1981 Yamaha XS400-"FLIGHT"

Re: 1981 Yamaha XS400-"no name yet"

I say it all the time man No one was born with knowing how to do this stuff we learn it as we go !

pr design said:
Still a little goo on it [...] I need to figure out something that I can finish getting the glue residue off the tank. I thought that the denatured alcohol would do it but doesn't seem to do much. Any issue with using GOO GONE on the Rustolium?

Why not try a little (mild) soap and warm water?

pr design said:
Dread, Canyon and Cycle, Thanks for looking in at what I got going on. I know I'm new and really don't have much of a clue, but I appreciate the comments. Going alright so far.
Phil

I don't know, seems like you are figuring it out pretty well. I did find this link on doing rattle can paint jobs. I have one coming up myself:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=10993.0

well I got the tank all painted.
I got the rust cleaned out. refilled the tank put the tank back on and tried to kick it over.

The kick start is not engaging. It is acting like the clutch is pulled. I am wondering if the overly long cable and the fact that I readjusted it according to the repair manual (at least I think I did.) Is actually not fully releasing the clutch cable Therefore not allowing my kick start to engage. I also clicked through my gears and the neutral light never blinked off.

Any one got any idea about that?

TANK pictures after the clear coating.
558737_3786726786529_1761146479_n.jpg

294578_3786726866531_995771231_n.jpg

Tank looks great man !
I had the same thing happen to my XS500 with the kicker thought i had Fuk something up inside the motor. Came down to the way i had the worm gear in and how it was adjusted. As soon as i pulled the left hand side cover off the kick acted normal again . Put the worm gear back in but left it real loose and everthing seems fine now .
Was messing with my clutch last night with the lever and adjuster . Im running clip ons and lil lower on the tree with a stock cable . Well stock bars are a bit high so needed a way to get some length out so took a nylon spacer and drilled it out . If the 400s cable are close to the 500 then the part of the cable thats on a mounting point under the side cover you can make a spacer for it to help take slack out the cable and should take care of it . Heres a pic of what i mean .....
adjust.jpg

Thanks Dread. I think that the clutch tension is the issue. I might have to shorten the cable. It seems like it is overly long and I think that could be part of the issue. I would figure that the spring needs to have tension on it to return the clutch into position.

DeRusting the tank
405214_3790757327290_1126191871_n.jpg

The supplies
599247_3790755327240_1690193722_n.jpg

Adding screws to break loose rust.
431097_3790756047258_1156484832_n.jpg

Getting my Shake on.
488381_3790757887304_148064932_n.jpg

Alright the clutch.
Access point of the cable.
549604_3790759247338_232269417_n.jpg

Inside the case.
551836_3790758447318_657461634_n.jpg

Spring position
390795_3790760087359_1879702265_n.jpg

574962_3790760807377_89243496_n.jpg

So is the spring that is attached the worm screw supposed to be under tension when it goes onto the bike? Or should it be free of tension?

So the 400 is dif then the 500 i would think a lil tension is ok! just keep at it youll get it !

See if I can insert a Facebook video upload.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3801242389410

How did the inside of the tank work out ? I need to do that to my LS2 tank ...

The WD40 product made the rusty spot look dark black. Metal Rescue looks good and leaves a zinc coating. No place around here had it.
I used the cleaner, then drained it and sprayed about a can of WD40 in and shook it up. then rinsed with gas. and filled it up
fixed for now I guess

So the bike is running. It sounds great. With a fully charged battery, I have found a few more things that are going to need to be dealt with.
1-Yesterday I started the bike and when the bars get pushed back and forth the engine revs. This is problem two that I am going to attribute to the original cables that where on the bike before putting on the lower handle bars. The other is the clutch issue which I'm still messing with.

2- Electrical. The break light is on all the time. I think this is cause the switch at the break lever is failing to stay in the hole that it is supposed to clip into.
3- The headlight falls to turn on at all. So either it has a short or is just burnt out.

4- The bike might be running a little rich as well. This might be from? The PO drilled out the baffles of the mufflers. Wondering if this is causing not enough back pressure. That is just a pure guess.

