped up TR1s and 750ies) That being said, I don't mean to offend and yes I catch your drift. It's just, I do not only have ONE TR1, it's multiple and the two of them which are roadworthy are built for completely different reasons - the Tractor is my everyday ride and the turbo is for those days, when I just want to engineer stuff for engineering's sake.

HollywoodMX said:
That cafe is a gambit of all the best ideas new and old. Modified frame, under 400 lbs, 41mm dual fcrs, equal length exhaust (to the inch), ignitech ignition, race cams, modified head to fit the cams, race valve springs for higher red line, roller cam bearings, R1 coils, 9 pack vx1100 clutch (was that you? I can't remember) I took it a next step by adding race springs which you now get a free workout pulling the clutch, ported heads, 190 rear tire on a stock swingarm, I think was the first for that as well. I pioneered the triumph shock swap. The gsxr steering stem is also on the market because of me.

Yup 9-disk-clutch was me, first (modified Triumph-rear shock was about ten years ago... but the XT-shock is better, which is why I gave that one up...) - yup, I have (by now) gone the other way and actually lowered the spring pressure a bit, exactly for this reason, still works fine when adjusted correctly.

HollywoodMX said:
What I'm trying to say is there is enough engineering you can do without going FI to make a rad bike. I look forward to finishing the cafe next but I worry about how many hours are left.

Not planning to go FI to be honest, it would be relatively easy, with the necessary funds, but I don't find it very tempting to be honest...

HollywoodMX said:
Not trying to tell you what to do just some wisdom from someone who knows these bikes better than most. There are only an handful of people in the world who have taken these bikes to another level...

Sorry for my rant. I'm just happy to ride the bike at 98% completed. There are a few things I need to clean up.

Well, I've been working and hopping up TR1s for the last 16 years, so I guess, I may know a thing or two about them ;-) That being said, input is always welcome. It might not always be new stuff, but sometimes simply someone telling you WHY they did something a certain way, is helpful per se.

Cheers
Greg

der_nanno said:
In the US you mean, right? The 1100 conversions on both TR1s and 750ies started about 20 years ago in Europe. (check out TR1.de, the oldest references of hopped up TR1s and 750ies) That being said, I don't mean to offend and yes I catch your drift. It's just, I do not only have ONE TR1, it's multiple and the two of them which are roadworthy are built for completely different reasons - the Tractor is my everyday ride and the turbo is for those days, when I just want to engineer stuff for engineering's sake.

Yup 9-disk-clutch was me, first (modified Triumph-rear shock was about ten years ago... but the XT-shock is better, which is why I gave that one up...) - yup, I have (by now) gone the other way and actually lowered the spring pressure a bit, exactly for this reason, still works fine when adjusted correctly.

Not planning to go FI to be honest, it would be relatively easy, with the necessary funds, but I don't find it very tempting to be honest...

Well, I've been working and hopping up TR1s for the last 16 years, so I guess, I may know a thing or two about them ;-) That being said, input is always welcome. It might not always be new stuff, but sometimes simply someone telling you WHY they did something a certain way, is helpful per se.

Cheers
Greg

I'm not saying I'm the first to big bore as there have been many, I'm saying I'm the first to get it to market for others. My design is being sold across the world with many kits going to Europe.

The 1100 swap reference was to think of of the effort people put into figuring that out. I'm was more comparing that effort with design and engineering that I had to do.

The first triumph shock reference was to modern triumph shock suspension may have been done before outside of North America but nothing in seen recorded. Mine actually didn't need mods really though. I could see an xt shock being a lot softer ride.

Triumph is too stiff though and could use a softer spring. But at high speeds it does well.

I thought it was you that designed the clutch idea. Great idea. Even my tracker is suffering clutch issues. It's not crisp enough for me. I had to modify my case cover on the cafe to get it to fit.

Oh without a doubt, you had to put your braincap on more than once during your build(s), which is why I keep following them here and back on VTF, when you built the cafe. As you said to many Greg H. clones out there already.

Regarding shocks: There used to be a stiffer spring from WP-suspension for the old XT (steeper progression) and that would probably be the perfect spring. With two full grown (i.e. around 400 pounds of weight) the progression at the very end is a bit too soft. It's not bottoming out, but I'd wish for a bit more. But as I mostly ride alone, it's absolutely perfect.

Oh and talking of firsts: I am working on the very first double-squishband, small-valve head setup for a TR1.1 at the moment meant to work with stock pistons and still getting a solid 10:1 compression. (Talking about innovation)

Great pics of the bike the Tank looks cool in the background. Was wondering what happened to this build, but I get it my XV stalled for a bit because of LIFE. I finally started to make some progress lately though. Was debating on doing engine mods possibly XVS crank, pistons, and high perf cam. No turbo quite yet. I know you have experience with this and thought at one point recommend leaving it stock but I'm not sure I can help myself. I know it's a disease. Any recommendations DR. ....

der_nanno said:
Oh without a doubt, you had to put your braincap on more than once during your build(s), which is why I keep following them here and back on VTF, when you built the cafe. As you said to many Greg H. clones out there already.

Regarding shocks: There used to be a stiffer spring from WP-suspension for the old XT (steeper progression) and that would probably be the perfect spring. With two full grown (i.e. around 400 pounds of weight) the progression at the very end is a bit too soft. It's not bottoming out, but I'd wish for a bit more. But as I mostly ride alone, it's absolutely perfect.

Oh and talking of firsts: I am working on the very first double-squishband, small-valve head setup for a TR1.1 at the moment meant to work with stock pistons and still getting a solid 10:1 compression. (Talking about innovation)
Well the triumph shock isn't close to bottoming ever. The opposite really. It reacts well to high speed bumps but low speed bad payment is an issue. One big bump is ok. Multiple bumps is the issue.

I'm not sold on small valve setups. Ie 750 heads on 920s. But curious of the progress regardless.
JAGspeed said:
Great pics of the bike the Tank looks cool in the background. Was wondering what happened to this build, but I get it my XV stalled for a bit because of LIFE. I finally started to make some progress lately though. Was debating on doing engine mods possibly XVS crank, pistons, and high perf cam. No turbo quite yet. I know you have experience with this and thought at one point recommend leaving it stock but I'm not sure I can help myself. I know it's a disease. Any recommendations DR. ....
920s out perform all virgos including the xvs. 1100s are Long strokers. More tq less hp, less rpms . It's about how you want the bike to feel when riding it.

For me it's about hp. These bikes ooze tq by default.

Back
Top Bottom