Chrome or Nickle (Preferred) plating recommendations

Jbone

Hey All,
Finally (!!) gearing up for the resto on my dad's ol' '70 BSA Royal Star. one of the big ticket items on the list is the tank restoration....originally chrome, but now has plenty of spot rust and a few dents in it (Most likely from stuff dropping onto it while it set for 20 years!)

At any rate, Im looking to get it re plated. Problem is, the shops around my area (Ottawa, Canada) either don't do gas tanks anymore or is run by some crusty ol' timer who can't be bothered (Dude actually bitched me out for wanting to Nickle plate it instead of chrome......?!)

So yeah, Im not against sending the tank south if I have to to get the job done right, so any recommendations for plating shops that will do tanks would be most appreciated.

cheers,
J

Really? Thats odd...been seeing a few Nickle plated tank mods lately....case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unOWLXtiJ_c

That said, interesting point about the "patina"....not sure how I feel about that look, but interesting none the less. And yes, you are indeed correct about the paint on Chrome....this however is red. But I think it may have been done post factory...I'll have to ask the ol' man.

But since replating is the intent, the dents would naturally be removed....still working on how...a nail tac welded in place is up there on the list of possibilities, but preferred.
The easy route would be sourcing a modern repro from India...however having lived there for a couple of years, Im not confident on the quality of the chrome job. The newer Enfields spot rust like crazy....reckon a repro for a BSA would be no different.

I hear ya on the indian copies.....I was not terribly impressed with anything I've seen from there.
In regards to the rods used to push out dents from the inside....I think I know what your talking about. My dad has kept telling me there was an article in one his old brit bike magazines that showed you how to fashion one....I have yet to find it however.

At any rate, looking forward to this...its been a long time coming!

They are called body picks......dent removal guys use them to get into tight spots to "push" dents out slowly. Call any local dent removal guys and ask to see what they use
Around my area there is Dent King

Uh....I think I did that electrical welding thing wrong...I ended up blowing up my breaker panel...and well.....lets just say I dont have any eyebrows left..... :p

Back
Top Bottom