Summer sleeping quarters

Troy, you are an impressive man. The can do, make it happen, use what you've got approach to things is absolutely beautiful.

It is something that is disappearing from this country. You should take some of these build threads and pictures and hold seminars for today's youth. Go high school to high school showing kids what can be done with their bare hands. Get kids off their duffs and outside working/thinking/doing. Practical thinking and practical application. Yep.

+10000000 to what Justin said. To many kids just sit on their buts in front of something electronic and don't know how or why things get done! They need to learn and balance the games/phones/computers with hands on hard work.

Hahaha, You ask a kid today to help you put a stump in and he will start looking for an i-pod app for that.

valvesprung said:
Man that's gonna be cool
Thank you. I'm hoping its cool in more ways than one ;D . If the breeze off the water the other day was any indication then we should at least be comfortable ;D

Big Rich said:
Heck yeah Troy! It's starting to show it's potential now.......I'm glad you guys like that window (and it arrived to your place in one piece). What did the Mrs. say about it when she saw it? It was good to see you guys again - throw another hug in there for your dad from us.

On a side note: yes, those guys showed up after you left. So the CR60 is sold. And I'll talk to my father in law about that other stuff.

The window is fantastic Rich. I called home once we were close and got Suz out of bed :eek: . She didn't seem to mind, I guess, but she couldn't believe we were going to try to unload the monster with just the three of us :eek: .
Anyhow, it was great to see you and Meg as well. Dad and I both noticed how much she is glowing and we talked about it on the way home. It's sooooo close and we're all excited for you both!
Congrates on selling the CR! That's fantastic.
If you don't mind ask you father in-law about an entrance door. Best of all it will give us a reason to get together again ;D

Kanticoy said:
That last pic says it all man! Don't worry, Suz will be sleeping in there in no time! Great work brother, and give your pops a big ol' bear hug for me.
I dono Kiley at this point i'm not sure I'd want to sleep in there ;D . Hopefully it will start looking like something soon and I can at least show it to her. She's been working late lately and is yet to come down and check it out. I'm really hoping the windows are in and I have the floor scrubbed before she looks too close ;D
But anyhow, yeah looking at it there seems to be some real potential right?

He's over do a hug from me as well so I guess I can do a double one next time ;D

JustinLonghorn said:
Troy, you are an impressive man. The can do, make it happen, use what you've got approach to things is absolutely beautiful.

It is something that is disappearing from this country. You should take some of these build threads and pictures and hold seminars for today's youth. Go high school to high school showing kids what can be done with their bare hands. Get kids off their duffs and outside working/thinking/doing. Practical thinking and practical application. Yep.

Justin you are much too kind man but thank you for the kind words. I do agree with trying to motivate a generation. We really have turned into a generation of consumers and its kind of sad.
To be honest though, when it comes to these kind of projects maybe I'm just to ignorant to know that I shouldn't or can't ;D . I don't know what I'm doing but love problem solving. My pops is great at figuring solutions for this kind of stuff and I guess I'm trying to follow in his foot steps.

Maritime said:
+10000000 to what Justin said. To many kids just sit on their buts in front of something electronic and don't know how or why things get done! They need to learn and balance the games/phones/computers with hands on hard work.

Amen Mike! You know, maybe that's one reason I'm involved with the arts in our community. The arts really do help kids become creative thinkers, focus, problem solve, think outside the box and in general, be more aware of their surroundings. I didn't realize how important the arts are in children's lives until my children were much older. Anyhow, I guess in my own way, I'm trying to make a difference in the lives of children in our community ;D .

Maybe it's not the knowing the yes or no... or maybe it is.

Maybe it's just finding the problem and then figuring out YOUR answer... regardless what someome else says is right.

Maybe it's not setting for what is someone else's right, it's finding your own.

Whatever it is, Troy you've got it. Keep it up bud I do hope I get to meet and greet some day, you're one heck of a Guy, few and far between if you ask me.

frogman said:
Maybe it's not the knowing the yes or no... or maybe it is.

Maybe it's just finding the problem and then figuring out YOUR answer... regardless what someome else says is right.

Maybe it's not setting for what is someone else's right, it's finding your own.

Whatever it is, Troy you've got it. Keep it up bud I do hope I get to meet and greet some day, you're one heck of a Guy, few and far between if you ask me.

