Nighthawk Bobber - CB550sc

Well, I finally got the PC on the rims straight and got the tires mounted. I went throught the frame again today to double/triple check that everything is inline. The front and rear tires are level and square with each other and the engine mounts are perpendicular to the wheels so I'm cool now. I'm going to remove the wheels and forks from it and have it welded then put the engine in it to start doing a mockup. I still need to insatll the rear fender and then place the footpegs and controls once the engine is back in. I'm kinda pumped cause I feel like I may be getting near the peak of this build. Sill have a few more things to buy like clutch and front brake controls, headlight and mounts, rear fender and a taillight. I think that I may be able to meet my April deadline if money allows!
IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

sxecafe said:
Nice progress, man. Feeling the white grips too.
The package that the grips came in said they were "titty"grips but they feel a little too hard to be using the word titty around them.
I did get a stainless bolt kit for the engine covers this week,it's coming along well. The saints have a playoff game this weekend so I'll have to wait until the following weekend to bring the cylinders to my cousins shop for a hone job. After that I should be able to get the top end of the engine completed.

Well, I figured I'd update this thread since it's been in limbo for a few months. I finally got my cylinders back from my cousin and three of the four cylinders honed out good. The number four has to be punched out and re-sleeved. I can't find any oversized rings for this bike. It sucks. I did find some larger pistons on ebay but no rings are available so it doesn't do any good to have those in hand. I'm going to drop the jug off today at the block shop. I'm starting to realize that a bike that has ben sitting around for awhile can be trouble. I had this engine sitting up for awhile and although it ran perfectly when I abandoned it, it's still a mess. Some valves on the exhust side must have been opened enough to let condensate get in and pit the sleeves right above the pistons. Anyway, I got the valves out and am in the process of cleaning the head and soda blasting it while my cylinder is being re-worked. I'll post pics of the engine when it's back together, it really looks slick with the silver case/ black jugs and polished aluminum covers.

whoa that frame is really nice. Its rare to see a shaft drive hardtail that looks like its been done properly. Exposed shaft is cool but are there going to be any issues with grit and crap getting into the seals and bearings? not poo pooing the idea, just curious.

I haven't considered the grim factor yet.The front part of the shaft is sealed so the only part that might reak havoc is where it fits into the shaft hub. It may require more periodic maintenance. I may be able to come up with some type of seal for that part, I'll have to look into it. Thanks. I left work Friday to drop off the block and the dude wasn't there! I ain't having any luck with this.

You may be able to adapt a CV joint boot from a small car like a civic or something. LOoks great so far.

Cheers

Maritime

This is how the shaft fits into the hub. The frame plate that it mounts to covers some of it but a little of the hub gear is still exposed. Maybe some type of boot will work to keep debris out.
20120502_185817.jpg

This is where the engine is now. I am going to try and drop off my cylinder to the block shop again today. The guy says the job should take longer than a week but less than a month. Funny stuff right?
20120502_190024.jpg

20120502_190038.jpg

I bought a CB160 speedo and headlight bucket so I am going through it to clean it up and hopefully get a new faceplate decal for it. This bike will be the culmination of various years of Honda parts that I dig, it's unfortunate the only thing that I liked about the bike before was the engine minus the shaft drive.

Well, I dropped the pistons and cylinders off and the outcome looks expensive. If I need to punch out all of the sleeves, it'd be about $800. There aren't any drop in replacement sleeves available so the will have to be made. Option two is to get custom pistons made and overbore all 4 cylinders to fit newer rings so that they are readily available. The bore is 60mm right now so it may go up to 61mm to fit 750 rings. It should have enough meat to go that far with it.

ProSimex said:
have you tried sourcing new jugs?
I did find some on ebay but it would be taking a chance that i would find something better than I have. And to think that I only had 14,000 miles on this bike. Being that they only made this bike for one year in the us, I doubt there would be a NOS cylinder out there. I do kind of like the idea of a bigger bore, it's 572cc right now. The thing to do would have been to swap the cylinder for the 650. It has he same bore with a longer stroke but by the time I thought about it,I had already put the cases back together and didn't feel like splitting them to change the rods and chain.

how did you chip your rim? just curious cuz i recently powdercoated my rims and will be putting tires on at some point soon.

7aliveatlast7 said:
how did you chip your rim? just curious cuz i recently powdercoated my rims and will be putting tires on at some point soon.
It chipped while putting the tire on. It was a poor powder coat job. I had them redone by another and had no problems.

Back
Top Bottom