1972 DS7 The Row Boat

clem

static fluff
DTT BOTM WINNER
I recently purchased an old smoker in semi rough shape. It looked like the perfect candidate to try and pull off a cafe type build so here I go.
When I first got the bike home I checked it out for spark. Fail. Step two, inspect the wire harness, looks like the regulator is missing. Damn! I then pulled the oil tank off and drained it. Water came out first then oil. This is starting to look like a challenge;)
The bike seems to have very good compression but I have not tested it with a gauge at this point. I did order a new regulator and now I'm contemplating trying to at least get a spark going or just take the motor out now and start rebuilding it. It'll get rebuilt no matter when it comes out but I'd like to see if I can at least get it to make some kind of noise and smoke.
Overall, I'd like the bike in a yellow and black scheme like the late seventies/early eighties motocross bikes. I may do a front end change depending on costs and I'll take a swing at making the seat for it. I don't have the stock tank for it but I was planning on putting a RD400 tank on it. If anyone has one laying around hit me up cause I'd rather pass some cash to someone on here if possible. I'm already thinking about 350 cylinders with the reeds and some decent chambers, I really dig the bare cone pipes. I'll be looking for some good input from here along the way.
20130127_154749.jpg

The points don't look good either:
20130203_165523_zps211e9813.jpg

Did I mention that it doesn't shift through the gears either? Lol

Good News:
The blinkers and tail light work!

Re: 1972 DS7 The Long Road

Nice! You'll love it. In that condition I'd suggest a complete teardown and rebuild. All new seals and gaskets are a must. No point in trying to get it running as is. Rebuild to spec and go from there. Trying to force it now could damage some internals.

If you're ditching that RD tank, let me know. I could use it

When the time comes, hit up BradJ here on DTT for chambers.

Other than the motor rebuild everything on these bikes is super simple. If you have any questions let me know. If I can help, I will.

Von, I think your right. With it not being able to shift through the gears I'd hate to have something loose or broken off and go spinning around in there. The last two stroke that I tore down to the crank was an 89 CR125 that Iseized the lower rod bearing on so it's been awhile. Looks like it's time to strip it down.

Oh and yea, the tank is yours. Just pm me what you think is fair.

Between me and von we got seveal 5 speeds if you have trans problem we got ya covered

Just to give an update, I bought a RD400 tank and a set of rearset from a R6(took the tip from Redbird's build). The fork legs are shot, they don't have pits in them it's more like canyons. Looking at Franks it would run about $297 + any seals, oil, etc. so I'm looking at a front end from either an EX250 or FZR600. I haven't done any research yet to see which one might be easier but I'm thinking that they both may prove to be a little work. I'm open for suggestions on the front end and I'll post some more pics when I get time to continue the dismantling.

If you can get FZR forks, do it. You can run an FZR rotor up front with an offset. Brad fan share more detailed info as he's done this all before.

VonYinzer said:
If you can get FZR forks, do it. You can run an FZR rotor up front with an offset. Brad fan share more detailed info as he's done this all before.
Cool, I never really cared for Kawasaki anyway. If Brad lays out the plan, will it include mashing things with a hammer? ;D

Ez does it . yo i got one ugly ex500 front end ill sell cheap i also got most of a fzr front end that already has a rd stem swapped into it that ill mabie sell

bradj said:
Ez does it . yo i got one ugly ex500 front end ill sell cheap i also got most of a fzr front end that already has a rd stem swapped into it that ill mabie sell
Brad I don't have a problem with hammers, I've got a few here and there. I just might take you up on a front end exchange. It could be a beautiful thing man. Is the fzr a usd?

I just got the new regulator and checked it out. I had spark on one cylinder but not the other. I am fine with that for now so I proceeded to take out the wiring and man that was so stiff. The wires were hard like an armadillo. I guess that will get chunked in the trash.
20130208_165224_zps739dc3f0.jpg

I scored this tank for a very good deal, I bought it sight unseen from Alpha heaven and it worked out well, this thing is clean!
20130208_170340_zpsa75f525b.jpg

besides some scratches on the stickers it's nice
20130208_170331_zps16059e89.jpg

my wife is going to like the next step.... going to hobby lobby to get some foam blocks :)

bradj said:
That fork isnt usd
That's perfect man. I've been digging your rd from hell, the fab work is coming out smoking.

Posting so I can keep track ;)

Clem, hit me up if you need anything.
Just a heads up... don't slide the 400 tank all the way forward when you fab up the rear mount. The petcock will hit the cylinder head if you do.

If you have spark on one side, try swapping the coil wires and see if the spark swaps sides as well. That'll tell ya if it's a coil problem or a points/condenser problem.

Clem...

Take Brad up on those EX500 forks. They should be a bearing swap away from being awesome.

Redbird said:
Posting so I can keep track ;)

Clem, hit me up if you need anything.
Just a heads up... don't slide the 400 tank all the way forward when you fab up the rear mount. The petcock will hit the cylinder head if you do.

If you have spark on one side, try swapping the coil wires and see if the spark swaps sides as well. That'll tell ya if it's a coil problem or a points/condenser problem.
About how far back did you set yours? The tank doesn't have a petcock on it right now.
I already yanked the wires out. If money allows I may go with an electronic ignition.

VonYinzer said:
Clem...

Take Brad up on those EX500 forks. They should be a bearing swap away from being awesome.
I will gladly take your advice.

Flip your orange tank and the 400 tank unside down and line up the front mounts match the orange tank or cut the fins on the head

I worked on the bike a little more today. Started the seat mold and took some more rusty stuff off. I found this little dude.
20130209_145912_zps2bc9511a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom