Speedfiends Camper Redo

Hmm. my bad than i guess. Didn't realise it's a place for all of us to post our "non-bike" projects. Thought it was for your caravan only. I really like your caravan and i'm sorry i gave the opposite intentions.

I'm interested in other projects here aswell. Once again, my appologies.

No harm, no foul. I'm glad you like it.

For the record, I do feel like this is motorcycle related. I'm planning on using it to haul bikes. But more importantly, we started thinking about a camper to use for the British in the BlueRidge Rally. An annual event that I've been attending since I was 6. My father always inculded us in everything he did. We share a love of vintage stuff and now he's my best friend (man, we butted heads when I was a teen.). My wife though, she does not fancy sleeping on the ground. And I thought this would be a fun progect we could all do together. I hope that my kids will have some great memories of camping and vintage bikes. And at least one of them will look after all the junk that me, my father and his father have been collecting.

If you'd rather talk bikes though, I do have a build going.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=27824.0

Progress pics for both progects comming soon!

Skinned.
IMG_0063.jpg

A spooky undeer the street light shot. Not half as scary as it looks inthe daylight.
IMG_0065.jpg

Then, check out what I found stashed in the ceiling!
IMG_0068.jpg

An old .32 revolver. loaded. It looks to be a pretty inexpensive hand gun. Likely bought at the sports counter of a department store. I didn't try to fire it yet. Gonna take it to an uncle who knows more about it.

Hope tp have the walls down and floor out by next week.

Hey this thing is awesome. Sweet gun! Did the skin come off clean so you can re-use it? Can you post more pics? I found a pretty good deal on a camper local on cl and I'm seriously thinking about jumping on it...

Yeah, the skin came off pretty well. I hope to reuse most of it. Theres one section, where a brach came down on it, that I'll have to replace. I can't find a replacment siding, so I'm thinking maybe somebody with a gutter break could make a piece for me.

It really depends on how rotton your camper is. If its only a little in the corners and the floor isnn't bad, you might not have to skin it.

The lil pistol is kinda neat. I was hoping to dig a little further and find a bag of hundred dollar bills or maybe D.B. Coopers stash. But no, theres still the floor though!

Very cool man. Ive always had a thing for vintage trailers myself. One of these days Ill grab one on the cheap. Looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

Thanks guys! No progress this weekend, too damn cold.

The pistol is a US Revolver Co. .32 cal solid frame. Made by Iver Johnsons Arms and Cycle works between 1911-1935. They were 2nd line guns made to use up old, left over black powder parts, sold by mail order and never listed in the IJ catologue. By most accounts, a decent shooter, but not much collecter value. about $50-100 depending on condition.

Yeah, thats what I thought. Gonna have my uncle clean it up and blue it for me. When i fire it I'll let you guys know.

Cool man. I have a little pistol my buddy gave me. It fires .22 shorts (6 shot revolver). Nobody I can find has ever seen one like it before. It has "Capt. Jack 1873" stamped into the body. Anyhow, little vintage pistols are neat... Haha

Speedfiend said:
Thanks guys! No progress this weekend, too damn cold.

The pistol is a US Revolver Co. .32 cal solid frame. Made by Iver Johnsons Arms and Cycle works between 1911-1935. They were 2nd line guns made to use up old, left over black powder parts, sold by mail order and never listed in the IJ catologue. By most accounts, a decent shooter, but not much collecter value. about $50-100 depending on condition.

I was thinking those were the pistols used by service men and police between WWI and WWII.

Yeah, I was hoping it'd be something really cool and valueble, but hey its still kinda neat.

Made a little progress. I replaced all the rotten framing. I'm almost ready to pull the walls down.
101_3404.jpg

Then onto the floor. Once the floor is up, it'll be the bare frame and axel. I was shopping around for supplies to refurbish the axel, brake pads, wheel cylinders and such, and found that it will be more cost/time effective to just buy a new axel. This brings me to someting thats been bothering me-how high my camper sits. Its like 18" off the ground. It looks like a mobile home. Frickin killing me. So I'll just use a 4" drop axel. I'll have to raise the wheel wells, no biggie. Something else I don't love, it doesn't have cut-outs for the wheel wells. I'm thinking of doing a scolloped cut-out.
101_3408.jpg

Love this. Been thinking abotu doing something like it for a looong time, good luck! I'll be tuned in 8)

I was gonna say decommission the gun and use it as a door handle for the camper. Or get a few more and make wind chimes out of them :)

Looks like Kiley's shop did a few weeks back.

Back
Top Bottom