EGLI frame, TR1 engine, build from scratch

Excellent. I enjoy the exhaust part of a build. I lathe turn a 2" heavy wall piece directly off the exhaust port and match the port and eliminate the gasket. The heavy wall also helps to pull heat out of the head.
I enjoy the workmanship but your designs are even better, again excellent job, this is an online tutorial.
Cheers, 50gary

Hi all,

Thanks again for the compliments! exhaust building is cool indeed :) It's my first one as with the whole project. In the summer there was a bit of a halt on the project, but now it's really going again, and all the stuff seems to work so far. After the exhaust the throttle bodies are next. The cable assembly is going to be a challenge... But after that, it will be time to start the EFI up and i'm looking forward!

@DuckHunterJon:
I'm afraid that's not going to happen... I live in the netherlands and this exhaust won't fit any other bike I guess... but thanks for the interest anyway. The mufflers are standard ducati monster S4R. I got them cheap as chips from eBay.... ($90 brand new) all the ducati boys change them for termi's and I need something standard to get it trough inspection.
ducati_monster_s4r.jpg

@50gary:
Good tip! I didn't think about the last connection piece to the cilinder-head yet. Is it OK to bolt a header pipe rigid to the cilinder head? I thought the gasket was needed to give "some" play to the header.

Best regards,

Loek

The work on those header pipes is fantastic. I think when Loekm says something has been "a challenge" you can be guaranteed that it has actually been an epic nightmare...

Humm? I never considered that possibility. I got that Idea from a friend that races flat track Yamaha 750 and used it on my Yamaha XS650 project years ago. I haven't had any problems yet and the 650 is quite a shaker. I also used it on my CX500 Honda cafe headers that I made (both sets are two into one) The other trick I do to my headers is to Ceramic coat them it works well and looks good too (there is a titianium color that looks upscale). I have a friend that has a coatings shop and we try to do in inside as well, really holds the heat in the pipes.
Cheers, 50gary

@ducatiboy:
Oooohhh. The back header pipe took two tries and a good deal of the weekend.... so almost 10 hours for a piece of pipe 60cm in length.... but it's good fun and the reward is big when you get there ;D
I'm expecting a challenge assembling the cables for the throttle bodies as well ;) The mechanism that opened them both at the same time won't fit anymore so I have to make something Tha does exactly the same. I haven't looked into this really but maybe there is something standard that works fairly easy ;D.

@50Gary:
That's good to hear.... if even the XS650 shaker :) and your racing mate's 750 have no problems then it will be goed enough for me for sure. Thanks for the tip again.

Best regards,

Loek

Wow, I can't believe I just now found this thread. I read the whole thing. I am definitely tuned in.

loekm said:
I'm expecting a challenge assembling the cables for the throttle bodies as well ;) The mechanism that opened them both at the same time won't fit anymore so I have to make something Tha does exactly the same. I haven't looked into this really but maybe there is something standard that works fairly easy ;D.

Take a look at the throttle splitter used on later air cooled DT125's - the one I have is the perfect throttle splitter for running twin carbs (instead of a single carb and oil pump)

It has a single cable entry and two cable outlet, the cables are thicker than most small bikes - I ran one on my BMW engine fitted with a pair of VM32 carbs and it self centres the two cables perfectly.

Alrighty then...

A small update on the exhaust. I finally got some time to tack the whole system together... It's far from finished, but so far I'm very happy with the result ;D. Decided to get rid of one silencer. It saves weight, looks better and is easier to fabricate... Hope it will not be to loud because I don't like "to loud" streetbikes... Whatever....

Pitures!

2012-09-22_17-51-00_304.jpg

2012-09-22_17-51-23_113.jpg

2012-09-22_17-52-06_570.jpg

Tomorrow back on the exhaust, fabricate the pieces that connect it to the engine and make a piece to seperate it into two pieces for mounting (that piece comes where the tape is on the pictures).

So more pics to come in the next few days!

Best regards,

Loek

Super job, good design, it get's my seal of approval. I prefer the two into one exhaust it's lighter looks like a race bike and has a different tone with a single point sound source. Your bike is going to look like a factory job.
Cheers, 50gary

Good day all!

Here's the exhaust on the bike. I had a bit of time to mount it to check the looks, first try.... not perfect, bit of tweeking and a nice result ;)

Result:
2012-09-25_18-40-06_835.jpg

And again:
2012-09-25_18-40-20_499.jpg

@50gary:
Thanks, your approval is always good to have. The few people that see the bike in real always ask did 50gary approve this? ;) ;D Now serious. I'm happy with the result myself. There's a lot to do before the exhaust can be called "finished" but it definitely has potential.

Best regards,

Loek

Best regards

I've been following this build for a while.
People following my build thread posted they wish they had my skills and my tools.
But, I wish I had your skills and your tools.
That's some meticulous craftsmanship.

loekm, HAHAHA, that's funny! Thanks for having a sense of humor as well as great design/build skills. Not that it will ever happen but I'd like to have a drink with you some day.
Cheers, 50gary

Hi all :)

Amonth ago since the last update..... Shame on me... so it's time for a "big-one". This weekend I've got a spare day as wel so i'll keep to the pictures for this round. And tell the storie this weekend.

Aluminium pieces to mount the throttle bodies including copper gaskets:
2012-10-04_18-14-49_695.jpg

Simple aluminium strip to hold the exhaust in place:
2012-10-04_18-15-03_554.jpg

Test fit of throttle bodies:
2012-10-04_19-12-06_194.jpg

I needed to make some sort of bracket to hold the injector in place:
2012-10-07_11-07-09_632.jpg

Bracket in CAD:
Beugeltje+voor+injector.jpg

Paper test:
2012-10-07_14-06-16_451.jpg