Coils

Mr-Wolf

Been Around the Block
I have a split ignition coil on my 1979 cb650, so I need to replace them desperately and as always cheaply. The bike is being bored to 61mm (due to corrosion from sitting) so the plan of buying nice new coils has gone out the window because I have to pay for that now. If anyone has coils they want to get rid of let me know!

Pretty sure I've got cb450 stock coils, or I have some of those yellow coils from MikeXS (never used)

Which do you prefer?

you need a dual lead coil ,pretty common 4 cylinder honda coil left oir right ?
i have a few you can have one for 20 including priority mail
post up some images of what you need so i can get you the one that mounts up without issues

xb33bsa said:
you need a dual lead coil ,pretty common 4 cylinder honda coil left oir right ?
i have a few you can have one for 20 including priority mail
post up some images of what you need so i can get you the one that mounts up without issues

Attachments

• IMG_2160.JPG
    IMG_2160.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2161.JPG
    IMG_2161.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 224
ok i got a set of 2 offa gs1000 suzi they look good no visible damage ill ohm ttest them in the morning
they look more like coils you would find on a honda 4 than those goofy ones you got there

Just as some general info, a lot of electronic ignitions seem to run 2.5 to 3 ohm coils, whilst points ignitions run 1 ohm or lower. Sonreir might be able to explain why this is, but I imagine it's something to do with running lower current through the igniters on the electronic ignitions ?

xb33bsa

Sounds good! let me know what you find out. my current ones hit 2.5 and the cracked one is 2.5-what ever the hell it wants. my manual calls for a 3ohm coil so those are obviously past due! I sent you a pm as well.

Hillsy,

Now that you say that, I used to have an xs650 and I remember the coils ohms being way lower then when I upgraded it to an electronic ignition. I'd be curious to know why that is as well.

Mr-Wolf said:
xb33bsa

Sounds good! let me know what you find out. my current ones hit 2.5 and the cracked one is 2.5-what ever the hell it wants. my manual calls for a 3ohm coil so those are obviously past due! I sent you a pm as well.

Hillsy,

Now that you say that, I used to have an xs650 and I remember the coils ohms being way lower then when I upgraded it to an electronic ignition. I'd be curious to know why that is as well.

One other thing - 3 ohm rated coils will usually measure at 2.5 - 2.7 ohms. They're still good (although your split coil doesn't look too healthy).

cxman said:
those "goofy ones" are the same as all 3 of my cb650s have

As long as they are the same ohm they should work though right?

Hillsy
Yeah the cracked one is toast, but I figure I should just replace them both

To add on to what hillsy is saying- your meter has resistance that must be accounted for- usually up to .5 ohm but most often around .3

deviant said:
To add on to what hillsy is saying- your meter has resistance that must be accounted for- usually up to .5 ohm but most often around .3

Thats a fluke... Just run it and see.

Shouldn't a meter know its estimated resistance and account for it? Whats up with all the youtube videos of people testing coils that read exactly what they should? Ya'll got me questioning everything now! would the coils from a gs1000 work? would the fact that I am over-boring to 61mm affect anything? is there a meaning to life?!?!

Tune-A-Fish said:
Thats a fluke... Just run it and see.

Hahaha!

Back
Top Bottom