'71 CB450K4 Engine rebuild

cqyqte

Grumpy retired oldtimer... "eat a Snickers bar"
Okay here's the skinny, not much out there to assist in rebuilding a ridden hard and put away wet motor. I have found there are several Honda OEM replacement parts still available such a o-rings, seals and stuff, but when it comes to wear parts like pistons, rings and sleeves not much is on the shelf. Oh you can get standard pistons, and rings, hell you can even get oversized rings but they ain't going to do you much good if your cylinders are beyond standard specs.

I know Charlie's Place sells forged pistons and rings 1.0 or 1.5 mm oversized which will work with my stock sleeves given a rebore. Charlie's pistons actually resemble Wiseco KZ1000 pistons as they are 3 piece oil ring style but I can't be sure. I am told that you can use the KZ1000 sleeves in our cylinders with some modification, but then you have to use KZ pistons because the inner bores are larger than standard Honda pistons. I am also aware that David Silvers' sells 0.50 mm pistons and rings, but last I looked they are back ordered until available from his suppliers.

If any of you have gone this circuit I would be interested in hearing how you managed the feat. Can't believe that Honda would short change itself by letting service parts run dry. Sorry that's my rant....

Back
Top Bottom