1979 Honda cb650z cafe build

I debated on a rear brake light for months. Single round light, square, old school etc. I started thinking outside the box and searching for chopper lights. I located these LED beauties from After Hours Choppers. There called Pair O Tit Mouse Lights, lol, don't ask, I have no idea where the name comes from but looking threw the sight it appears he is motivated maybe by titties!! hahaha

For the install I will be counter sinking them into the metal seat pan. I will fab up a bracket that they can bolt to on the inside. Once the bike is painted these polished alum lights will really pop !!!

Attachments

• cb650 tit mouse lights 3.JPG
    cb650 tit mouse lights 3.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,110
  • cb650 tit mouse lights 4.JPG
    cb650 tit mouse lights 4.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,191
  • cb650 tit mouse lights 1.JPG
    cb650 tit mouse lights 1.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,157
  • cb650 tit mouse lights 1.JPG
    cb650 tit mouse lights 1.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,022
  • cb650 Brooks leather grips 4.JPG
    cb650 Brooks leather grips 4.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,141
Those handlebar grips are very nice.. Im interested in seeing how you make them work.

Well things have been moving along slowly with this project. My wife and I had our first child in August, healthy baby boy!! and I have lots of other projects in and around the house but things are getting done and I will have time this winter to finish the bike for spring!!

One of the big hurdles I had with this bike the past year was the rear rim / hub. Was having problems lacing it up then after talking with Devin at Cognito Moto we realized I had the wrong hub (Anyone looking for a polished 550 hub???) Got a new hub but still had troubles getting the spokes in. I finally shipped the whole works to Devin and he graciously got it done for me.

Here are a couple of shots of how she sits today. Now I can decide what shocks (and height) I want to order. Likely going with the Fox Podium R's. Would love to get the RC1's but I do have a few more big ticket items to get to finish off this bike.
Also getting ready to order all the Moto Gadget stuff for a new harness and a new set of carbs, Keihin CR29's.

Attachments

• cb650 rear rim 2.JPG
    cb650 rear rim 2.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 1,284
  • cb650 rear rim 3.JPG
    cb650 rear rim 3.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,298
  • cb650 rear rim 4.JPG
    cb650 rear rim 4.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 1,394
NICE!!

Tastefully done.

Like the Cognito Moto inspired swap too.

550/650s are a favorite.

I know how kids make projects take a back seat. Kids are your biggest improvement project. (Both them and you ).

Whenever you get back to being interested in working on the TR 6, my buddy has made his own coil-over system for that horrendous rear shock system that they have. You'll need it with that extra power you've got.
Have friends that "Rape the Queen" with 350 Chevy's in TR4s,a 289 in a MGA and a Quad 4 in a MGB.
Growing up in Watkins Glen, home of Road Racing in US, us locals have a Redneck hot rod mentality influenced by regular invasions from the sports car "Wine and Cheese" crowd ;)
Wondering how much that V12 weighs... probably about the same as an American small block and maybe less than that tractor motor they came with?

Love the bike. Can't wait to see it in paint.

Danny

thanks Danny.

The V12 weighs in at approx. 500 lbs., maybe a little less once I shed some of the accessories off. The straight 6 lump weighs in around 450 lbs so they are pretty close.

I'm hoping for paint soon.......just waiting for my rear shocks to arrive so I can set the ride height and weld up a few pieces.

Oilycafe said:
NICE!!

Tastefully done.

Like the Cognito Moto inspired swap too.

550/650s are a favorite.

I know how kids make projects take a back seat. Kids are your biggest improvement project. (Both them and you ).

Whenever you get back to being interested in working on the TR 6, my buddy has made his own coil-over system for that horrendous rear shock system that they have. You'll need it with that extra power you've got.
Have friends that "Rape the Queen" with 350 Chevy's in TR4s,a 289 in a MGA and a Quad 4 in a MGB.
Growing up in Watkins Glen, home of Road Racing in US, us locals have a Redneck hot rod mentality influenced by regular invasions from the sports car "Wine and Cheese" crowd ;)
Wondering how much that V12 weighs... probably about the same as an American small block and maybe less than that tractor motor they came with?

Love the bike. Can't wait to see it in paint.

Danny

Thank you, the tank is the original, '79 cb650. I rolled the rear lip in and under so the seat pan would fit a little closer. I also cut out the original fuel cap to install an aluminum. The old gas cap tabs etc are now gone. This is an older pic

Weasel said:
Great looking build, nice work. That's a big tank, is that the original?

Attachments

• Dime City gas cap.JPG
    Dime City gas cap.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 1,052
Thank you everyone for the kind words, its always great to hear your heading in the right direction. Anyone who's gotten into a build knows you get tunnel vision. Nice to have another point of view during the process!!

This build is killer! I've got to spend more time on Dotheton, great projects!! Get the Fox shocks, bend up a mid pipe and get that beast on the dyno. Like to see what your muffler flows like and sounds like of course. Really interested in how it handles with the Fox shocks.

Kemp said:
This build is killer! I've got to spend more time on Dotheton, great projects!! Get the Fox shocks, bend up a mid pipe and get that beast on the dyno. Like to see what your muffler flows like and sounds like of course. Really interested in how it handles with the Fox shocks.

Is this the Kemp I bought my exhaust header from???

Yes, the same. I've been busy since with more quite a few more pipes but not on website yet (CB750/900/1100, Kawasaki Z1/KZ900/1000/1100 etc). I can send you a dyno run pic/audio of my 650, really screams!

I'll have to find the time to read through this thoroughly as I just joined. Nice to see another 650. Its funny because there is a 1973 Triumph TR6 in my garage as well.

Back
Top Bottom