NORCAL Folks

Hey

I live in Santa Rosa! what are you riding?

I need to find some tires for my 70 cb350 then I can ride.

Dave

I too live in SF. I'd gladly ride with you if my bike ever runs again.
I took my '79 CX500 to Dave at O'Hanlon's a month-and-a-half ago because it would overheat halfway through my ride to work (from Ocean Beach to downtown).
He's told me he's done with the bike, it's beaten him and he doesn't know what's wrong with it.

I'd pull the water-pump apart, but I don't have anywhere to work on my bike here.
I'm originally from Fresno and have all my tools in my "shop" back there. No way to work on anything up here.

schjlatah said:
I took my '79 CX500 to Dave at O'Hanlon's a month-and-a-half ago because it would overheat halfway through my ride to work (from Ocean Beach to downtown).
He's told me he's done with the bike, it's beaten him and he doesn't know what's wrong with it.

I'd pull the water-pump apart, but I don't have anywhere to work on my bike here.
I'm originally from Fresno and have all my tools in my "shop" back there. No way to work on anything up here.

man that sucks. have you tried Charlies Place? They specialize in old Hondas, but take forever! I tried taking my bike there and told me they wouldnt even be able to JUST LOOK it at for another 3 weeks. Ohanlons is where i take my bike as well, im surprised they could work it out, although i have only gone there for routine maintenance its a nice place to get your bike checked out though.

keep us updated and hope to see you on the road soon!

schjlatah said:

Sorry to hear about the over heating issues. Do you have a thermostat for your bike? I think you do. Maybe that is the problem? I heard of guys taking the electric fan off the gl650 like mine has and use it on the cx500, with a simple switch.

ebay if you are aware has bunch of items for the cx 500 more than the gl650.

How long does it take for the bike to over heat? 10 mins 20mins?

I think I live 30 min north of sf..I live in Santa Rosa.

I never have anything beat me lol there must be a way to fix ur problems..its a machine thats all. ;D

I have to get my spitfires tires mounted up to my rims than I can start riding again.

Do you live in an apt? were you cant work on your bike?

baldandtopless said:
Sup Dave. i ride a cb750. you got a link to your bikes?

got my spitfire tires!! I need to order new tubes and rim strip and put it together and balance and I am riding.

cafe350 said:
Sorry to hear about the over heating issues. Do you have a thermostat for your bike? I think you do. Maybe that is the problem? I heard of guys taking the electric fan off the gl650 like mine has and use it on the cx500, with a simple switch.

ebay if you are aware has bunch of items for the cx 500 more than the gl650.

How long does it take for the bike to over heat? 10 mins 20mins?

I think I live 30 min north of sf..I live in Santa Rosa.

I never have anything beat me lol there must be a way to fix ur problems..its a machine thats all. ;D

I have to get my spitfires tires mounted up to my rims than I can start riding again.

Do you live in an apt? were you cant work on your bike?

Yeah, that's what I figure. Its only a machine.
It does have a thermostat (at least its supposed to). When I brought it to them, they told me there wasn't one in the bike. It used to take ~15 minutes to overheat, now they tell me it overheats going around the block.
I spoke with Dave (from Ohanlon's) yesterday and he told me that the bike would probably make it home for me, but I'd have to stop every 5-10 blocks.
I live in an apartment and don't have any tools here.
I have all my tools in a small shop (my bro's garage) back in Fresno.
I could pull the engine and see if there is anything wrong with the water pump but I can't do that on the street in SF, even less w/o any tools.

I was thinking though, has anyone tried an electric water pump for those bikes?
I was thinking that I could just plumb around the problem with this:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4YD55
Ever heard of anyone doing anything like that?

Got my new tires put on and had to order a new oem petcock because the original one was too old..what a difference when riding. Need to get insurance back on as the weather is getting better.

just saying hello to fellow norcal folks! representing Berkeley...Go Bears!!!...except that they lost against Duke today :(

GoBears0305 said:
just saying hello to fellow norcal folks! representing Berkeley...Go Bears!!!...except that they lost against Duke today :(
Whats up Berkeley?
I live in Moraga, lets meet up for a ride.
Love your ride man.
Ric
051.jpg

ricrein said:
Whats up Berkeley?
I live in Moraga, lets meet up for a ride.
Love your ride man.
Ric
051.jpg

For sure...it'll be nice to ride along side that triumph once i get this CX done (in the meantime, i'm on an '06 sv650).

BTW...did you happen to ride up University Ave today? I was eating at Brazil Cafe sometime around 7 and could've sworn i saw this triumph go by.

Figured I'd drop a line.

I'm a DC transplant that just moved out to the Bay Area for work. Living in Santa Clara. I have a serious love/hate relationship with my bike. The last time I rode it was in November after the throttle cable snapped and left me stranded on a highway near DC. I decided to bring it along with me and to my surprise it started right up and now I can't wait to work on it again.

Hopefully I'll see some of you around as I may need some people to bounce ideas off of.

schjlatah said:
Yeah, that's what I figure. Its only a machine.
It does have a thermostat (at least its supposed to). When I brought it to them, they told me there wasn't one in the bike. It used to take ~15 minutes to overheat, now they tell me it overheats going around the block.
I spoke with Dave (from Ohanlon's) yesterday and he told me that the bike would probably make it home for me, but I'd have to stop every 5-10 blocks.
I live in an apartment and don't have any tools here.
I have all my tools in a small shop (my bro's garage) back in Fresno.
I could pull the engine and see if there is anything wrong with the water pump but I can't do that on the street in SF, even less w/o any tools.

I was thinking though, has anyone tried an electric water pump for those bikes?
I was thinking that I could just plumb around the problem with this:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4YD55
Ever heard of anyone doing anything like that?

It's probably NOT the pump or the fan...In 25 years of working on these things, the only thing I've seen go wrong with the CX water pump is the mechanical seal. Not a big deal to fix, but usually indicated by a puddle of coolant under the bike...if you've still got coolant, it's probably not that. The fans RARELY go out. It's usually a thermostatic switch problem. You'll also want to check the overflow hose. They get clogged or pinched easily. Just take the speedo cable out of its casing, and run it through the overflow hose. Make sure it's not obsructed. If it overheats and the fan doesn't come on, try jumpering the thermo switch (brass thing near the top of the radiator). Make sure it's got power, and that the switch works. It should close at under 180 degrees. Let me know if you need any more info.

Back
Top Bottom