Project Shinjimei- 73 TX500

Good deal man congrats !

Or some that has a parts motor sitting around ;)

Well, DeanJ, it didn't work on my end.... But if it works for everyone else, I'll call it a win. The point is, the bike runs. It needs tuning- badly- but it runs!

IMAG0186.jpg

My final solution for a torque arm for the rear caliper. Now to find a better photographer....

I took the week off to try and finish the bike for my birthday (yesterday), and I almost succeeded. Other than the turn signals and speedo, the wiring is done. Everything works... But I screwed up making the throttle cables and I have to start over. More updates to follow.

This has been a long hard road, it looks like you are about ready to reap your rewards. Congratulations on a nice bike.

Rundown, that is no joke. Can't describe how anxious I am to put some miles on this thing!

IMAG0025__edit_1407290174997.jpg

The LED headlight is bright as hell. More so than I even expected.
IMAG0026__edit_1407290205986.jpg

The gauge is cool, but I need to wire the power to a direct line. The illumination kills every time I turn on the high beam. Also, I need to move it back up in front of the top tree. You really have to be looking at it from a certain angle to read it, and on the headlight isn't it.
IMAG002_edit_1407290225274.jpg

The extra-loud low-tone horn is kind of a joke.... But it works a treat!

Alright! I got impatient, so I took the dirty bitch for a quick blast up and down the alley..... Shinjimei's First ride!: http://youtu.be/Y3GaQrN8tvE
Gotta say, I'm a little freaked out. The charging system doesn't appear to be working.... The brakes suck, and the motor, while really powerful, is really noisy. Like, possible rod-knock noisy.... Didn't get too up close and personal, so I'm hoping it's a loose head-pipe on the exhaust, but damn.... It sure would suck if this motor is cooked after all this work....

Yup. Charging system was an easy fix- had the wrong wire connected to the regulator to energize the field . Brakes just needed bedding in. Unfortunately, the motor does indeed have a rod knock, and it's completely my own fault. I had intended to change the oil, before any sort of use, and forgot. The oil was really gassed out, and I'm pretty sure that wrecked the rod bearings . It sucks worse, because this motor goes like a raped ape. Seriously. Strongest 500 I've ever ridden . Oh well. Guess I'll look for parts to do a bottom- end rebuild.

IMAG0043__edit_1408843085545.jpg

This is my best friend Jake with my bike. You'll notice that it's not in my garage! I decided to take her to bike night at the Quaker Steak and Lube. Unfortunately, that's as far as it went. Whence, the thumbs down. Seems riding a bike with a rod knock is a bad idea.....
IMAG0044__edit_1408843140318.jpg

Soooooo.... I had to get her trailered home to get ready for a motor swap. You can see I'm thrilled. Lol.

DSCN9364__edit_1410668105577.jpg

Thanks to deanj, the resurrection begins! I bought this lovely '78 bottom end to replace my fragged '73. Can't wait to hear it again!

Did you get the charging system working ? Could there be air still in the brake lines ?

Oh, yeah, I thought you saw my earlier post! I just had the wrong wire connected to energize the field coil, so yeah, the charging system works, and the brakes apparently just needed bedding in.

Looking forward to hearing her run again ! I was great to meet you and the big man Jake ( I have never seen anyone palm a 500cc engine with one hand before ;D)

Lol thanks Dean! Was great meeting you, too. Yeah, Jake is a good friend to have around when you need something heavy lifted.

Back
Top Bottom