1972 Honda CB 350 project # 1

Aircoolin said:
So you're thinking carbs right of the bat?

I'm pretty sure the slides inside the carbs are even. They snap back perfectly after I got the cable to work correctly.

I have not messed with the idle screws yet, I will check to see where they are set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i am just saying you must do pretty much what i outlined FIRST all of it..
start over do it right the first time
i am thinking that your idle speed setting is too low or non existent

Update! Turned the adjustment screws all the way in, then out 1 and 1/2 turns. Put some gas directly to the carbs and she fired right up! Good throttle response and everything.

More adjustments need to be made, and I have to get my Kill switch wired up correctly since the bike wouldn't shut off lmao!

Even though I only had a couple minutes after work to tinker, I'm pretty happy with the results tonight.

Joey

xb33bsa said:
i am just saying you must do pretty much what i outlined FIRST all of it..
start over do it right the first time
i am thinking that your idle speed setting is too low or non existent

You were spot on I think man! Thanks for the advice

I need help again... Got the bike to fire up now every time one the 1st or 2nd kick but the chokes gotta be up. I can shut one choke and the idle will be very nice, but if I have both off the bike stalls. What should I be looking for?

Joey

Aircoolin said:
I need help again... Got the bike to fire up now every time one the 1st or 2nd kick but the chokes gotta be up. I can shut one choke and the idle will be very nice, but if I have both off the bike stalls. What should I be looking for?

Joey
are the carbs set the same? slide height with idle speed screw ? you bench synched them ?
also synched the cables ?
float bowls are at least half full ?
then you may need bigger pilot jet
idle mixture screw is out how many turns far ?
also do you have emulsion type needle jets ?
what slide cutaway ?

You said you can open one choke and it will run fine, is it always the same carb that allows you to do this, or can you do this with either carb? Just wondering if one carb may be the problem. Sounds like you are lean, have you adjusted the mixture screw? Procedure will be in the manual.

HerrDeacon said:
You said you can open one choke and it will run fine, is it always the same carb that allows you to do this, or can you do this with either carb? Just wondering if one carb may be the problem. Sounds like you are lean, have you adjusted the mixture screw? Procedure will be in the manual.

mikuni vm carbs

xb33bsa said:
are the carbs set the same? slide height with idle speed screw ? you bench synched them ?
also synched the cables ?
float bowls are at least half full ?
then you may need bigger pilot jet
idle mixture screw is out how many turns far ?
also do you have emulsion type needle jets ?
what slide cutaway ?
They are benched synced, cables are also.. Haven't checked the bowls for fullness, but I figured it was good since the bike was idling.

I'm not sure what emulsion types jets are. And also not sure about the slide cutaway... If you could explain that's be great.

Thanks,

Joey

HerrDeacon said:
It doesn't differ from either carb. I can shut off either one and they both will react the same. I was thinking vacuum leak around the boot but I sprayed wd40 and it did not change the idle speed.

Thanks,

Joey

if it wont idle with both chokes closed then you need to turn in idle speed screws to raise the slides
try a half turn on each one until you get an idle with enrichenetrs OFF

Yeah I was trying this. I started at 1 1/2 turns out from closed and got out to 2 1/2 turns and it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

I need to make adjustments to both carbs evenly, correct?

Thanks,

Joey

Aircoolin said:
Yeah I was trying this. I started at 1 1/2 turns out from closed and got out to 2 1/2 turns and it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

I need to make adjustments to both carbs evenly, correct?

Thanks,

Joey

idle speed not mixture !! goddamit, leave the mixture screws at 1-1/2 turns out for now

Holy shit hahahahha my bad man! Is the idle speed on the side of the mikunis? I only have seen one screw that looks like it'd be the idle speed.

Aircoolin said:
Holy shit hahahahha my bad man! Is the idle speed on the side of the mikunis? I only have seen one screw that looks like it'd be the idle speed.

yeah the idle speed is the larger screw on the side that lifts the slide,
make sense now ? and adjust them evenly

Yeah man I'll research them a little better an find the adjustments I need!

disregard what it is doing with the enricheners on, with them on the idle may be really high you can only get a proper idle speed set with enricheners in the OFF position
preferably with a at least sumwhat warmed up injun
the enrichers are like a carb inside the main carb with their own passage way and they are making a complete bypass of the slide and jets etc and there is no way to adjust them and no way to adjust the carburetor with them on, IMPOSSIBLE to adjust and tune to the proper carb settings with them in the on (lifted)position

Yeah I understand, I know the chokes are to help the carb to warm up, then once it's warm you can properly adjust and tune them to the right idle speed air/fuel etc etc!

Back
Top Bottom