Look what I can do.

darockvo

I made this yesterday. I am not a machinist, so I think it came out pretty good for a rookie. Tho I do have to chuck it back up and drop the o ring groove a little deeper, due to it not fitting with it on.

that looks great !!
,there are specific dimensions for orings grroves,basically though you only want a little stickup and the squish allowed for by groove width..the principle being you cannot compress rubber,only distort it,change its shape

xb33bsa said:
that looks great !!
,there are specific dimensions for orings grroves,basically though you only want a little stickup and the squish allowed for by groove width..the principle being you cannot compress rubber,only distort it,change its shape

Yes, I understand the principal, but I didn't have any guide to go by, like I said, I am rookie. So I set it down half the thickness of the o ring. I figured it was easier to take more out than put it back in. So tonight I removed a little more material, and it fits SNUG.

Tim said:
So how does it stay in place once you have oil pressure?

I had to freeze it to get it to fit so I am not too concerned that it will push out. But just in case I drilled and tapped a hole near the edge I could use a button head to snug it in, the head sticks over the edge about 3/16 of an inch. I just wanted to make sure it was goin g to fit before I drilled the holes next to the edge.

That's the way I do them, except I machine most of the material from center section to reduce weight (usually down to around 1.2oz with screws and 'O' ring)
I think solid plug weighs around 3.5oz?
lightweightblockoff.jpg

I've got better at making them since I took this pic ;)
Making metal chips fly is just too much fun ;D 8)

Back
Top Bottom