parting out

mikeadamstattoo

Coast to Coast
when you guys did your builds did you sell your un-needed stuff for funding? or did you keep it around just in case?

im gonna have extra stuff left over (oem seat, tank, bars, mirrors, etc) but when i got the bike the guy gave me a TON of extra shit that i think he bought for no reason.

the starter switch on my bike is in PERFECT condition, but he included a BRAND NEW never used one. i looked them up on ebay, $90 just for the starter switch alone?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-GS400-GS550-GS750-starter-switch-OEM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem518a7173b0QQitemZ350215041968QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

is it worth that? should i try to part this shit out on ebay? if so i made a list of the shit he gave me as extra

- full ugly ass fairing.

- hardshell bags with tail lights.

- soft bags

- trunk rack and trunk

- 17" 5 spoke rims (2)

- new starter

- new controls switch

- original seat

- original tank with a minor ding (he gave me a rusted tank too which i had stripped and i recently primered and am using for my build)

- 3 chrome chain guards (WHO NEEDS THREE CHROME CHAIN GUARDS??????!!!?!)

- 3 sets of the same mirrors. (once again, why?)

- chrome rear fender with tail light.

- oem sidecovers (he included 2 sets)

- extra seat cowl (sorry JRK is getting it)

what do you think i could ask for all this nonsense?

on a side note: first snow is happening right now :( :( :(

Holy crap Mike - get yourself another frame and a motor and you almost have a whole other bike! I'm sure at least that fairing could go for a pretty penny. If you KNOW you aren't gonna use it, I'd say sell it. There's stuff in that list that seems like it is a pain to search for on ebay + cl and I'd guess somebody would love to have it.

We had a litlle bit of snow last week but right now it's that icy rain crap

yeah ebay is nuts! the sidecovers alone people want $40 per side!?

i bet i could make close to half or more for what i bought the bike for. nuts.

and yeah its snowing flavor-less-slushies right now. i let my dog out and he gave me the "wtf dude?" look

So what bike do you have?

And yes, I parted out my CL350 and almost recovered the cost of the bike. That funded a majority of the build.

--Chris

to be honest i do a bit of both... i put some stuff on ebay (the stuff i know that will get me $50 or above... the rest i put in the parts shelves if i know i can use it... that way if anyone ever needs stuff and i have it i can send it out to them... alot of that stuff is really cool stuff, the bags and fairing would be awesome to stash away for a bagger build or something... it is always cool to have some parts on hand so when someone is hurting for something you can pop it in the mail for them...
I just sent a front fender and side covers to a buddy in missouri... helps keep builds cheap for everyone... if not... ebay is always there man, put it on there and it will sell!
i would buy a set of mirrors off you if they are the stock ones (i am going to turn my KX200 to a restoration)
wish i had something for those saddle bags man, they are so good to have on long trips!, have you thought about making them quick release for your bike, i know they are not pretty but having them is nice so you can take the bike on trips! exp as it starts to get colder you can pack up a jacket and warmer clothes for the girl... (i think you said your girl rides with you) and i know in michigan you can leave with it 70* and come back with it 20* outside...
all you have to do is sand them down real nice and paint them to match the bike... i can help you make them quick release so 2 bolts will hold each one on... My wife rides and without bags i would not put on near the miles i do... when she gets cold she has everything she needs right there... plus we can take weekend trips that way as well. ok enough from me
(you can even make a slice so when you have the bags on they tap into your brake/tail lights and are functional with a quick release plug)
turns your bike from a cafe to a sport touring bike! (my XJ750 was set up like that, i would swap the bars from clubmas to drags, pop on the 2 up seat and back rest, and bags... did not look all that "cool" but we would tour on it!!!)

Back
Top Bottom