1976 Bonneville

martyman5000

For years I've wanted a BSA, my father had a few of them and had no luck finding one and slowly got turned onto the Triumphs. The latest Triumph T120 caught my eye and was seriously considering buying one next year until I went to Paris Ontario and saw this bike.

6147cd39-fc26-46e4-bac9-98be6217900d_zpsl6wg5ki4.jpg

I've had it a day and so far I've got the electrial to work, has good spark.

I want to make this into a runner that will eventually be stripped down and restored.

d00a08f1-4e62-4c09-a6a4-97934a85d84f_zps6kcrl95e.jpg

Looks nice from a distance up close tomorrow I will start to take pictures of the things I need to slowly strip and bring back to life.

bfe29c66-0205-4719-baad-b3406c901f73_zpskynurrc0.jpg

1976 Bonneville

Have some questions

The master cylinders are really rough is it ok to rebuild or should I buy new ones?

Found on broken spoke, ok to replace or just replace all of them with new

I want this bike to be a runner for two three day trips so safety is #1 but also
I'm not rich so if I can reuse original parts That would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

nice buy! you can just replace the single spoke, but i would check the wheel for true after doing so and tighten any loose spokes. If the MC bore is pitted or corroded you will need to get a new one. I have tried honeing old MCs and never had any luck.

There is (or was) someone offering a re-sleeve repair for those, but I don't recall who or where.

749766bb82e77b4e96d8ea6b181c3a31.jpg

Wired up aftermarket switches

af06beaf610e94cdf6970fa796397ba5.jpg

Hub dust seal confusion

96ff8280428b9ccbd66a804146aca9fc.jpg

Two came out when I disassembled, only one seems to make sense when putting back. With new sealed bearings I'm assuming no dust seal is necessary

e47aa33bc01d75467d47b6708861e59b.jpg
b74aa9d656987de2c070ac7a57e99922.jpg
179013360e04ca73a629def33318f4d0.jpg
So far going great, coated fuel tank and laced/trued rear wheel. Still cannot figure out spacing for rear hub its driving me somewhat insane. Should the lock ring for the speedo drive screw in and push against the bearing?

For that bike.. I'd do the mechanical / electrical restoration and clean it really awesome and forego a restoration. Something about a nice original unrestored bike. I did not have that option on my '69

3DogNate said:
For that bike.. I'd do the mechanical / electrical restoration and clean it really awesome and forego a restoration. Something about a nice original unrestored bike. I did not have that option on my '69

I could not afford a full restoration if I wanted to :p and even if I could I also prefer it to look a bit rough around the edges. I've already put on aftermarket clutch and brake handles, braided lines so it will be hopefully a runner for doing weekend trips.

martyman5000 said:
I could not afford a full restoration if I wanted to :p and even if I could I also prefer it to look a bit rough around the edges. I've already put on aftermarket clutch and brake handles, braided lines so it will be hopefully a runner for doing weekend trips.
Right.... Full restoration is NOT cheap... Agh the nickel and dime-ing on little pissy parts is killing me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3DogNate said:
Right.... Full restoration is NOT cheap... Agh the nickel and dime-ing on little pissy parts is killing me....

you could buy parts from Canada cheaper? I'm hoping to just get brakes, fuel system done before the fall and I will be happy. This sunday a bunch of guys meet close by where I live I hope I can finally get some answers to my hub question, seems like it should be a simple question.

I went through the same thing when I rebuilt my rear hub... I just followed the exploded diagram in the parts manual. The seals/spacers were not fun. If you look in my thread I had a dickens of a time with my wheel bearings.

3DogNate said:
I went through the same thing when I rebuilt my rear hub... I just followed the exploded diagram in the parts manual. The seals/spacers were not fun. If you look in my thread I had a dickens of a time with my wheel bearings.

Holy crap your builds are nice...which bike did you have the problem with? could not find anything about you having a problem with the wheel spacers.

martyman5000 said:
Holy crap your builds are nice...which bike did you have the problem with? could not find anything about you having a problem with the wheel spacers.

Thanks, I guess I didn't realize I didn't have my '69 Bonnie Link in my signature line.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66879.0

3DogNate said:
Thanks, I guess I didn't realize I didn't have my '69 Bonnie Link in my signature line.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66879.0

Ya wow nothing on my bike has been seized or stuck like that...looks like you have spent a wack of money on your projects. The 69 hub must be a lot different?

made a video even for my hub confusion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPKboJuzEfM

martyman5000 said:
Ya wow nothing on my bike has been seized or stuck like that...looks like you have spent a wack of money on your projects. The 69 hub must be a lot different?

The Honda was a MONEY PIT and Continues to be, (hateful little bike)... the XS was actually pretty cheap to build... the Triumph will probably end up costing me a wee bit under what it'll be worth when it's done... so it'll be worth it...

Sorry I've got no experience with the later '70s triumphs.

Back
Top Bottom