"susie's" build thread

huhajamy.jpg

Until next week. Learning how to use 1080 3m film

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today's project was to make a new chainguard, wanted a shorter polished stainless one with some holes drilled along the side for looks.
a0d660b3bae18fcdc3f3f0a5f9bbcc85.jpg
here's a pic of the finished item before polishing
c8a89a88850abbc5f6dd7547e5a3d0e2.jpg
heres a pic after polishing
b8e1fe611c7cc27978968ed5aea1e3f7.jpg
and here's a pic of it fitted, I think it suits the look of the bike well....time to think what next weeks project can be?

Had a little play with the bikes performance today, firstly I confirmed what jets were fitted as they had previously been changed-it turns out a 95/45 combination..I did try swapping from 45-48 but couldn't get it to run right at higher revs so swapped back. Fitted a Posh racing CDI unit, jury's still out as to whether or not it has made any difference? Changed the front sprocket to a 17 tooth, didn't really give me the extra increase in mph I was hoping for? Maybe I will try swapping it back and putting a 34 on the rear instead..im sure they equate to the same ratio either way but there's only one way to find out. I also let the exhaust breath a little better with aid of a 16mm drill bit. Pretty disappointed really with the performance gains made today-back to the drawing board.

What sort of top speed are you getting now ? I put a 16T front sprocket on mine without even riding it with a 15T , mine is reluctant to rev much over 8000rpm (on the Kege anyway!) but I get a GPS top speed of exactly 100kmh on the flat , maybe some more miles will up that a bit ? Mine is running standard up jetted carb & airbox with the snorkel removed , OO racing downpipe and a straight through megga with a 1" end pipe fitted .

Bojer said:
What sort of top speed are you getting now ? I put a 16T front sprocket on mine without even riding it with a 15T , mine is reluctant to rev much over 8000rpm (on the Kege anyway!) but I get a GPS top speed of exactly 100kmh on the flat , maybe some more miles will up that a bit ? Mine is running standard up jetted carb & airbox with the snorkel removed , OO racing downpipe and a straight through megga with a 1" end pipe fitted .
I'm getting upto 66mph on my gps which equates to 106kph - I weigh a healthy 100kg :)). My kege seems to rev to about 9500. Mileage wise I'm at around 2600km so should be nicely loosened up

Faster than mine then ! ;) I am about 90kg but 2M tall which probably slows things down a bit as I cannot get out of the wind !
Mine has only done about 200KM - have spent more time meddling with it than riding .....
For a bike that only claims a 52mph top speed, 66mph is good going :D

It's been a couple of weeks since doing anything to susie other than riding her - so today pulled my finger out and did a few jobs..
Firstly changed a majority of the engine bolts to stainless Allen heads, thanks HerbertD for your initial list of sizes
a3284329ccf1a2234b27940df01f4c13.jpg
bolts all ready after a quick polishing of the heads
5c19ea80b23c29110c2fbf797404d541.jpg
peace of mind knowing that if the need arises to dismantle the engine these bolts won't snap! A few of the originals had started to corrode badly so glad I changed them.
Next was to uprate the forks using the M10 nut/bolt technique..whilst the top yolk was removed thought I would give it a quick polish
158d875abfab233d5354dae5c720dac1.jpg
came up quite well
fc872171b22bd1ec430d8d3b6fd71106.jpg
when fitted it looks a lot nicer than the dull original finish
fe74dc07d84a0f9aa4b5e81ce10eb072.jpg

Marcusgarwood said:
changed a majority of the engine bolts to stainless Allen heads …

The original case bolts were definitely rubbish! Did you manage to get them all out without drama?
Several of mine required drastic measures.

I hope you remembered the anti-seize grease; galvanic corrosion between stainless steel and aluminium can have disastrous results.

Crazy

stroker crazy said:
The original case bolts were definitely rubbish! Did you manage to get them all out without drama?
Several of mine required drastic measures.

I hope you remembered the anti-seize grease; galvanic corrosion between stainless steel and aluminium can have disastrous results.

Crazy
Didn't have any problems getting the original bolts out but did have a few nervous moments whilst initially loosening them, surprised all of the heads stayed attached. Some of the corrosion had eaten into the bolts and reduced the diameter in places by 0.5mm!
Don't worry Stroker I used Duralac anti corrosive compound-I've been using it in the marine industry for 16yrs with no issues so far.

HI Marcus

Just wondering exactly what work you did on the factory "sports" exhaust to make it less restrictive. You mentioned a drill in your post.

Also wondering what you did to the carb and airbox when you changed exhaust and whether you have that just right now.

Cheers
Richard

Back
Top Bottom