NO TITLE IN SOUTH CAROLINA

ToastyTofu said:
i've been looking at bikes in the columbia area for the better part of the last two years: i am so glad that i didn't buy anything without a title.

yeah, there is a special place in hell for some of the people who work at the columbia SCDMV on shop rd.

p.s. i remember you mentioning earlier you were selling a bike? got a link? wanna pm me?

I agree.SCDMV sucks out loud,no matter where you live.

I will have a 92 Suzuki GS500E for sale after the first of the year.I'm going to go through it and make sure it is safe and ready to run.I don't want the buyer to have to deal with repairs.Just ride like the wind.

So did any of this get sorted out?

I'm looking to title in SC as well....
The previous few owners never had the title. Did a Vin check and all is clean.
Any advice.
The shop road DMV is 5 minutes away from me.

I haven't received my title yet.Payment sent 10-8.I haven't rushed Diesel450,but I gotta get my paper work so I can get a title soon.I will be ready for test and tune in about 2 or 3 weeks.I wanna get this bike sorted out because it's supposed to take me cross country to visit some friends and their under ground complex.

I just sent Diesel450 an email.He has never let me down and has always responded to my emails.

Yeah guys, going in today to finish all this up. working on 3 at the moment. sorry for the added delays. We lost a good friend last week in a car accident and have been dealing with that. time to get back to work though. I haven't let anyone down yet and I don't intend to!

Scott

diesel450 said:
Yeah guys, going in today to finish all this up. working on 3 at the moment. sorry for the added delays. We lost a good friend last week in a car accident and have been dealing with that. time to get back to work though. I haven't let anyone down yet and I don't intend to!

Scott

Scott,
Sorry for your loss.I hope everyone is doing ok with both your families.Good to hear your getting back into the groove.It helped me when I lost my Grandmother a little over a year ago.

To all my forum friends,
When I receive my paper work,I will post how things went with the SC titling process.Hopefully,my DMV won't get down on me like they have in the past.Maybe I so unaware of myself that I don't realize I look like a criminal.Nahhhh,that couldn't possibly be it.ROFLMAO!

Thanks diesel450.

Paper came in today.Now I gotta get the front end on the red bike sorted out so I can take it in for inspection.

ben2go said:
To all my forum friends,
When I receive my paper work,I will post how things went with the SC titling process.

Hey Ben,
Just wondering what happened with this?

LearnAsIGo! said:
Hey Ben,
Just wondering what happened with this?

I was told that I need a complete bike in running condition for inspection.Unfortunately I have had to rob parts from the bike to get mine back on the road.When I get it done,I have to take it to my county tax assessor's office,have it assessed by them,pay the taxes,take the tax receipt to the DMV,and fight with them over the fact that Maine doesn't title any motor vehicle over 15 years old.I will have the bike on the road, but it's looking like mid summer before I will have it ready to take in for the paper work.The DMV is just giving me a hard time as usual.

ben2go said:
I was told that I need a complete bike in running condition for inspection.Unfortunately I have had to rob parts from the bike to get mine back on the road.When I get it done,I have to take it to my county tax assessor's office,have it assessed by them,pay the taxes,take the tax receipt to the DMV,and fight with them over the fact that Maine doesn't title any motor vehicle over 15 years old.I will have the bike on the road, but it's looking like mid summer before I will have it ready to take in for the paper work.The DMV is just giving me a hard time as usual.

Thanks for the quick reply, so I live in SC and recently bought a '74 CB550 with no title from Colorado, but I did get a notorized bill of sale. If I go the Maine route, will I run into the same problems, or should it go fine?? Do you have any sugestions, before I attempt to title, like running a vin, is there a website where I can do that? Also, I do have another '74 cb550 with a clear SC title, do you know if I could do some kind of engine swap to get them both titled? Thanks for any help!

LearnAsIGo! said:
Thanks for the quick reply, so I live in SC and recently bought a '74 CB550 with no title from Colorado, but I did get a notorized bill of sale. If I go the Maine route, will I run into the same problems, or should it go fine?? Do you have any sugestions, before I attempt to title, like running a vin, is there a website where I can do that? Also, I do have another '74 cb550 with a clear SC title, do you know if I could do some kind of engine swap to get them both titled? Thanks for any help!

