1977 XS750 - Project Maggie Mae

on the rusted fork tubes man get that off of there, rust spreds, after it is gone, wax and you will be fine.

JRK5892 said:
on the rusted fork tubes man get that off of there, rust spreds, after it is gone, wax and you will be fine.

I'll get it off, but wasn't sure how the surface would be after removing it.

Okay, after seeing JRK's work with his carburetors I had to give it a try. Polished the diaphragm covers and painted the bodies. Working on polishing the float bowls now. Kind of have to ask myself why 'cause there is a lot of sanding in some tough spots. Need to do some touching up to both the paint and the polish, but think they are looking pretty good.

i htink it looks great man! nice work! will be an eye catcher when they are tossed into the frame brother nice work

JRK5892 said:
i htink it looks great man! nice work! will be an eye catcher when they are tossed into the frame brother nice work

Thanks, Joe. Funny thing is I keep telling myself that I will start reassembly soon and then I'll find some other little piece to do something to. Didn't take a pic, but I also redid the handlebar switches so there's another item I can check off the list.

Those carbs are gonna look GREAT! I've just added another thing to mental list of things to do on the bike. How much time do you have in pulling the carbs, prepping them, and painting them?
Thanks,
Alex

It has been quite a bit of time, but that's because I'm slow. Pulling the carbs and separating them was minimal, cleaning was probably an hour or so, painting didn't take too long, but the sanding an polishing on the other hand is over 6 hours (and I'm still working on the float bowls).

cretin75xs said:
What type of paint did u use? Or did you powdercoat? Looking good...

No powdercoat here. At least not yet. ;) Rust-oleum for the majority, but will use Dupli-Color High Temp for engine parts.

Wanted to get an idea of how the carbs would look once assembled. Still have some sanding/polishing to do and waiting on my new stainless steel bolts and rebuild kits to arrive, but you get the idea.

hellz bells that looks great! you may want to clear them in some high heat clear as well just to protect the black, gas is some mean stuff man and will eat into paint fast... a good layer of clear engine paint is pretty resistant to crap like that

JRK5892 said:
hellz bells that looks great! you may want to clear them in some high heat clear as well just to protect the black, gas is some mean stuff man and will eat into paint fast... a good layer of clear engine paint is pretty resistant to crap like that

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Carbs are done for the moment. Finished polishing the float bowls and the inside of the lower bracket assembly. Again, may go back and touch things up but this is where they sit until I get the rebuild kits and stainless screws.

Haven't updated in a week or so, but life got in the way a little. Did manage to do quite a bit of polishing (RHS engine cover, alternator cover, oil breather cover, and ignition cover). Have several pieces left to polish, then some paint to take care and after that I will start rebuilding the motor that goes with the frame (currently a spare).

Back
Top Bottom