Home made blasting cabinet

thrillseeker

Been Around the Block
I decided I wanted to be able to do most of the clean-up work on the parts that are going to get paint/powder so I took the plunge and bought a syphon bead blaster. I was considering buying a blasting cabinet but the more portable ones don't seem to have a lot of room in them. the few I looked at wouldnt be able to accomodate my wheels. So I decided to make my own. This was a fun project. I still need to get better glove brackets because my current setup leaks and I end up with glass beads on my forearms. But all in all this setup is working quite well, even with my little 2.5cfm compressor! the compressor is running constantly but it keeps up and I have an inline water separator to keep the condensation to a minimum.

Blast-cabinet-1.jpg

Blast-cabinet-2.jpg

Blast-cabinet-3.jpg

Blast-cabinet-4.jpg

I added a hole with a homemade check valve to let air in while the shopvac is running but not let air/dust out. It seems to be working okay but when I have the shopvac running, the gloves still blow up like balloons so I think I may need to make the hole larger or something.
Blast-cabinet-5.jpg

Blast-cabinet-6.jpg

Here's a couple parts I started with:

Fork-lower-clamps-blasted.jpg

Fork-lowers-blasted.jpg

I've since finished the fork lowers, front wheel hub, and rear brake drum cover. Lots of parts still to go.

How is the shop vac attached? Is it setup to continuously recirculate the glass, or shop vac as you go and then just empty the vacuum back into the hopper when you run out of media? Thanks!

It's not set up for recirculating the media. I just have to make sure the shop vac is clean before using so I can dump it into my bucket. I came to the conclusion that my shop vac is actually too powerful for this so I may get one of the little $5 auto vacuums from Walmart or the auto store. Then it could be a dedicated unit and wouldn't try to suck the gloves out of their mounts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you add something like this before the vacuum, you will have a way of collecting the media and adding it back without clogging the filter or having to change it that often
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/dust-cyclone-kit-mini-blue-tornado.html

Back
Top Bottom