GOT a Zookie! "OVERKILL!"

H.Daddy....that's looking sharp mate!
I dig the color combination really well too.....

Thanks for the props.
I've been busy working on the "look", relocated the stock rear fender about 5 inches rolled forward and now on seat mock-up # 3 in styrofoam. First was a smushed cafe' style bum stop, then came a street tracker style, but now am working on a solo seat that tapers gradually to the fender. Found a left side cover and have the it and the tank on for referance only, so don't judge their appearance. Fork gator, headlight ears, and black superbike bars are ordered and should arrive today! Should be able to get the forks back on and glass up the seat pan this weekend! 8)

...and installed. Gators were advertised for a CB750 but fit the GS750 forks like a golve! Headlight is fitted to get the look of the mounts orientaion, started out with them flipped but seem to be better this direction. Bucket is pitted so it will be coming back off but so far I am liking the look.

Thinking the rear spings need to be painted black instaed of silver, seem to stand out too much. Maybe once I get my tires and rear the wheels mounted it will tone it down but will keep that in mind

Don't think I have been slackin off...
6 layers of 'glass on the seat pan, pulled the buck and trimmed the excess.

Even more time spend at the sand blasting cabinet, wire wheel then got these bits painted with the epoxy paint. Going by what I have already installed, granted I was carefull with the socket, this VHT chassis epoxy seems to hold up quite well.

I started something new to me. Years ago I got a "Ding-King" for Christmas, you know one of those "AS SEEN ON TV!" things. :eek:

AAAACkMttFoAAAAAAA7X0w.jpg

I never believed it would perform the miracles they advertised so I just threw it under my work bench for about a decade. Well, this bikes tank has about 6 dents in it ranging from a half inch to the largest about 2 inches. I knew I was going to have to bondo it anyway so... what the heck. I dug out the old box and thought I'd give it a try.
Perforated Bovine IT WORKS!!! Slow and steady is the case here, each time the puller "pops", the dent is pulled out just a little bit more. The instructions say up to 10 pulls may be needed and that is about right.
When you use the hot glue gun to attach the pullers you have to wait for it to cool. Then twice, the first pull simply pulled the paint.
I rotated the bar around so as not to apply pressure in the same spots every time. After a couple hours I have 4 of the worst dents out to where you can barely see it in the reflection and feel it... but a few more hours and the tank should be in good shape.

Yesterday the Mailman brought my carb o-rings kit. AND I ordered my tires-n-tubes from Motorcycle-Superstore. Next week is going to be FUN! So in the mean time I keep working the scotch-bright on those wheels.

how have i missed this thread. great work as usual. and good to hear that the dent puller worked so well. i was thinking about taking a gamble because my tank has a small dent right on the top "bend". no way to easily bondo it how it's dented. was hoping something like that would do the trick. feeling a lot better about taking that gamble now.

OK, quick up date...
Carb rebuild hit a snag when the second carb I disassembled, #4, had a stripped flats on the fuel mixture screw from the PO. :mad:
Two days of PB Blaster and a little heat from the propane torch got it to move about 1/2 turn. Took my dremel and ground a flat in the top of the recessed screw. Ground down a sacrificial screwdriver shank and tip to get a good sharp fit and got it out!
UPS Guy showed up with my new tires-n-tubes, Shrinko 712's... Got the old tires off now need to finish massaging the wheels before mounting the new rubber :)

Oh, and teaching the Brother in law to ride a bike... bastard bought this for his first one.
'03 Sabre, 13K miles, $4995 and I got him new tires, full service, with the goodies and a helmet worked into the deal. He told me he'd rode before... come to find out it was 20 years ago... in a field... on a dirt bike... and he never shifted out of 1st..... Oh, and he is deaf... So I rode it home from the dealership for him and been helping him out since. It's been kinda trying on me to say the least. But he's getting the hang of it up and down our 600' driveway.

Made some progress. Shinko tires came so I had to step up a bit on the rim cleaning, Pinched the front tube and had to make a run for another the next day. But all went well after that. Lovin the look of these 712's!

Today after work I hit it good and hard. Rear wheel bearings replaced and the freshly painted -n-polished hardware installed.

Tomorrow I may be able to give the front the same treatment and be one step closer to being done. But there is a Bike Show I'd like to enter Bomber in and that damned "Honey-do" list I need to work on. ;)

... and the front!

Actually couldn't sleep and was out in the shop by 6:00! beat the heat and got it reassemble and now she's a roller! Looking at the stance I am thinking I need to drop the front a little, maybe an inch or so. Rear settles in pretty nice when I am setting on the frame with the springs on their softest setting. Going to play it by ear for now while I get those carbies done.

Welcome to todays episode of "Abuse Your Part"!
Todays contestant is Mr. Front Fender.

No matter how much love Mr. Fender recieved it could just not manage to hide the pitted and rusty chome and various small dents. But we have plans for him that will allow his donated pieces to once again be of use!
Introducing "The Die Grinder / Cut Off Wheeel COMBO"! (woop woop)

A few minutes of the Die Grinder on the four rivet heads that hold the fender to it's bracket, then a some taps with a hammer and punch...

...and we have a dirt cheap forkbrace!

After a brief visit to the sandblasting cabinet, the forkbrace will the receiving a fresh coating before being reunited with it's fellow refurbished parts it the front cutting edge of it's home for these last 31 years!!!.

looking great man! i do the same thing for fork brace they work great!!! lvoe the seat just perfect (pan) you thought about bobbing the rear more? cutting it from the flat side to roll it up more so that it keeps the nice lip that is naturally rolled in the fender. i think about 3 inches should do it

JRK5892 said:
looking great man! i do the same thing for fork brace they work great!!! lvoe the seat just perfect (pan) you thought about bobbing the rear more? cutting it from the flat side to roll it up more so that it keeps the nice lip that is naturally rolled in the fender. i think about 3 inches should do it
Thanks Joe, you read my mind exactly! I was going to wait until I decided what Tail light to go with. Then, once purchased I figured I would mount it in the originals holes and roll the fender forward mor until it looked "right".
Depends on if I go with another Cats eye, a Sparto (Limp Dick), a Lucas knock-off... or something completely different.

get a HD front turn signal... from a dyna, same as i used on the wing man would flow perfect! then you can just order a red lense... i would do that or even take the stock fron turn sig from the bike, cut that down and make it work wiht some translucent red paint
252548_10150215905818073_594008072_7197074_7677150_n.jpg

OH REEEAAALLLY...
Hmmmmmm, need do dump out my boxes of all those T/Signals I've removed from my builds and check out what I got... Thanks.

Ok... back to why I logged on. I spent some time over at my "new old mates" shop and stood in front of their buffing wheel for about an hour and a half...

The chain that I ordered Tuesday showed up today (Friday), couldn't wait to get it installed. DAMN! forgot how big the original 630 o-ring chain is! But at nearly 10,000 psi tensile strength it ought to work ;)

On a side note, I have been thinking about a paint job. Wanted to do an Eddy Van Halen's guitar design on "Bomber!" but pussed out. Being a Suzuki I want to go with blue and white, then today when I googled "EVH Guitar" I found it in those colors...Mainly for the tank and just one or two stripes extending down through the side covers.

What do you think? Too much?

5150blueTOP1-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom