1977 XS650 Yamaha Cafe Build

cretin75xs

Been Around the Block
I have been away for a few years and yesterday I decided to start another cafe build with the purchase of my favorite platform, Yamaha XS650. The bike is not in running condition but it appears the owner has started his own version of a cafe racer. The frame has been repainted, the front fork lowers have been painted gold and by the review of the receipts, he did change seals and oil. The headlamp bucket has been painted and I have the lamp and ring. I have the original tank along with another Yamaha tank. Can someone identify the tank? I also received a box of parts, one being an electronic ignition.
So to start my build I am going to remove all the rusted parts and media blast them and also remove the engine covers to clean and polish.
I will probably strip and repaint both tanks but haven't decided which one to use at this time. The carbs will be removed and inspected, hopefully they were cleaned and rebuilt from the previous owner. I want to exchange the spoke wheels for mags so if there is someone interested, PM me.
I am looking to return the exhaust to 2 into 2, if anyone is interested in exchanging my 2 into 1 for the original headers, PM me.
I have a picture of an electronic ignition setup the previous owner wanted to install but did not. I will google the brand to see if it is a setup I would want to use.
I hope I did not bite off more that I can chew, I have limited mechanical knowledge but a good manual should help me get her running. But like life, it will be a challenge.
I will continue to provide updates so please be patient. Also, if you have any input that you would like to offer I am open to an suggestions and comments.

Attachments

• Image 5.jpg
    Image 5.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 1,234
  • Image 6.jpg
    Image 6.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,403
  • Image 7.jpg
    Image 7.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,266
  • Image 8.jpg
    Image 8.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,419
  • Image 9.jpg
    Image 9.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,312
  • Image 10.jpg
    Image 10.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,302
  • Image 11.jpg
    Image 11.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 1,448
  • Image 12.jpg
    Image 12.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,378
  • Image 13.jpg
    Image 13.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,380
  • Image 14.jpg
    Image 14.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,321
  • Image 15.jpg
    Image 15.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,309
  • Image 16.jpg
    Image 16.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,358
  • Image 17.jpg
    Image 17.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,330
  • Image 18.jpg
    Image 18.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,382
  • Image 19.jpg
    Image 19.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 1,406
  • Image 20.jpg
    Image 20.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 1,434
  • Image 21.jpg
    Image 21.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,461
  • Image 22.jpg
    Image 22.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,347
  • Image 23.jpg
    Image 23.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,454
Looks good. The second tank is from a Yamaha XS750. Very common and pretty straightforward swap for an XS650 to give it a bit more of a "cafe racer" look.

I worked on the Yammy today, remove items from the left side of the bike; footrest, shifter arm, side cover. I am going to use a bench grinder with a wire wheel to work on the footrest arm and shifter arm and remove the rust. I used an S100 product for the side cover to remove all the surface crap, then used 1500 grit sandpaper and wet sanded it. It turned out ok, but will use 2000 grit to get rid of the swirls and then buff it out with a electric buffer.

Will start tomorrow to remove the kick starter arm, footrest, and side cover from the right side of the bike. May try to remove the exhaust so I can get ready to sell it. More to come…..

I removed the top engine mount that is rusted. I got a product from Harbor Freight, Evapo rust. I soak the parts for 24 hours and they came out clean. I did use a bench grinder to finish the cleaning process and will paint the mount tomorrow. I soaked the stock tank in CLR and it cleaned up well. I will take aircraft stripper to the tank and side covers. Want to get as many parts ready for paint.
Before

After:

With the weather getting warmer in Pennsylvania I had a change to start the paint project. I started with the side covers, used aircraft stripper and scrapped, then used a wire brush to take off the remaining. Looks good, next up the fuel tank.

Haven't posted lately, here are pictures of my rattle can paint job:
Side cover

Front Fender:

Points and Valve covers:

Got the controls installed on the new bars and installed new rubber mounts to the stock footpegs.

I removed the carbs to clean the rusty parts, appears they are in good shape. Is there anything I should look for with the carbs to ensure they are in good operating order?

Carbs:

Got the wiring in the headlamp buttoned up, put the front fender and wheel back on. Have the left side engine cover to install along with the rider pegs. I was going to paint the tank I recently purchased but will wait till after I get her running. Hope to finish up the carbs but need an exhaust system.

Completed a couple of loose ends and mocked up the seat and side covers. Trying to decide on the exhaust, probably going to buy a system from MikesXS, anyone have any feedback about their exhaust? I broke the screw in my rear brake pedal arm, will have to tap it out. Drained the oil and will be add oil and bleeding front brake tomorrow. Decided on Dunstall exhaust….

I've been working on the top end of the motorcycle. When I completed the resto mod and ran the bike it smoked, badly. There was a bad piston so I purchased the top end kit from Mike's XS. The bike is now running well and I will be completing a new paint job for the bike.

Here is the start of a scalloped paint on the side covers, will do the same to the tank

Back
Top Bottom