Would it make me a poser if....

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Would it make me a poser if I bought an ADV bike and used it primarily for commuting?

The vintage bikes are getting to be not fun again. Too many projects, too many niggling bugs to chase down, etc. The ZRX 1100 is trouble free (but will need fork seals and a front tire soon).

I work a 12 hour shift rotation. I have safety PPE that I have to take back and forth to work, including a hard hat. Sometimes I bring lunch. There's no way I'm putting that hard hat in my back pack. The thought of going down and falling on that hard hat.....ugh...no way.
I can slip a sub or a sandwich in the backpack, but a plate lunch of leftovers doesn't travel too well like that.
I have a cargo net that works sometimes. I have some soft luggage for the ZRX. My actual commute is short and I find myself taking nearly as much time securing all this stuff and gearing up as I do riding to work.

I want something with luggage, but not a huge bike like a Goldwing, Concours, etc. There are plenty of cheap dual sport type bikes out there, but the straight, skinny dirt bike seat slays me.
The thought of the ADV bikes with real luggage, wind protection, auxiliary power outlets, etc., gets more and more appealing to me.

BMW obviously makes something that would fit the bill. The V-Strom is out there. For some reason, I keep going back to the Kawasaki Versys. Funky but not objectionable styling. Aftermarket support. Hard bags that I could just flip open a lid and drop my stuff in. Standard riding position and a wider, more comfortable saddle than the DR 650 or KLR 650.

I feel like I'd regret not having at least one vintage bike in the stable, but the thought of selling one, two or even three bikes and paying cash for a Versys and having thousands left over to put in the bank is very, very tempting.

I don't ride off road. Ever. I do think that, if I had one do-it-all bike like that, I would be more inclined to take longer road trips. More touring instead of pleasure rides or rides to and from events.
Am I just getting to be an old fart? Am I a poser for having a tall, rugged-luggage looking bike and using it to commute and take an occasional overnight out of town?

If you didn't tell us we wouldn't have known you don't take it off road. Take one day every 6 months and go adventure so you won't feel guilty. ;D
If you had a Ferrari that would do 200mph, you might not do it everyday. I might, but you might not. 8)

Do you really care what we think? You shouldn't. ;)

I have a ADV bike that sees mainly commuter duty going off road once a month maybe on one route that is 11 miles. Get a Triumph Tiger XR the on road version stick some hard luggage and use that. I have the XC version of the Tiger and love it. Plenty of power and long distance comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which Versys are you looking at buying? Since you mentioned the other 650 bikes I will assume you meant the 650. Regardless, neither versys is really suited for much off road anyway. They are however an excellent choice for a commuter bike with load carrying capability. I love the sound, simplicity and reliability of the 650's parallel twin.

I consider nobody that actually rides a poser. Ride whatever you want, wherever you wanna ride it. Just be sure to ride.

The Versys should suit your applications very well...

I happen to have one (2014 ABS) and it is my daily commuter. It cruises at highways speeds with plenty of overtaking power, but is really at home from 0-65mph. Commutes are a breeze (and a blast!)... It's a great little canyon carver, capable of 2-up for short stints, and can handle luggage/overnight trips with ease (I have the factory side cases.)

My commute varies from 20-200mi/day depending on where I'm working, and I've had zero issues racking up the miles either way... again, always fun!

As stated above, in stock form it's not an offroad bike... trust me, I've tried... but the slightly longer-travel suspension makes it great for commutes where less-then-perfectly maintained roads are abound, again another solid commuter point!

While I've owned probably 15 bikes over the years, of many different pedigrees, this one takes the cake as an all-rounder (save for off-roading.)

If you spend 20min test-riding one, you'll understand what they're all about ;-)

I think that when I man up and buy a new model bike it will be an ADV model. I love to go offroad so the blend of road and dirt appeal to me. Honda has the new Africa Twin coming out soon if you are looking at a larger displacement machine. I have been eyeing up the Suzuki Vstrom in the 650 range. IDK if I would like to have 100hp under my legs while I'm on a dirty road so I may go with a smaller 650 type. The Africa twin is supposed to have a target of 50/50 for road and dirt while most others lean in to the 70/30 range.
I have a buddy that has a Super Tenere and he loves it. He says the best thing about it is when he sees a road off the path that makes him curious, he jumps off road. Seems like a fun deal to me.

I to use my bike as a daily commuter. I use a cargo net I the tank to hold everything. Lunchbox,chaps,or whatever I may need for the day. Hard hat stays at work for me though lol

I think of my Stelvio as a truck. ADV bikes are nice commuters, comfortable, sit up over traffic, a place for stuff.

Midwestgl500 said:
I to use my bike as a daily commuter. I use a cargo net I the tank to hold everything. Lunchbox,chaps,or whatever I may need for the day. Hard hat stays at work for me though lol

We have to wear our PPE gate to gate. If I could leave it all at work, that would me riding any of my bikes super simple.

If you are worried about looking like an adv poser, just get some of that spray on mud the land rover dealerships offer . it's like the water soluble version of the goo triumph spewed on the Steve McQueen 6 days jacket :)

Seriously tho, an adv bike sounds great for the application. I've been looking hard at concocting something for gravel road fun that doesn't need a truck to transport back and forth. A tad different than your topic, but same direction = more practical than the classics.

I also have been shopping for a proper, "old man motorcycle". Something to put a lot of comfortable miles on, and carry stuff. ;D

4eyes said:
I also have been shopping for a proper, "old man motorcycle". Something to put a lot of comfortable miles on, and carry stuff. ;D

I like the phrasing here. Proper Old Man Motorcycle.

My neighbor has a 1000 vstrom in the dark purple that I long for. Its powerful and versatile and fits his 6'5, 275 lb frame. He is involved with several riding groups and teases me at every opportunity about my garage ornament. Unfortunately I got my ride up and running but my neighbor tore a tendon so I can't go for the ride I promised him. In fact that beautiful zuki is already put away for the season. Mid October is not riding season in Alberta.

Back
Top Bottom