Thanks brother. You know, I've spent my entire life watching my father figure out how to do stuff. Maybe not the same way another person might have done it, but quite often the end result would be the same or even better. I think that's worth something ;D .
I really apprecite the kind words. But yeah man I hope to meet you as well. I have a small list going of people on these boards I really hope to meet before my time is up ;D

So we've put in two pretty hard days but not much exciting to show for it (kind of 6 steps backward to take 1 forward sort of deal ::) ). Anyhow, I did pick up two 6' windows for the front, for $50. Came at the right time because we needed to start building the front wall and until now, we wern't set on window openings.

Yesterday we built the center header and lowered the building in place. As little as that seems, it took most of the day. We had to use two jacks and had to wiggle the building into place.
Building the center header
DSC_0497.jpg

Getting the building lowered into place. It was an extremely slow process!
DSC_0500.jpg

At the end of the day, all lowered into place and ready for deconstruction ;D
DSC_0501.jpg

The building is this much out of square (the over-hanging part :eek: ) but soon to be fixed.
DSC_0507.jpg

Started removing metal
DSC_0511.jpg

This shot shows some of the cross bracing we did on the inside for the move
DSC_0505.jpg

DSC_0523.jpg

DSC_0517.jpg

DSC_0515.jpg

Building a temporary wall
DSC_0519.jpg

Removed metal for the end that was waaaaaaay out of square and also on the other front corner so that post could be removed as well
DSC_0524.jpg

Added some bracing to the temporary wall. Removed the Purlins and the posts. Time to work on making the building square. Removed the outside floor joist
DSC_0529-2.jpg

Pulled nails from the floor so we could cut it square
DSC_0531.jpg

Cut the floor (back to square)
DSC_0533.jpg

Cut the front fascia board and headers to proper length and added new side fascia floor joist (still need to add the treated fascia end to the headers, below the building). The building is now square and ready to build on!!! In the end after the metal is back on this end it won't look much different than when we started,...other than being straight and true.
DSC_0537.jpg

a little math on the top and bottom plates to figure and mark where the headers, jack studs and full studs will go. Should start to go pretty smooth from hear on out. Hopefully this weekend we'll be building the walls, adding windows and making her a little more weather tight
DSC_0541.jpg

When I was at this point on rebuilding my 80 year old garage (didn't have to move it, just had to replace 2 walls while leaving the roof intact and reside the entire thing) I started wondering why I didn't build new, but then I looked up into the 80 year old rafters and plank roof and remembered.

Hahaha. Did the same exact thing. We really considered tearing the thing down and rebuilding it but we quickly realized that a lot of the materials wouldn't have survived.

Finally a few steps forward.
Built the front wall today and got the windows in. I'm pretty happy with how strong it is. The windows have a header made of 2-2x8s sandwiching 1/2" OSb sheeting. There are 2-2x4 post and also 2 jack studs (totalling 4 -2x4s) on the side of each window
Dad building one of the shorter headers
DSC_0549.jpg

Headers in place.
They were nailed together then the wall was built using 3 and 4 inch decking screws. There are 3-2x4 top plates over the header and 1 plate on the bottom. Main reason for that many plates is due to spacing however, the additional strength won't hurt ;D
DSC_0550.jpg

Windows
DSC_0552.jpg

Still a lot of work to complete. I'm trying to decide on siding on the window wall. I may use metal as wainscoting then rough sawn board and batten above that? Just not sure yet??

Edit: Didn't mean to leave this one off:
DSC_0556.jpg

couple more
DSC_0566.jpg

Another major torrential down pour and streams of mud ran off the hill and into the pond. The poor pond's not had a break this spring
DSC_0572.jpg

DSC_0576.jpg

Looking good as always Troy! Give it some time, the pond will clear up before you know it.

Seeing that pic of your Dad hanging out the window made me think of the phrase "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".........

Nice Troy, this is really coming a long great. Best part is hanging with Pap while you work I bet.

Cheers,

Mike

Big Rich said:
Looking good as always Troy! Give it some time, the pond will clear up before you know it.

Seeing that pic of your Dad hanging out the window made me think of the phrase "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".........
Thanks Rich. I ended up putting the bottom feed overflow back on and it's really helped. It was removed for winter. The pond still has room to raise some but that can wait. Its the white pipe in the fore ground. Oh, and amen on not throwing stones ;)
DSC_0584.jpg

Tim said:
Would be an awesome place to work on a bike ;)
Agree! At the very least good winter bike storage

Maritime said:
Nice Troy, this is really coming a long great. Best part is hanging with Pap while you work I bet.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike. And yes, you hit the nail on the head!

Back
Top Bottom