64 Triumph Trophy Bobber (Now FS)

Re: WTF did I get myself into 64 Triumph Trophy Bobber

Im looking for one of these as my next project, I loved doing my 71 T100c
This one is wow!!! nice work (ya bugger on the AF tools )

My first bike (in ~'74) was a later-model Trophy with bolt-on hardtail and a springer (way too much extended). Basically, TR6C is a single-carb Bonnie. I had both a monoblock and a concentric carb for it, and the monoblock with a float bowl extension was much better. The ride wasn't bad (but, I was in my early 20's) although the handling wasn't the greatest. Be careful with the rear brake. Mine was set up wrong by the shop that built it, and locked the rear solid at about 65 mph. I still have a big scar on my left knee from sliding down the road with it laying on my knee (protected the paint, though). I was a noob, but should have seen the crappy work (and should have done it myself, but I wanted a CHOPPER and didn't have much free time or a place to wrench. Or brains.). The bike ran well and the Prince of Darkness electrics just drove me to learn motorcycle wiring and carry a butane soldering iron with my spares and tools.

Experienced guys should have no trouble with one.

If you ever want to part with that thing... Please let me know. My girlfriend would kill me but I don't really care lol! Beautiful work so far!

Joey

jwdmotorsports said:
Nice! Triumph > Yamaha.
riiiigggghhht ::)

bike looks good jordan

bradj said:
riiiigggghhht ::)

bike looks good jordan

It has to be better than my yamahas... From my expierence, yamaha's are sent from hell possessed by demons. The purpose is to push men to suicide.. Likely to be reincarnated to another yamaha...

Progress? ;D

Very interested in this build!

Joey

Ditto! Been all winter, hope you've made more progress than I did on my Brit-Bike... ::)
Have you picked up your Whitworth tools yet? If so where. I am about ready to pull the trigger on these...

3/8 - 9/16 Combination wrenches on e-bay for $42
HERE IS THE LINK

$(KGrHqJ,!p4F!YGqLT+7BQhW(Cizlw~~60_57.JPG

And found these 6 point - 3/8 drive sockets after a bit of searching for $60.
HERE THEY ARE

$(KGrHqV,!qEE-vinqovEBPvmYlFE7!~~60_12.JPG

So, finally dug this out of the corner and got it on a workbench. Having issues with the push rod tubes to fit down on the rapper blocks. The rappers are installed correctly as the little bolts that hold them are lined up. The tubes hit the lowest fin on the jug..

I can shave a little off the fins and make it work, just want to be sure there isn't something else wrong here. Not sure how they came off easy but won't fit back on.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402492123.645567.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402492123.645567.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 780
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402492157.127876.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402492157.127876.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 775

Can you pull them away from the fins then slide them down push then towards the fins ot get the little lip under the last fin? or are they side specific and mixed up?

Here is a top down shot to show how it's hitting

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402493899.341572.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402493899.341572.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 778

Ive tried to angle it all around, and it always seems to be hitting a fin. Its a super tight fit so you really have to be straight on it to make it slide down. To make sure something didn't get out of wack, I did flip the tube over where it doesn't have the extra lip and it slipped over the tappet block. Ive watched a video from LowBrow where they did one of these motors and they just dropped the thing down and it slipped right on..

Something is weird then, I assume you tried fitting each one on the same side to see if one fits better?

Maritime said:
Something is weird then, I assume you tried fitting each one on the same side to see if one fits better?

Yeah, both of them had the same issue on both sides. My only other thought is that this paint is thick enough that its preventing them from going down. But its just black grill paint from a paint can, it shouldn't be thick enough to do this, nor would I think it would survive all the wiggling and moving around ive done without chipping off the fins.

I can take a carbide bit and knock just a tiny bit of the fin off and make it work, its just really weird

The paint could be just enough to do it. Also is there any rust on the tubes? that could be enough. I would think it wouldn't hurt to shave the fins a little bit.

In the close up pic there is a fin with chipped paint, it looks like a pretty thick coat.

Heve you double checked the parts manual to make sure you are using the correct push rod tube rubbers? They changed the tube design a number of times to try to stop the leaks. Modern top end gasket sets come with a few options.

Speedfiend said:
Heve you double checked the parts manual to make sure you are using the correct push rod tube rubbers? They changed the tube design a number of times to try to stop the leaks. Modern top end gasket sets come with a few options.

Its not an issue with the rubbers, the issue is that you cant get the tube onto the tappet blocks. If you look back a page you can see where it sits (way above the seals). It's gotta be an issue where the paint is to thick to clear. Im getting some carbide bits to cut just a smidgen of the paint/fin so that it'll fit. Once its on, then i'll have to measure squish on the seals to ensure I have the right ones.

Yea man, I saw that. I'm just trying to think of your problem from a different angle. Mostly cause I've never had an issue with push rod tubes clearing the fins. Is it booth front and rear tubes?Did they come off the engine easily? Hmmm. Weird. I guess it won't hurt to grind the fin back a little. At least then you can dry fit it together to make sure the head is going to sit down where its should. Hope you get it sorted!

Speedfiend said:
Yea man, I saw that. I'm just trying to think of your problem from a different angle. Mostly cause I've never had an issue with push rod tubes clearing the fins. Is it booth front and rear tubes?Did they come off the engine easily? Hmmm. Weird. I guess it won't hurt to grind the fin back a little. At least then you can dry fit it together to make sure the head is going to sit down where its should. Hope you get it sorted!

This bike was in parts when I bought it, so I didn't take them apart (this is where my headache is coming from). I spoke to the guy who took it apart and he said that he didn't have any issues. They are the original tubes, BUT the jug was replaced (with a jug from the same year). It could be something off with the Jug, I dont have anything to compare it to. Even if it was different, the tappet and the fins are from the same jug.. its just wierd.

My current plan is once i get some bits to file down the fin a tiny bit, get it back together then I'll pay extra attention to the squish on the gaskets. I read that it should be 1/16"

your pushrod tube if def the right way up, but i wonder if its the right tube at all... does it seat into the rocker box?

Back
Top Bottom