What it comes down to is more messing trying to get this road worthy this weekend.

So I thought maybe just maybe rerouting the throttle cable might help my revving that it is happening. So the down side is in order to get the cable loos the carbs have to come out. Got everything rerouted and had the idle adjusted to the 1200 range. Sounded very happy.

I put the tank back on and started it back up and it revved up to 4000. Tank off and the idle is right back down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBouX77chfc&feature=plcp

As you can see every time the cable is moved it is revving the motor. Will getting a shorter cable or shortening the cables myself solve this issue? With the tank on the bike it forces that cable down hence the revving.

I could be wrong but cable looks routed in the wrong place.When your mounting the tank its pushing down on the cable to make it rev.Have you lubed the cables ? If the cable is routed right then a lil shorter cable might be needed .

I rerouted the cable. It had been going through the top of the Triple tree and then down the right side. of the bike with the clutch cable. It was revving in that position as well.
before it was running down the original high bars and down into the triple tree. with the lower bars it was having to loop up to the tree then down through and right back passed the cable. I thought it might be better to have less curves in its path to the carbs.

So yesterday I had some kind of magic touch. I rerouted the throttle again and no issues with revving.
pulled off the clutch cover and next thing you know the kick start is working again.
I started the bike today and the headlight is working. The clutch still is engaging really late in the let off, but i think it is some thing I can get used to.
Oh I road it up the street and she seems to be running much better with the carbs cleaned of Gunk. I need to get used to driving a manual clutch again. I felt a little dumb cause I stalled it out trying to down shift. Then couldn't get it to neutral to restart it. Then stalled it again by bumping it into first without pulling the clutch. ;D All of this at the spot where the road was blocked by the ASPLUNDA guys trimming trees.
Definitely need the beginners riders coarse.

Still sounds like clutch is not adjusted right to me man !

So I have been working on getting the bike ready to get it's inspection done so that I can get a license plate on it, and start riding. I bought the necessary brake switch that was broken and installed that. The tail light is working properly now.

The last problem that I've got to deal with is my headlight isn't working. I bought a multimeter so that I could try and figure out where the issue lies. If you put it on the headlight to see if the filaments are intact, they meter reads a closed circuit. So this leads me to believe the light isn't the issue.
Went to the fuse box next to check the headlight fuse. It appears intact. The multimeter reads zero on all the fuses when the bike is running. Not sure how to take that.

I checked if the 2 relays under the carbs are getting power and ground and they both read on the meter. this makes me think that they are alright.

Get up to the handle bar switch for the Low Beam High Beam and it register zero. 4 wires. Neg and ground nothing, neg and hot nothing, neg and high hot nothing.

So would this mean that I have something between the relay and the switch, or the relay is getting power but not sending the power on to the handle bar switch and therefore not making it to the headlamp.

I'm missing out on some of NC best riding weather. Maybe it would be wiser to just replace the 2 relays and see if that makes a difference.

Today I figured out what I believe is the issue. I tested the relay with the meter.
Black in black and then the red testing the other three.
8016058894_48d770f7f1_c.jpg

color wire diagram(found at www. xs400.com) credit where credit is due.

With the black in the black and the red here, at the red/yellow, there is a voltage reading.
8016061819_49a2eef2ee.jpg

black and white voltage reading
8016060763_b95b2dced6.jpg

black and blue/black NO voltage reading.
8016058508_5fea4a81f8.jpg

the blue/black runs over to the handle bar HI/Lo switch. which intern runs to the headlight. No voltage no headlight?
Does this sound right? Time for a new Relay? Hope they aren't expensive.

Ordered the relay today. 72.00 Shipping 16.44 REALLY. Called the place and asked if they could use USPS instead of UPS and they told me no. I told them 16.00 for a 1.5" cube is outrageous. But it was still cheaper then buying at the local shop. And the shipping date is between Oct. 2-7 Next week. Order on a monday morning 16.00 for shipping a 1.5" part. Not arriving until next week. Is it me or does it all sound unreasonable?

Back
Top Bottom