Finally got myself a bike. and its not a honda...

coyote13 said:
883's can be had cheap, and can be turned into a screaming 1200 or 1250 for very few bucks as well. This one was mine until recently...

I like the raise in the rear compared to the silver one earlier in the thread. This looks great!

I worked the last summer in our plant in Italy for 4 months. Harley's were so huge there it blew my mind. Something about going to a "biker bar" and eating caviar on small toast and drinking aperol spritz still makes me laugh.

A good friend I ended up making built a cafe sportster. He even had "Indiana Dunes" painted on the oil tank. I thought it was a joke as that area is where I am from but he made a trip for work from Buffalo-Chicago and stopped in Chesterton, IN. He said it was the most beautfuil place he had been. He said this while we were standing in a castle in Brescia at a bike rally! HAHA

They were starting to become more popular but the big road bikes were still the most popular. It wasnt uncommon to see groups of them flying American flags on the highway.

Thread de-rail over but good going on the HD!

425273_10102520819778888_1368713713_n.jpg

His bike

1000541_10102520820946548_930301845_n.jpg

179767_10102520821270898_847515708_n.jpg

and my dumbass sitting on it

993529_10102520822363708_743788529_n.jpg

999543_10102520828316778_1118776488_n.jpg

That's slick ^

Always wanted a set of those mag wheels for mine, they look really good on a caffed sporty.

Gearhead, is the intake you have the one in the OP? If so that's the stock spam can intake, and I'd imagine there's a washable K&N filter in there. Either way, you should take a look at your jets to determine what size they are, then go from there.

coyote13 said:
That's slick ^

Always wanted a set of those mag wheels for mine, they look really good on a caffed sporty.

Gearhead, is the intake you have the one in the OP? If so that's the stock spam can intake, and I'd imagine there's a washable K&N filter in there. Either way, you should take a look at your jets to determine what size they are, then go from there.
The seating position while riding was pretty reasonable. I rode it around a couple times in the summer when he was riding the yellow pennzoil sportster in the background.

gearhead231 said:
On a side note, Ive been going though spark plugs like it was my job. They are carbon fouled. I looked it up and apparently the insulator resistance is failing or something. On top of that I dont really know if Im running rich or lean. I got the bike warmed up, idle set, and I screwed the enrichment screw all the way in and all the way out. Didnt really make much difference.
Now for you carb people. I have a K&N reusable filter on it, and straight pipes. The Jets looks like that have been swapped out. Unless the enrichment screw head is busted, why would it still run if it was all the way in?

BTW if you haven't noticed, carbs are like witchcraft to me.

choke stuck on?

+1 on checking the choke. My old honda dream is back asswards. Idles fine with it on warm....but chokes at about 30mph. My cb350 had a way rich condition from the PO......I moved the needle all the way lean before I stopped fouling plugs. Figure out your carb manufacturer and jump on a good Harley forum... But it is pointless until put the pipes on that you want. However learning how that carb works will save you hours of frustration. Some carbs have idle air screws and some have idle fuel screws.... If you have a needle you should be able to adjust quickly. Beauty of the harley is you only have one carb. And by the way one cylinder will run lean on the harleys (can't remember which) they will never match front to back. A good harley guy can sort this out for no more than a hundred bucks maybe two tops.

Ellwood, I was reading up on the most common problems with plug fouling. Turns out that if you let you bike idle for too long it can foul. So I leaned out my *fuel screw* and started idling the bike less. Seems to have helped a lot. The weather in Iowa has been absolutely perfect for riding so Ill probably save pulling the carb off for a rainy day. I love that you said a "good" harley forum. Most of the ones I've looked at are a bunch of old guys complaining about their brand new fuel injected bikes, or trying to find the latest chrome bits. My DTT family has proven time and time again that they know more than a lot of these "bikers".

Im in the process of trying to figure out my photobucket password so I can post more photos of this thing. I also shot a really short video of it running.

Here is some more pictures:

and I shot a short video. The sound quality is not great..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC30hKTEEZc

Finally took the time to make my handle bars straight. Left turns arent awkward anymore. And my buddy stopped by on his newly completed chopper. It was too dark for pictures. Ill try to get some soon

Quick update: I moved back to my apartment, where I go to school. Along with not having a garage, I don't have internet or electricity (close to my bike).
I got to Work yesterday and went to shut off my fuel. It petcock was extremely wet so I looked down and my petcock was spewing fuel from the bottom. I tried to get it home as fast as possible (I only lived .75 miles away). I hauled ass home and about .5 a mile from home I look down and I'm on fire. But it wasn't the gas. Somehow my battery was in flames. I quick jumped off the bike and ripped the battery out before the flames found the gas leak.
I'm ok, the bike seems to be ok. Now I just need to figure out how to afford a new battery on minimum wage.

Btw sorry if the grammer isn't great I have to post from my phone since I don't have my computer down here yet.
Pictures coming as soon as I can get WiFi.

My girlfriend bought me a new battery today. I tried taping up the wiring that were questionable. I got everything put back together. I thought I had fixed the fuel leak. There was a set-screw in the bottom of the petcock that was loose. I tightened it really well. When I went to go put gas in it, it started leaking again. I think the petcock is just a POS that my cousin bought. So now Im shopping for a new petcock for an aftermarket tank that I know nothing about. :)

I didnt even bother putting the battery in after it started leaking, so I dont even know if my Ignition Module is salvageable.

So Im making an attempt to save the ignition module. I cant afford a new one since they are 300 dollars. I taped off all of the wiring as best as I could. I ordered a new petcock and fuel hose. Unfortunately for me my tank is aftermarket so it does not use OEM Harley fittings. After searching for a 3/8th NPT LEFT FACING fitting for hours, I gave up and bought a right facing fitting. Im hoping that gravity and vacuum will be on my side. At least till I get a new tank.

Since my girlfriend bought me the new battery I thought it would only be fair if she was there for the first start up. That and I need someone to put me out if I go up in flames again.

Back
Top Bottom