1981 Yamaha SR 250

rickyo.oj

Just picked up this bike with about 250 miles on it. Apparently the original owner bought it new in the 80s and then abandoned it in his shed for over 30 years. So not much milage on it, but time was still hard on it.
Thinking about doing some cafe style upgrades. It's for my girlfriend as she learns to ride so may wait to do anything asthetic until she can assure me she won't drop it. She's taking the. Safety rider course very soon here.
d4212509807abfc3c958936e50e0e18a.jpg

Fun little bikes. The airbox is really restrictive so if you make any intake mods the carbs will have to be rejetted. The frame is a little difficult to work with in terms of a straight line from tank to tail, but there are some killer examples. Solid plan to rip it around for a while before trying to make changes.

carnivorous chicken said:
Fun little bikes. The airbox is really restrictive so if you make any intake mods the carbs will have to be rejetted. The frame is a little difficult to work with in terms of a straight line from tank to tail, but there are some killer examples. Solid plan to rip it around for a while before trying to make changes.
I have been looking all over for a stock air filter since the original is missing the foam and the metal screen is rusted to bits. Not much luck finding one that seems right though. I might just throw the pod free on soon since those are easy to find, and get the carb rejetted.
Also the seat on there is in almost perfect condition so I thought I might try to sell it to go towards buying a cafe seat and hardware. Maybe a rear loop to tie the new seat better too.
Had a bit of a scare when I rode it home from the seller and it started to dump about a quart of oil out of the carb overflow...Turned out the guy had put about 3 times the amount of required oil. Easy fix once I calmed down and realized it wasn't a blown gasket or anything.

I'm also curious of this is the best place to get info and advice for this project. I chose cafe since that's the likely direction but I'm up for posting elsewhere if anyone has a suggestion.
This is my first Yamaha and have only owned and worked on Honda Cbs

Sent from my Nexus 5X using DO THE TON mobile app

I dunno -- but someone may come along and chime in, maybe there's a Yamaha thumper forum but I'm mostly CBs and have only owned one SR250. PO did the same thing with oil in mine and overfilled it.

Looks like you have a great starting point that isn't too haggered. I'm also working on an SR250 and have been having a lot of fun with it. Working on a single cylinder/ carburetor is nice particularly as it relates to jetting. What part of the world do you live in? I may still have my stock air filter and could ship it to you if you pay the freight? I will check when I get home and let you know... If you're looking for inspiration google is your best friend. There are lots of really cool SR250 builds out there. Make it your own and have some fun with it. I've just recently put mine on the road for some test rides and quite enjoy how nimble it is...

Good luck!

sbruton said:
Looks like you have a great starting point that isn't too haggered. I'm also working on an SR250 and have been having a lot of fun with it. Working on a single cylinder/ carburetor is nice particularly as it relates to jetting. What part of the world do you live in? I may still have my stock air filter and could ship it to you if you pay the freight? I will check when I get home and let you know... If you're looking for inspiration google is your best friend. There are lots of really cool SR250 builds out there. Make it your own and have some fun with it. I've just recently put mine on the road for some test rides and quite enjoy how nimble it is...

Good luck!
I'm in Minnesota, USA.
Working on the valves as I type this. Getting a little frustrated with the bootleg manual I printed off. Do you have a source for a good manual download or do I need to fork out for a Haynes manual?
Did you need angled valve gauges to do yours?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using DO THE TON mobile app

Back
Top Bottom