aftermarket ignition switch not working

Rywilly

Hey all,

I got a lower profile igintion switch to improve the look of my 78 GS550, it was supposed to plug in no problems, as far as I know. Plugged it in to the existing plug on the harness and my gauge turns on, but nothing else, and it seems its backward. When the key is in the off position the gauge turns on, but when its in the on position everything turns off...

any insight, bad ignition switch, or is it me?

Do you have a multimeter that tests for continuity? I would start testing your wires. Could be as simple as bent tabs on the connectors. I have also gotten handlebar switches wired wrong. Usually the turn signal wires are swapped. So, that is certainly a possibility.

irk miller said:
Do you have a multimeter that tests for continuity? I would start testing your wires. Could be as simple as bent tabs on the connectors. I have also gotten handlebar switches wired wrong. Usually the turn signal wires are swapped. So, that is certainly a possibility.

If the turn signals wires are swapped that'll do that?

Rywilly said:
If the turn signals wires are swapped that'll do that?
No, I'm just saying I have gotten switches where things are wired wrong. I figured it out with a meter, and of course my lights flashing opposite.

Got the wires un-crossed as far as I can tell, but now bikes not turning over - its a four wire ignition switch but aftermarket.

Got pix.............? ? ? ?

Did it fire b4?

Do the wire colors on the switch pigtail match the wire colors on the harness.

I had one that didn't, change them to match, viola.

I'll have to add photos. It did start right up before, I think the switch is meant to be rated for 25 amps? Not sure this one is.

Any ideas on that? Looking for one which will fit my new custom set up - just not sure which ones out there would work.

Is the 25 amps the significant info?

It matters if it burns up a contact. Test continuity with a meter will tell you that.

Back
Top Bottom