Wakesurf Boat Remodel

SONICJK

Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
Once again I'm going to post a completely non motorcycle related project, because, well, I like you guys and I like going back through build threads years down the line.

While I have been very busy not working on any of my motorcycle projects ::) i picked up another project.
It's a 2001 Tige 23V Wakeboard boat.
I want to turn it into a modern Wakesurfing machine.

It looked in much better shape than it was.

In typical fashion I decided fuck it I'm going to tear it all the way down because I can't help myself.

About a week later I decided to pull the engine as you can see. It needs someTLC, runs great but looks a bit worn, so it will get a freshen up over the winter with powder coated everything.

Attachments

• IMG_20170921_174401-1619x1214.jpg
    IMG_20170921_174401-1619x1214.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_20170921_180746-1619x1214.jpg
    IMG_20170921_180746-1619x1214.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 379
From there I moved on to the interior.
The tower came off to get some additional bracing, new heim joints, and new powder coat.

The first real order of business was upgrading the floor. This vintage of boat still had carpet floors and wooden decks. So the deck is marine plywood with a layer of fiberglass over the top. Over the years the fiberglass had flaked and popped and was just junk.
I want to go modern with the flooring with means gelcoat and seadek:
Like this:
53eefa0221b81e26f3b7db5025eb6ab1--marine-products-boating.jpg

That means the floor has to be perfectly factory smooth and beautiful. Shit.
There's a few options here, first is to just pull all the glass replace it, and sand it back smooth. This is a LOT of work and would never end up the way I wanted it to. I'm not that patient.
Option 2 is to recover the floor with a fiberglass composite board and then glass on top of that. That's what I did. This gives me a perfectly smooth surface for the final layers of glass making the sanding and fairing that much easier.

Made OSB templates, copied them to the Coosa board and glued them down with Polybond B39, which is like bondo on steroids.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Boom smooth surface for glass.

Attachments

• IMG_20170930_153444-1619x1214.jpg
    IMG_20170930_153444-1619x1214.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_20170930_154710-1619x1214.jpg
    IMG_20170930_154710-1619x1214.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_20170928_113913-1619x1214.jpg
    IMG_20170928_113913-1619x1214.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_20171002_174345-1619x1214.jpg
    IMG_20171002_174345-1619x1214.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 370
Sweet project Sonic!! 8) I love your plan. :D

How was the rest of the structure below the floor? Any stringer damage from water? :(

SONIC. said:
Thanks!
Nope stringers are rock solid thankfully.

Nice! 8)

I still hafta get into the Checkmate to see where it's at. I'd LOVE to get the same news. ;D I'm not holding my breath though. Older boats generally have lots of wood below the floor. The majority of the time there's at least some rot down there. :p The joys of owning old boats!! ;D

Looks like you're off to a great start brother! Carry on Sir! :D

Thanks!
Tige had a lifetime warranty on their stringers at this time, so they did a really good job of encapsulating them (to cover their ass haha) and used XL Panel which doesn't really rot even when wet.

Before I bought this one I looked at a few older Malibu's and Supras and all of them had mushy rotten stringers. I had to drill holes into some poor guys boat to show him so he would believe me.
All the motor mount lag bolts were spinning in the stringer so I told him the stringers were toast and I'd be looking elsewhere. He was adamant that his mechanic had just inspected them and they were in great shape. I said toss me that drill over there and I'll show you. Bored a 1/2" hole and as soon as I got through the glass it was like drilling into play dough. Needless to say he was not a happy camper.

Next up was the seating.
The boat originally came with twin captains chairs like this
tige-2300v-424773.jpg

But the genius that I bought it from "lost" the passenger side. He was using a yeti cooler in it's place, so I worked that into the deal :D

The captains chair was a bit of a novelty (lots of wasted space and lost storage), no one really liked it and it never caught on so all future boats have wrap around seating there, so that's what I'm going to build.

Once again I started with OSB (I have a lot of osb).
attachment.php

Once that fit like I wanted I digitized it and threw it on the CNC to cut from 3/4" Coosa Board.
attachment.php

I cut away a small section for the end to rest on from the existing seating:
attachment.php

And it fits like a glove.
attachment.php

I built the bottom the same way and then tossed a layer of glass mat on the back side for bracing. The front and top will get fiberglass cloth and be blended into the existing seating.
attachment.php

And that's caught up to there it currently sits.
Tons of work to do yet.

when you go thru the motor

get into the walters vdrive oil pump (the rest is bullet proof)

the oil pump has a drive sleeve that is either driven by a tang cut into the sleeve and bent over that fractures over time

or a stupid litte roll pin the fits down into a machined slot on the pump that can also shear off

i would replace just that and drop the sump and clean it and it will be good for a lot of years to come

they are great v drives

SONIC. said:
First the wife.
Then the doctor(s)
And now you.

Seems like a perfectly sane plan to me. :) Then again, an 'old boat' owner might not be the best one to judge. ;)

It's a mercruiser 5.7L vortech.
Not original to the boat so I'm not quite sure of the output.

SONIC. said:
It's a mercruiser 5.7L vortech.
Not original to the boat so I'm not quite sure of the output.

Cool. :)

Haha. You took the world's largest RV down to it's frame and built it into a luxury vehicle for the great American Rock tour and now you're doing a 23ft wakeboard boat that'll probably end up in a Kendrick Lamar video and you say,
SONIC. said:
little by little.

Back
Top Bottom