I can honestly say that I have no idea how things will work out for you.My problems is my local DMV in Spartanburg.I don't know why they give me such a hard time titling out of state motorcycles.I don't think it would be as big a deal else where in the state.SC won't title with a bill sale only,even if it's notarized.SC titles frames only and it has to have the VIN stamped in the head tube.They never rely on engine VINs as the engine can be changed fairly easy to a stolen frame.

Free VIN check here. https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

What ever happened? I see there has been nothing posted in a couple years.

I, too, am in Spartanburg and have never had any problem registering a bike from out of state. Just take in signed title and bill of sale, insurance proof, and tax receipt, come out with tag.

I have never been in the situation of not having a title, though. I would like to hear how things went and how bad it was. There are lots of bikes for sale that for one reason or another don't have titles, usually at pretty good prices.

SC recently adopted a "barn find law" which now allows for titling without a previous title. So titling should be even easier and we can take advantage of those poor suckers to the north. :)

The process is a bit convoluted and very poorly explained on the DMV website somewhere.

You still have to get it checked to make sure it isn't stolen first.

Flugtechnik said:
SC recently adopted a "barn find law" which now allows for titling without a previous title. So titling should be even easier and we can take advantage of those poor suckers to the north. :)

The process is a bit convoluted and very poorly explained on the DMV website somewhere.

You still have to get it checked to make sure it isn't stolen first.

Well those poor suckers to the north are helping a lot of us southerners get bikes on the road with no questions asked. Helped a friend use this to get his vehicle on the road.2 weeks and I think $77 later he was riding clean. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655441

Basically go to DMV and ask for Vin verification and if it runs let them know. They will be clueless so fake them out if you can... To avoid a reinspection. Fill out form and send in with pictures... Get conditional title. Only guaranteed in SC but that's better than nothing. Make sure it looks like a complete bike... They don't do frames only! I had dismantled my bike and they sent back frame pictures.... Luckily I had pics before I tore it down.

Here's something from the SCDMV website...

If you need to title a vehicle, mobile home, or trailer that is 25 years old or older, and you are unable to obtain the previous title, you may apply for approval to title a vehicle. Requests for approval to title a motor vehicle, mobile home or trailer are only processed by mail in DMV headquarters and are done on a case by case basis.

The current owner of the vehicle must be a resident of South Carolina evidenced by a South Carolina credential, a mobile home housed in South Carolina or proof of legal presence in South Carolina (see Acceptable Forms of Identification for more information.)

Apply for approval to title by submitting the following:

1. Affidavit of Ownership, Form TI-021A, which must include the vehicle and current owner information, and a statement indicating how the vehicle was acquired to include in detail how, where and when the owner acquired the vehicle, who were the seller(s) and/or lien holder(s), the condition of the vehicle and any other information regarding the vehicle.
2. Photographs of the vehicle, mobile home, or trailer from all angles (photos will not be returned).
3. Vehicle Identification Verification for Title without Previous Title, Form TI-021B signed by a SCDMV official. The vehicle must be taken to a local DMV branch by the customer for an inspection if the customer wishes to obtain a South Carolina title. If a unique identifying number is not affixed to the vehicle, you will be required to apply for a special serial number from the Department – Application for a Special Serial Number, Form 401-A before proceeding with this request. If the vehicle is not operable at the time of inspection, you may be approved to obtain a title that is branded “not for road use” only. Once the vehicle is operable, it will need to be inspected before the “not for road use” brand can be removed and the vehicle can be registered.
4. Additional Requirements for Mobile Homes
a. A letter or receipt from the county treasurer’s office indicating property taxes are current for the mobile home.
b. Seven (7) years of property tax statements in the current owner’s name; or,
c. Insurance company records indicating the home has been insured in the owner’s name for the previous 7 years or more.
d. The insurance documents or property tax statements must include the mobile home’s vehicle identification number.

These documents should be submitted to SCDMV by mail at Post Office Box 1498, Blythewood, SC 29016-0024. Once the Department is certain that no previous title exists for the vehicle, or can be obtained, the Form TI-021A may be approved and you can apply for title using the approved Form TI-021A in lieu of the previous title in any SCDMV office. The approval to title is not proof of ownership and cannot be used to title in a jurisdiction other than South Carolina. You must meet all other titling requirements as outlined in this section, including payment of use taxes based on the purchase price of the vehicle, and title and registration fees.

Back
Top Bottom