new cafe build cb450

so ive got everthing going well, but im to the point where im putting the cams back in, im reading and its telling me to use a new cam chain link? can i not reuse mine? anyone know where i can find one of these links easily? any reply would be appreciated.

couple updated pics of some painted parts

Attachments

• photo_1.JPG
    photo_1.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 1,623
  • photo_3 (1).JPG
    photo_3 (1).JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,651
  • photo_4 (1).JPG
    photo_4 (1).JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,668
  • photo_5.JPG
    photo_5.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,761
also went out and bought a 20 dollar blaster from harbor freight and ran baking soda through it to clean up the parts before paint, i must say its the best 20 bucks ive spent on this project thus far!

so i have the head pretty cleaned up from the soda blasting, going to use that engine enamel paint but was wondering if anyone has any tips about painting into the small spaces and what not? just go slow and keep my distance so it doesnt run? looks virtually impossible to get good coverage in the middle.. stay tuned

finally got back in the garage yesterday, made a little progress with the jug and head. prepped, painted and ready to go. also just picked up all the parts necessary (besides the obvious custom parts needed to fit) for a rear mono shock conversion, really excited about that, will have picture updates this weekend.

Attachments

• motor7.JPG
    motor7.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 1,414
  • motor2.JPG
    motor2.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 1,534
  • motor4.JPG
    motor4.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 1,538
  • motor.JPG
    motor.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 1,514
Woah, I'm building the same bike as you, and we have the same lawn mower. This is some parallel universe shit right here.

Gonna be real good to see the swingarm stuff you have planned.

lol yeah well its actually my dads.. apparently he's losing his mind becuase he has almost 4 acres of mowable lawn, and he decided to downgrade from a 90" mowing deck pulled by a john deere to im assuming this is something like 42"? it does however have a briggs engine in this husqy which is solid. yeah i am pretty pumped as well, one thing im currently thinking about is the rear wheel width. the wheel and hub i purchased is 2.15 wide, but i was hoping to run like a 120 rear tire.. i see aftermarket wheel hoops made by mooseracing where i can lace up a 2.5" wide wheel, considering it when the time comes.. i also saw some super motard hoops but they were like 4.5" wide, i couldnt even run something that wide because of chain to tire clearance correct? i did want to run the widest tire in the rear to match my beyonce like behind...

quick update, my cr500 rear rim wheel and brake caliper/master cylinder came today.. swing arm should be in tomorrow. still waiting for anyone to shed some light on the wider wheel hoop issue, this one pictured is only 2.15", i wanna run a 120 at least so i know ill need to replace this for a safe fit, they sell aftermarket wheel hoops (2.5") for around 125 bucks, but what issues would i have if i bought say a 4" hoop? would the chain rub on the tire? im also starting to think about the sprockets and how they will line up, of course i wont know what im getting into until the swing arm comes and gets mocked up.. any thoughts would be great! thanks

Attachments

• get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1,523
engine update, almost finished now...

Attachments

• motor16.JPG
    motor16.JPG
    712.3 KB · Views: 376
  • motor15.JPG
    motor15.JPG
    784.2 KB · Views: 372
  • motor9.JPG
    motor9.JPG
    477.7 KB · Views: 367
  • motor8.JPG
    motor8.JPG
    492.5 KB · Views: 361
engine/starter...

Attachments

• motor17.JPG
    motor17.JPG
    703.1 KB · Views: 344
  • starter.JPG
    starter.JPG
    415.7 KB · Views: 339
  • starter 2.JPG
    starter 2.JPG
    318.3 KB · Views: 387
  • starter 3.JPG
    starter 3.JPG
    664.3 KB · Views: 359
With respect to your planned rear wheel sprocket selection and geometry, there is a limiting factor that must be taken into effect. The front sprocket is offset to the left of the bikes centerline by so many inches. This laterial offset must be matched by the rear sprocket's offset from the same centerline. Any variance will cause the chain to not aligned properly on either front or rear sprockets.

I know that offset front sprockets from CycleX for the CB750 will fit on the CB450 output shaft as the splines match, but other than that I don't know if the leftside cover or clutch cable mechanism will allow for much. So before you go too far down the adapting road check your measurements.

yep will be looking into those issues when the swingarm comes in and we can get some good measurements on the sprocket alignments. any thoughts on the wider wheel hoop? its currently setup with a 2.15" which i believe and have read is too narrow for a safe 120 wide tire mount.. id like to get wide back there cause im debating planning on doing a sport bike front end.. thanks for your insight cqyqte keeps me in perspective for sure!

an unexpected update, but got a killer deal so i figured why not!? 07 GSXR front end

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,756
  • photo_1.JPG
    photo_1.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 1,759
  • photo_2.JPG
    photo_2.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 1,705
Cool - check the All Balls Racing website for a fork conversion tool to see what bearings you might need. Honda's are bad for bearing conversions though - you might have to swap out the stock stem onto the GSXR trees or otherwise made mods to fit things.

thanks tim, yeah ill have to check into that, maybe a little farther down the road, just getting the rear suspension in and going to tackle that first.. i stuck the front end into the honda stem and it goes 90% of the way through and at the last second it stops, if the top of the honda neck was bored like a 1/16" it would slide right through and work with conversion bearings.. although im not really educated just yet in this, so i will have someone else take a look when the time comes.. im more worried about having those adapters made at the cnc shop to allow me to use those calipers safely.

so im just getting ready to get the head and jug tightened down when i realize that the factory head nuts are stripped of the threads.. ive found some on ebay and what not, but i am wondering if there is anything special about these crown nuts? do i need to replace em with the same castle nut? any thoughts are appreciated.

I know two of the studs also act as oil passages to the head. If you don't have an acorn nut on those, I would guess you may end up with an oil leak.

Also, they have a weird size thread so make sure you get the right ones.

END OF LINE

nice thanks for the insight, looks like the twenty buck for the ebay purchase should be the way to go. might as well just go stock and make sure its right the first time.

Back
Top Bottom